6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 7:37 AM by retchemteach

2 questions

retchemteach

I have Premiere Elements 12 (Pr12) running on a new Win7Pro computer with 16GB RAM.  I have used Pr4 for years.

I have always thought that if one is burning a movie to a DVD disc of 4.7 GB capacity, then the movie should be around that in size.  I have seen in the disc burning menu that you can "fit contents to the disk" and if you uncheck that option, you can use the slider to choose the quality you want.  There have been times my movie was a little larger than 4.7 GB, and I used the "fit" option.

Yesterday, I made my first burn with my new Pr12 and new computer, and it went VERY well.  [I am finally happy].  The movie file was 5.2 GB in size, and as I was setting up the burn options, I UNchecked the 'fit' option just see what would happen (to learn), and I slid the button to 'highest quality'.  I expected an error message saying the 5.2 GB file would not fit.....BUT, as the process was happening, I saw a note that I was using only 1.4 GB of the 4.7 GB disk.

My first question is:

Was the Pr12 just over-riding my unchecked 'fit' option so that the 5.2 GB file would fit?  Or is there a diff. connection between the movie file size and what the 4.7 GB disc can hold?

I have another question that is unrelated.

How does one add the same transition to several locations at a time?  I don't want the transition on ALL stills, but it would be nice to do, say, 5 at a time.

Thank you, everyone, and especially, A.T.Romano for smoothing out this learning curve.  Life is much better now.

• 1. Re: 2 questions
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some general information

A standard definition AVI file is "about" 13Gig per hour of video... which is compressed a LOT during the conversion to the MPEG2 format that is inside the VOB files on a DVD

Most of that conversion is because an AVI file has full information in every frame of the video, while an MPEG2 file has a full frame followed by some number of "difference" frames which contain difference information that is interpreted at playback, and then another full frame and more difference frames

Link to DVD Demystified FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/544206

• 2. Re: 2 questions
            retchemteach Level 1

I guess I am being dense, but I was hoping for some sort of statement of

what movie file size can fit on a standard 4.7 GB DVD disc, unless that is

what you are telling me about the 13Gig/hour.  If that is my understanding,

you are saying for my 23 minute video, the file size would be 4.98 Gigs? I

had added up all the smaller avi files inside the compilation file, and I

got 5.2 GB, which agrees with the file size shown on my computer's file

details.....not the 4.98 Gigs I've calculated with your ratio.....but that

doesn't matter, because I still need to know: *How come my 5.2 Gigs file

(23 min) fit on a 4.7GB disc?  I did NOT choose the option to "fit" the

file on the disc.*

If the tech info can be simplified a little, that would be great.

Thank you.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM, John T Smith <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: 2 questions
              A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

First, the DVD disc that is labelled 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB. The DVD disc that is labelled 8.5 GB/240 minutes is in reality 7.95 GB.

4.7 GB/120 min disc capacity is 4.38 GB.

If you do not have a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space and you want the High Quality product, then you can add no more than 4.38 GB

to that disc with the Bitrate max 8.00 Mbps (megabits per second).

But if you work with a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space, you can add upwards of about 17 GB to the disc but at the sacrifice of a lowered bitrate (lower quality) to decrease the file size from 17 GB to be within the 4.38 GB Space Required. But, by this time the bitrate has gone from 8.00 Mbps to the lowest possible 1.69 Mbps. Do you really want that quality product?

The "insufficient disc space" message is the "enough is enough" notification.

When you get to the point where the program's Fit Content to Available Space can go no further with lowering the bitrate to make the fit, typically you will see

With check 4.38 GB  .1.99 Mbps .....still status ready

Without check mark 17.54 GB 8.00 Mbps....still insufficient space

With check 4.94 GB  1.69 Mbps....insufficient space

Without check mark 23.38 GB   8.00 Mbps....insufficient space

Here even the 1.69 Mbps cannot lower the file size of 23.38 GB to fit into the 4.38 space.

The above should answer your question

How come my 5.2 Gigs file

(23 min) fit on a 4.7GB disc?  I did NOT choose the option to "fit" the

file on the disc.*

If not, please let me know and I will give the explanation another try.

If you are determined to add 5.2 GB to a 4.7 GB/120 min disc, then work with a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

to stay within the disc capacity, but at a lower than max bitrate. The lowered bitrate may not be as steep as 1.69 Mbps. You may get

away with maybe 6 to 7 Mbps and get acceptable end product quality.

The alternative is to work with no check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space in order to lower the bitrate manually to get a file size

that will permit you to burn to disc. Advise...go with the check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space and evaluate result.

ATR

• 4. Re: 2 questions
                retchemteach Level 1

Thank you, those were my thoughts about whether or not all the video would

fit on the disc, which is why over the years if my video file exceeded the

disc size by a smidgeon, I would check the "fit to available space"box,

and the burned part of the disc would not be 'full'.

This time as an experiment, I did not check the "fit" box (I actually

unchecked it), and I slid the 'quality' button to the highest quality

setting, and the disc still burned.....soooooo, maybe the program did an

over-ride and just didn't warn me or tell me and did the fit process any

way.   That is what made sense to me, but without the warning statement of

reduced quality or whatever, I felt there was more information 'out there'

that maybe my stated file size (5.2 GB) had a different connection to the

DVDs capacity.

Do you know the answer to this one?

How do you add the same transition to more than one clip at a time?

I Googled this question, and the 'answer' I found was:

"To add a transition to more than one clip, select each clip and drag the

transition between one of the selected clips."

That did not work for me.  I don't want a transition between all clips, but

it sure is a pain to add them one at a time.

As always, thank you, and I have finally found a way to mark a question as

"correct"......this old dog is slow at learning new tricks.

retchemteach

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 2:55 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: 2 questions
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

Thanks for the follow up and details.

If you want to apply transitions more than 1 at a time

a. You select all the clips involved

b. Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition

With regard to selecting all....either Edit Menu/Select All if that is what you need or hold down the Shift key of the computer main keyboard as you click each of the clips to be selected all at one time.

Default Transition ...I believe the Adobe default video transition is Cross Dissolve and the Adobe default audio transition may be Constant Power.

If you want a different default transition, then go to the transitions display, right click the one you want as the default, and then click on the resulting pop up

"Set Selected as Default Transition".

ATR

• 6. Re: 2 questions
                    retchemteach Level 1

Thank you, again.  This explanation sounds very clear.  I'll try to do the

"question answered" on the forum site.  The last time, I was NOT

successful, even tho' I had been the time before that.  Ahhh, senility.

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 8:31 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>