6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 5:54 AM by Peter Spier

Importing / creating frames for other documents

Edd.G. Level 1

I regularly use an .eps file logo. I have a black version and a white version saved separately to use depending on the background the logo is going on. However, I'd like to be able to apply swatches / content to the logo at will.

Is there a way to save the eps in a vector format which would allow it to be imported as a frame so I can choose it's fill colour or fill it with text / have it transparent??

The only way I can see of achieving multiple colours of it is to change it in Illustrator then have multiple copies - This becomes a pain when making slight tweaks to the logo and having to update multiple versions.

Thanks in advance...

• 1. Re: Importing / creating frames for other documents
          Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Firstly, I'd strongly recommend you use AI format rather than EPS (an obsolete format unless an archaic part of your workflow necessitates it).

I can't think of a way to do exactly what you want, where the vector paths are 'live' in InDesign yet are still linked to the ones in the original logo file. But with an AI file, you could have different colour versions on different layers in Illustrator, and change the Object Layer Options for the placed graphic in InDesign. To colour it in InDesign, or to use it as a text frame, the paths would have to be copied and pasted into your ID document, which would break the link to the original logo file.

• 2. Re: Importing / creating frames for other documents
            Edd.G. Level 1

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your suggestions, I was unaware that eps was an obsolete format??

I think the best way after playing would be just to copy and paste the paths from AI to ID as you suggest and break the link. At least if I copy and paste it I know that it would be the most recent iteration of the file and wouldn't rely on updating links.

• 3. Re: Importing / creating frames for other documents
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

I was unaware that eps was an obsolete format??

Maybe 'legacy' would be more accurate than 'obsolete'. There is no need to save graphics being placed into other Adobe applications as EPS, and there are features that we rely on these days that aren't supported by EPS, like colour management and transparency.

• 4. Re: Importing / creating frames for other documents
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I really recommend that you DON'T use that method. It's near impossible to work that way and stay coordinated across multiple files without having linked assets.

Consider using a single .al file instead, with a different artboard for each color. At least that way you have only one file to tweak each time.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Importing / creating frames for other documents
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

As it is said, use ai or pdf instead of eps.

I would normally never recommend to embed graphics in InDesign. The only one exception was in the past a logo I had to color with different colors each edition, so I was copying it in open Illustrator file and placing as paths into InDesign where I have got the chance to color it directly  in InDesign with the swatches. But be aware, I don't recommend it at a general method, only for limited use!

• 6. Re: Importing / creating frames for other documents
                    Edd.G. Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for joining the conversation.

I've added an artboard to my original Black logo and created a white version and saved it as .ai.

If I change any aspect of the logo, am I right in thinking that I would have to change it on all artboards separately or is there a way to have the paths (but not fills) mimic the initial artboard?

• 7. Re: Importing / creating frames for other documents
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not an expert in AI, but I don't think there's a way to update all at once other than using a symbol and making it a clipping mask for a colored fill behind to change the colors, and I'm not sure that's possible.