4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 9:59 AM by Dirk Becker

xmlObject - set value of element with a particular attribute

Ronald63 Level 4

Hi,

In a xmlObject I try to set the value of xml element with a particular attribute but it doesn't work

//get value of element with a particular attribute
      var myValue = xmlObject.ELEMENTS.ELEMENT.(@category == "myCategory"))// works fine
      //set value of element with a particular attribute
      var myValue = "foo"
      xmlObject.ELEMENTS.ELEMENT.(@category == "myCategory"))= myValue // doesn't work

Thanks for your help

Regards

• 1. Re: xmlObject - set value of element with a particular attribute
          Dirk Becker Level 4

It would be helpful if you provided working examples. For example your xmlObject is undefined and your "works fine" has an additional closing bracket.

Anyway, how about this:

var xmlObject = <xml><ELEMENTS><ELEMENT category="myCategory"/><ELEMENT category="myCategory"/></ELEMENTS></xml>;
          var myValue = xmlObject.ELEMENTS.ELEMENT.(@category == "myCategory");
          $.writeln(myValue.nodeKind());
          $.writeln(myValue.length());
          myValue[0].appendChild("Here");
          $.writeln(xmlObject.toXMLString());

Dirk

• 2. Re: Re: xmlObject - set value of element with a particular attribute
            Ronald63 Level 4

Hi Dirk,

For example :

var xmlObject = new XML ( "<rootElement> <elements> <element category='foo1'>value1</element> <element category='foo2'>value2</element> <element category='foo3'>value3</element> </elements></rootElement>");
            myValue = xmlObject.elements.element.(@category == "foo1");
            $.writeln(myValue)// return value1
            // Now I want modify value1 to value99 like this
            xmlObject.elements.element.(@category == "foo1")= "value99"; //doesn't work

I hope I was clear in my explanation ;-)

Regards

• 3. Re: Re: Re: xmlObject - set value of element with a particular attribute
              Ronald63 Level 4

Hi,

I found a solution ...

var xmlObject = new XML ( "<rootElement> <elements> <element category='foo1'>value1</element> <element category='foo2'>value2</element> <element category='foo3'>value3</element> </elements></rootElement>");
              $.writeln(myValue)// return value1
              // Now I want modify value1 to value99 like this
              xmlObject.elements.element.(@category == "foo1").setChildren("value99") // works fine
              $.writeln(myValue)// return value99

Thank for your help

• 4. Re: Re: Re: xmlObject - set value of element with a particular attribute
                Dirk Becker Level 4

This E4X(?) XML syntax is powerful but you can easily get lost with wrong node kinds. That's why my answer included the $.writeln of the kind - "list" - and used an index for the modification; I found after posting that your assignment would also have worked on the indexed single element. Thanks for sharing your finding with setChildren() - that apparently also works on lists.

Dirk