7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 5:36 PM by A.T. Romano

Manually save and upload a video to Youtube

fourwhitesocks Level 1

Hello,

I'm wanting to know the proper settings (as far as frame size etc...) for MANUALLY saving a video file that I plan on uploading to YouTube later?

So I'm looking for the proper settings at the beginning when I start my project and then when I'm saving it.....which should I choose?  It's a video for a client so I want it to look great and I want it to fill the 'whole' YouTube video screen; with no pillars on sides or top.  This is a very short video, but I will be making several of them, they are only about 2 mins long, just fyi.

I was able to save one using the AVCHD and I think the very first option; which is like 1440 x 1080 and this did work but isn't this a huge file size or overkill?  I have a few photos in there that are 1000px x 750px and these look great; but somewhere I think I saw that YouTube videos should be 640 x 480??

Can I go ahead and keep using this setting? It did fill the complete YouTube screen...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

• 1. Re: Manually save and upload a video to Youtube
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fourwhitesocks

YouTube accepts SD and HD uploads. However there player appears to be 16:9 instead of 4:3.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Are your 1000 x 750 photos downsized because of notions of SD video?

What are the pixel dimensions of your original photos - 1000 x 750 4:3 or something else?

You set the Premiere Elements project preset to match the properties of your source media. Your export settings

are another matter. Typically be advised to work with a 4:3 source to a 4:3 end product or a 16:9 source to a 16:9 end product.

What is your estimated file size and duration for your upload to YouTube?

Let us start here with the above basic questions, and then we will customize a reply based on the details that you

will supply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Manually save and upload a video to Youtube
            fourwhitesocks Level 1

Ok wow thank you!

My pictures are actually graphics I made in Illustrator and yes they are exactly 1000 x 750; and that's because I watch a free full training video at Lynda.com  Lynda up and running with premiere elements 12 - YouTube  He talks about this I think in the beginning...  (this was GREAT BY THE WAY!) and the instructor recommended that any pics or graphics be that size...?  In his defense he did say that those are recommended dimensions for standard def; and that the Hi def pics can be 2000 x 1500...so I guess I could have made my graphics this large, I was just worried that they might be too large and make the video slow or something...??  (anyway that's not really my question, but it wold be nice to have explanation of that also _)

I don't know the properties of my source media I guess...?   It was from a video clip given to me so I could make the project in Adobe Premiere Elements...I think it was taken with an Ipad...so not too large. 

The way I saved the completed project in  Premiere was AVCHD and it was 186 mb, 1 minute long, and 1440 x 1080, and that's what I uploaded to YouTube.  It does look fine; but I'm still not understanding if I can keep saving these (very short) videos with this setting inside of Adobe Premiere or if I should be using some other setting when I go to manually save in Premiere for uploading to  YouTube later; and how should my settings be at the beginning of the project - inside Premiere  These are my real questions.

I appreciate your help.  I hope I'm not being too confusing.

• 3. Re: Manually save and upload a video to Youtube
              A.T. Romano Level 7

fourwhitesocks

Given...

Based on the YouTube document, if you upload a 4:3 to YouTube, its player is 16:9 and will present the upload for viewing with black borders.

When you are going to export a file which will give a final display of 1920 x 1080 16:9, it is preferred to use a preset that is described

1920 x 1080 (which is 16:9) rather than 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 which uses a 16:9 flag to stretch the 1440 x 1080 4:3 for display after encoding to 1920 x 1080 16:9..The rationale behind that is to avoid the possibility of player 16:9 flag recognition issues.

Information needed to put the workflow pieces together....

a. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

I ask this because you can go well beyond on the "not to exceed 1000 x 750 or 2000 x 1500 thinking", when you have Premiere Elements 10, 11, 12, or

13 Windows on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. The increased computer resources of the 64 bit application on a 64 bit system are of great significance to the workflow. But, each has to define the limits depending on the level of computer resources. And, then we get into the classic thinking...just because you can, should you?

b. Confirmation on what is going on this Timeline that will be exported to file that will be uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

Do you have video clip(s) besides the 1000 x 750 graphics? If so, let us determine the frame size, frame rate of the video. Easy way, import the video into

Premiere Elements, in project media right click the video thumbnail, select Properties, and let us know what the frame size and frame rate reads. If that video is from an iPad, I am guessing that the video is 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second).

The ideal would be to have created your graphics as 1920 x 1080 pixels and imported them and the 1080p video into a Premiere Elements project

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

and then export to file

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 1920 x 1080p30

If the file size needs to be smaller than that produced from using the defaults, then you can lower the bitrate of the preset under the preset's

Advanced Button/Video Tab in order to find a compromise between bitrate, file size, and quality.

If you are stuck with 1080p video 16:9 and 1000 x 750 4:3 graphics, then you might determine if you can scale the graphics in the Edit area monitor

to fit the 16:9 space created by the project preset setting (zoom in to the point where there are no black borders). If black borders are unavoidable,

perhaps you can put some text related to the graphic in the area where the black borders exist.

Please consider and then let me know if I have stayed on target with your questions. If clarification is needed, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Manually save and upload a video to Youtube
                fourwhitesocks Level 1

Oh wow I TOTALLY appreciate your help!

To answer a few of your questions:  I have the latest version of Adobe P Elements 13

I have a Windows 64 bit system

I am NOT stuck with the graphic sizes I have complete control over those, I can resize them to be what ever will work best!

I'm not totally worried about the file size I guess - since these are very short videos...

I might be making this harder than it needs to be...I'm just very new to Prem Elem and like just don't know what settings to start with or do I just use the default? 

In the end I just want to have them to upload to Youtube later, on a schedule, for them to look nice, and fill up the screen with no black bars on the sides or top. 

Does that help you any??

You are awesome, thank you so much!!!

Amy

• 5. Re: Manually save and upload a video to Youtube
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Amy

Thanks for the reply. I am having Internet speed problems for my high speed DSL so I fully appreciate the smaller size downloads uploads.

Here is the plan...I am going to assume that your video from the iPad is 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second).

1. Set the project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

The details of setting the project preset manually can be found toward the bottom of the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

2. Then import your source media into the project. The source media being

a. the iPad's 1080p video

b. your graphics sized to 1920 x 1080 pixels

One of the perks of the project preset selected has been that the images in the export seem to be sharper than other.

3. Now for the export....possibilities....

a. If the estimated upload to YouTube is less than 2 GB/15 minutes, you could try

Publish+Share

Social Websites

YouTube

with the preset = High Definition Video for YouTube - 1920 x 1080.

or

b. If you are going to export to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then upload from there to YouTube

at the YouTube web site, you could try

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with the preset = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Note the estimated file size and duration at the bottom of the export area just before you hit Save.....if too large

a file size, you can click on the Advanced Button/Video Tab and lower the bitrate to lower the file size (but just

to a point where you are not lessening the quality)

or

c. The Windows Media exports typically give the smaller file size - so maybe

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

with preset = 720 x 480 16x9 29.97

then you are going to customize that preset so that it is 1920 x 1080p30

See Advanced Button/Video Tab...., focusing on the Video Tab fields....

WindowsMediaExport.JPG

You will probably find a chain in the box to the right of Frame Width and Frame Height and will need

to remove it in order to type in the 1920 and the 1080. It disappears and reappears by clicking on the box.

The Bitrate in Kbps (kilobits per second) is set by me to 3500, but that can be adjusted either way

if the file size is too large or too small or you want to try for better quality while you are maintaining a decent

file size.

We will be looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 6. Re: Manually save and upload a video to Youtube
                    fourwhitesocks Level 1

I appreciate all of you help it's so helpful! 

• 7. Re: Manually save and upload a video to Youtube
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

fourwhitesocks

Sounds like progress. Great news.

But, if anything needs clarification, please never hesitate to let me know.

Best wishes

ATR