5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 9:23 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I separate two movies on the same timeline?

Tommyvincent

I'm using Premiere Elements 11 but have not used it for a while so I've forgotten much of what I've learned. So here is my question: I have two movies on the same timeline. How do I separate them. In other words, how can I move one over on the timeline so it will not confuse my editing of the other one? But better yet - how can I just take one movie off the time line completely and edit it later as a separate movie. I really have four short movies - one minute long. I'd like to edit them separately, with a new file name. I don't know how to do this anymore.  

• 1. Re: How do I separate two movies on the same timeline?
          Tommyvincent Level 1

I found out how to move the scenes. I highlight them and then move them. But I would still like to know how to give a segment a different file name and get it off my timeline. I then want to edit it later as a different film.

• 2. Re: How do I separate two movies on the same timeline?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

I have been doing some homework on the questions that you raised in this thread.

Observations....

After you  import a video into Project Assets, you can right click it, select Rename. That file when dragged to the Timeline will have the new name.

But...

If you import a video into Project Assets, drag it to the Timeline, right click the Timeline clip, select Rename from the pop up, then the Timeline file will be renamed but not its thumbnail in Project Assets. You would have rename that Project Asset thumbnail to match if you wanted to. But, these renamed files still trace back to the original with its original file name at its hard drive save location.

About getting off your Timeline...one way would be to export the clip selectively if it were in group of clips on the Timeline. Two requirements for that

a. In Edit area, set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the segment to be exported

and

b. In the export area, have a check mark next to "Share Work Area Bar Only" option.

If you brought a clip into Project Assets, double clicked it to open its Preview Window, you could trim the clip with the Set In and Set Out points and create "subclips" with new names in Project Assets. These "subclips" would be part of that project's media that could be dragged to the Timeline when needed.

Please review and determine if any of the above is going in the right direction for what you want to do.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I separate two movies on the same timeline?
              Tommyvincent Level 1

I printed out your post so I'll have it if I need it in the future. It's easy to forget these bits of information and tricks if you don't use them every day.

• 4. Re: How do I separate two movies on the same timeline?
                Tommyvincent Level 1

I really needed that help. Now I've gotten everything under control. I'm also doing a lot of experimenting with the tools, making a few mistakes and corrections. I feel more comfortable with the program now. Thanks for taking the time in giving me advice.

• 5. Re: How do I separate two movies on the same timeline?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

Glad for the opportunity to share what has worked for me or what I have read.

Often in trying to make the explanation as clear as possible to others the details take on more details which

enhance the creative opportunities for all.

Best wishes

ATR