6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 8:54 AM by chefranden

paint bucket problem

vickivanv
      I'm trying to create a sillhouette of an image in a photograph I've imported into a fireworks file. I've converted it into a black and white image and am trying to use the paint bucket tool to make certain areas black and white. But nothing shows up when I click for the paint to pour. *Something* is happening, because the edit button says "undo fill," but the color isn't showing up on the page. I'm not sure what the problem could be. I even tried selecting parts of the image with the magic wand tool, then using the paint bucket on the selected pixels, but nothing happened.

Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: paint bucket problem
          Level 7
          vickivanv wrote:
          > I'm trying to create a sillhouette of an image in a photograph I've imported
          > into a fireworks file. I've converted it into a black and white image and am
          > trying to use the paint bucket tool to make certain areas black and white. But
          > nothing shows up when I click for the paint to pour. *Something* is happening,
          > because the edit button says "undo fill," but the color isn't showing up on the
          > page. I'm not sure what the problem could be. I even tried selecting parts of
          > the image with the magic wand tool, then using the paint bucket on the selected
          > pixels, but nothing happened.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >

Can you post a link to the image?

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: paint bucket problem
            vickivanv Level 1
            It's just an image I found on flickr.

http://flickr.com/photos/chefranden/212235326/

I would like a white background with only the ropes and the kid in black sillhouette. I just tried the paint bucket on another photo that I took with my digital camera, but it still wouldn't work. Hmmm.
            • 3. Re: paint bucket problem
              Level 7
              vickivanv,

You can make selections of the sections you want in white with the
              Polygon Lasso tool. Shift+click will add to the already selected area.

I would select all the areas you want as white then use the Brush tool
              to paint in white then reverse the Selection and paint with black.

Since this image is rather complex the tricky part will be accidentally
              not loosing the selections you already made. Fireworks allows you to
              save selections by going to Select > Save bitmap selections. I would
              save after making about 5 selections, then add another 5 or so and save
              again with the same name. I would encourage you to do this as you work.

Alex

vickivanv wrote:
              > It's just an image I found on flickr.
              >
              > http://flickr.com/photos/chefranden/212235326/
              >
              > I would like a white background with only the ropes and the kid in black
              > sillhouette. I just tried the paint bucket on another photo that I took with
              > my digital camera, but it still wouldn't work. Hmmm.
              >
              • 4. Re: paint bucket problem
                vickivanv Level 1
                Thanks for your response! But I'm still confused about why my paint bucket won't work. Any ideas?
                • 5. Re: paint bucket problem
                  Level 7
                  If you select "Fill Selection" then the paint bucket tool will fill the
                  selection. If you don't then it will fill depending on how you have the
                  Tolerance setting set. The lower the tolerance number the less pixels it
                  will fill.

alex

vickivanv wrote:
                  > Thanks for your response! But I'm still confused about why my paint bucket won't work. Any ideas?
                  • 6. Re: paint bucket problem
                    chefranden

When this happens check the mode setting of the tool.  If the mode of the paint bucket is set to screen, black will not show up because screen ignores black and will give you an opportunity to undo.