13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 6:15 PM by heathrowe

what video formats do we have to include? webm?

juanpol12345 Level 1

As I see in the documentation, The best way to include video is including MP4 and OGV formats, for the browser automatic selection of the right one,

but is it useful/necesary to add a WEBM format too?

Any other one?

Tx.

• 1. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?
          juanpol12345 Level 1

I see the usual windows browsers use the MP4 format to play the videos.

In which configurations is OGV format going to be used?

• 2. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?
            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Have a look at http://caniuse.com/#feat=video

Then click the Subfeatures tab at the bottom, it shows 4 items (ignore the third one WebVTT as it is related to tracks). But the other three, when you click them individually will show its 'Can Use' browser profile. Green meaning Yes.

As you can tell, MPEG-4 is the best option across all modern browsers. But as you look at the older browser #s you can see a difference in 'Can Use' options, so you may have to include the other two options (WebM / Ogg).

Best option is to provide the widest reach, but ultimately the choice is yours.

One option instead of supplying all three, upload the original video to a Youtube Channel and provide it that way in Edge Animate.

hth

Darrell

• 3. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?
              juanpol12345 Level 1

Thanks Darrel,

I can see MP4 format is OK for almost everybody.

Do you know if MP4 is the 'first choice' for browsers compatible with some formats??It would be the best!

Or can I indicate a sort of prority for using MP4 as the first choice? (I say that because the conversion of the videos we can get online (as our NLEs cant render OGV or WEBM formats) is max 640x480 in our bigger resolution videos, and we are not able to check quality in those formats),

Or a good suggestion for converting to OGV/WEBM?

Tx in advance!

• 4. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?
                juanpol12345 Level 1

and...

OGV and WEBM formats in a test with one (only 5 seconds) video increase the weight 1,5 Mb. (780 + 720 KB)

Is this extra charge going to affect to the web loading times?

• 5. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?
                  CTLVideo Level 1

Since the browser is only going to pull the video with the compatible format, loading speed will depend on which video is bigger. For instance, if the MP4 video is 12MB and the OGV video is 10MB, the OGV will load faster. That said, which video loads depends on the browser (you can't force a browser to use a video it's not compativle with). Also, the browser will ONLY load the one it's compatible with, so it will not try to load 22MB of files.

Something that solves this, like Heathrowe says, is to link it to an externally hosted site, such as YouTube or Vimeo, which is what I'm going to do with mine after trying the MP4/OGV route.

• 6. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?

As CTLvIDEO mentions loading will vary. If you don't need to manipulate the video, thats why I mention going with the Youtube option.

Darrell

• 7. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?
                      juanpol12345 Level 1

thanks,

but if the browser is compatible with both MP4 and OGV, for instance, which one is going to be loaded and which one is going to be showed?

I dont want to force a browser to use a uncompatible video, what I would like is to force it, when it is compatible with more than one codec, to show the MP4 instead of the OGV (ogv has less quality) (or at least to know whats going to happen).

Tx

• 8. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?
                        CTLVideo Level 1

I don't think that there is going to be a big enough difference to really matter (as far as load times go). The ONLY way to force a browser to load a specific file type is to only upload that file type. In other words, only upload a MP4, or ONLY upload an OGV. But then, people with an incompatible browser will be SOL. Of course, you could create a different version of your site for each browser and load a browser detection script, but that's going to be more trouble than it's worth. As for which browser is compatible with which format, check out this article. Media formats supported by the HTML audio and video elements - HTML (HyperText Markup Language) | MDN

• 9. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?
                          juanpol12345 Level 1

Thanks a lot for your answers!

My conclusions, after having a look to the  Darren table (and your link CTLVideo, but is a bit out of date) are the next:

- Mp4 is going to work in almost every browser and situation.

- Webm currently is absolutly unnecesary

- OGV seems to be useful for only some exceptions -for plenty support in mozilla 31, 32, 33 (where non very exigent videos should work ok), and seems to avoid rare problems in chrome.-

Then, for normal video needs MP4 is the format to use and is going to work fine 97% of the times.

If including the OGV format is transparent for the page load time, etc. then im going to include it, but I can not control the quality of that format!

Please: if in your opinion it (including OGV) can add any minimun problem, as

1.- the browser prefers the OGV when it would use the mp4, with better quality, if mp4 is alone.

or

2.- the presence of the OGV is going to expend extra times for anything.

or

3.- Any other comment from your side.

...If a minimun problem, then I probably sacrify the OGV too.

Thanks for your comments my friends.

• 11. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?

Use all three.

The general idea is a browser will detect the one it needs and play it. As your viewers will vary with browser vendor and age, the video script will 'fallback' to the one it 'Can Use' as per the link reference I pointed out.

Darrell

• 12. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?
                              juanpol12345 Level 1

Thanks Darrel, and all,

Looking at the useful chart you indicated, I dont find any browser/age situation where Webm is really necessary.

What we want to include at this moment is autoplayback full screen videos, and as I tried to explain I'm a little bit afraid about adding 'unnecesary' big files to the page that could affect to the loading times and general performance.

I understand is very good for every every situation adding the 3 formats, but in this case I think is better to include mp4 (ok, and possibly OGV for the 2% rare situations).

If you know a situation where the user doesnt see the video if there is no webm file, please tell us.

If you can confirm us that a page with all 3 formats has the same speed and performace than with only mp4 and ogv (in the 99% usual browser situations), please tell us.

thank you very very much for your help, Darrel and colleages!!

• 13. Re: what video formats do we have to include? webm?

You are welcome.

If you don't already have them installed, install the latest main browsers to test against as you build your project.

Darrell