3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 8:12 AM by Szalam

Drawing on video

sierracoleman Level 1

Is it possible to create a drawing on a video. More specifically, I have a clip of someone with a white background and I'd like to draw an object where it looks as though he's sitting inside of a box. I want the actual drawing process to be animated as well. Not sure if After Effects is my "go to" option.

Thanks for your help in advance!

• 1. Re: Drawing on video
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

That's hard to say.

Oh, it's easy to make a had-drawn box in Illustrator which can be imported into AE.  It might work for you.

But do you want to animate the process of drawing the box?

Will the subect on camera draw the box, or does it draw itself?

Will portions of the box hide portions of the subject on camera?

Will this box mean that the subject is hidden from some of the ambient light, making the subject darker?

And will this process of making the subject darker also be be animated along with the box?

Many unanswered questions.......

• 2. Re: Drawing on video
            sierracoleman Level 1

Firstly, thanks so much for your response and your questions!

- I do want to animate the process of drawing the box - it will be "drawing itself".

- Mostly I'd like the portions of the box not to hide the subject, but if you wouldn't mind sharing the other option as well I'd greatly appreciate it.

- And yes, the process of making the subject darker will also be animated with the box.

I'm a graphic designer and I'm splashing into the world of video editing/effects.

• 3. Re: Drawing on video
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

sierracoleman wrote:

I'm a graphic designer and I'm splashing into the world of video editing/effects.

Then you should start here: Getting started with After Effects

If you skip that, you will only become frustrated.

sierracoleman wrote:

- I do want to animate the process of drawing the box - it will be "drawing itself".

There are dozens of tutorials out there for write-on effects. A shape layer with strokes wiggling might do it for you.

sierracoleman wrote:

- Mostly I'd like the portions of the box not to hide the subject, but if you wouldn't mind sharing the other option as well I'd greatly appreciate it.

And you've shot them on white? You've got a couple of options (depending on how the shot looks. You will need to get a copy of the person on their own layer so that they can be on top of the drawing for parts of it.

Method 1: 4 layers total. Bottom to top, they are: footage, box, footage, footage. One of those two top footages is being used as a luma matte for the other.

Method 2: 3 layers total. Bottom to top, they are: footage, box, footage. That top layer is rotoscoped to isolate the person. What's rotoscoping you ask? Animating masks in order to isolate something in video. Tips on how to do it here: After Effects Help | Managing and animating shape paths and masks

Depending on what your footage looks like, this might be easier: Roto Brush in After Effects