5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 8:25 PM by Szalam

Render slows down and hangs

ncrashb

Hello,

This is my first post and have done some research on my issue, but forgive me if I've missed this being covered in another thread.

I have a 45 minute audio file which is being used in my After Effects project to generate a visual audio spectrum using RedGiant Trapcode Sound Keys.

I also have random particles floating around, nothing too crazy though.

Other than that, just a background photo and a logo photo in the center of the frame.

No matter what, which each render I attempt, it will start by estimating 25-30 hours. It will then render a few frames per second until it gets to about 20-30% done, then it slows down to about one frame every 5 seconds and ETA spikes to 70+ hours then just disappears.

I've let that run for 50 hours and it barely makes any more progress past 30%.

At that point, I cancel the job and check the output file. It plays no problem up until the point where it hung, and at that point the file is already 11-13GB.

The render settings that I've tried so far are:

1280x720

60fps

30fps

Quicktime:

h.264

animation

apple prores 422LT

photo - jpeg

Limit video bitrate to 5000kbps, 1000kbps.

Audio AAC, 44.1khz, 128kbps, 160kbps

My computer specs are:

iMac 21.5" (late 2012)

OSX 10.10.1

i5 2.7ghz

8GB ram

nvidia 640m 512MB

OS and apps are installed on a Thunderbolt SSD. Scratch/cache and file export to internal HDD.

Using AE CC 2014 and RedGiant Trapcode plugins up to date.

My next idea is to try rendering this on a friend's PC which has better hardware specs than mine.

Any & all help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

• 1. Re: Render slows down and hangs
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

45 minutes is a long time.

Also, you only have 8 GB of RAM? That's a pretty small amount for AE work.

Try rendering to an image sequence (don't worry, you can put the picture back together with the audio later in Premiere).

Then, when/if it stops working, that's okay. Simply start another render, but only render from the frame it stopped on. Is it able to start the new render reasonably well? If so, just do this until you have every single frame you're meant to. Import that image sequence into Premiere and put the audio with it. You'll find Premiere does a much better job of making an h.264 that AE did anyway.

• 2. Re: Render slows down and hangs
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's probably that your particles were never dying and you're running out of RAM. Make sure you set a reasonable lifetime for your particles.

• 3. Re: Render slows down and hangs
              ncrashb Level 1

Rick,

I just checked the particle settings. Life is set to 10 seconds. Life random 100%. They fade in, float around a bit, then fade out.

RAM never seems to exceed 70% while this is rendering. I have AE allocated to 7 of my 8GB.

• 4. Re: Render slows down and hangs
                ncrashb Level 1

Szalam,

Good idea. I thought of this also but wasn't sure the best way to execute it.

What render settings would I use to accomplish that then?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, can't upgrade the RAM on these new iMacs

• 5. Re: Render slows down and hangs
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

N C wrote:

Good idea. I thought of this also but wasn't sure the best way to execute it.

What render settings would I use to accomplish that then?

jpg-sequence.jpg

Or a PNG sequence or a TIFF sequence or a...you get the idea.