14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 4:15 PM by Chris Cox

Photoshop with 16 bit colors

Octopus67

Hi,

Is it possible to work with 16 bit colors in Photoshop ?

I have some bitmaps, where I would like to change the colortable from 24 bit colors to 16 bit colors.

Thanks,

best regards,

Poul

• 1. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
          G.Hoffmann Level 3

8 bpc( bit per channel) images can be saved as BMP with different bit depths,

as well with 16 bpp (bit per pixel).

In the Advanced settings is a choice of

X1 R5 G5 B5

R5 G6 B5

X4 R4 G4 B4

X1 and X4 are channels with arbitray meaning (undefined alpha channels).

These modes are still available in PS CS6

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

• 2. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
            G.Hoffmann Level 3

As far as I remember BMP 16bpp does not work with color tables (like indexed color).

For instance R5 G6 B5 is directly derived from R8 G8 B8 by binary shifting and rounding.

G.H.

• 3. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

8bit color depth is 24bit for each pixel color and 16bit color depth is 48bit  foe each pixels color.   If you change from 8bit to 16bit you do not gain any color information unless you have the information like in camera raw data.  However you will be able to edit with more latitude in 16bit color mode. However if you want to save some image file formats do not support 16bit color depth.   For a Jpeg save Photoshop  will converted to 8bit color depth if the document is a 16bit color document.  BMP will not be a save option unless you change the documents mode to 8bit color. PNG and Tiff doe support 16bit color.

A bitmap document is strange its 1 bit color you will notice all other options grayed out.  You can not even place in other images.

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                G.Hoffmann Level 3

Poul said

I have some bitmaps, where I would like to change the colortable from 24 bit colors to 16 bit colors.

A while ago we talked about 4 bit per pixel, now we are talking about 16 bit per pixel. The mentioned BMP

formats were long ago used for games.

• 5. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                  Octopus67 Level 1

Thank you for all the answers

I have to make bitmaps for our software department. The software has to be implemented in 16-bit color resistive touch screens.

To save space they want me to make colortables with only 16-bit colors.

Do you know where to download Photoshop CS6  ?

Best,

Poul

• 6. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I think your confusing different things.  On one side Digital Image editing procing.   On an other side Digital Image file formats. On an other side Touch Screen technology.   The Touch screen color technology basically has little to do with any aspect of image editing.   Its function is that of a display device that has limited input support in CC 2014 touch support.

The reality is your most likely need to produce Image files in some file format that you employer  can use to promote their offering.

• 7. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                      Octopus67 Level 1

At my job, we use bitmaps in the resistive displays. Generated from Photoshop.

The only thing, that I would like to do, is to make pictures with 16 bit colortables.

Maybe it is not possible in Photoshop to make colourtables/Schwatches with only 16 bit dept ?

With this I mean on the picture below, that it is not possible to go op to 255,255,255 (24 bit colours), but only 16,16,35 (16 bit colours).

Colortable.jpg

• 8. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                        G.Hoffmann Level 3

Let us consider the possibilities of the file format Windows Bitmap BMP. Photoshop can save

as BMP with different color depths, but this has nothing to do with "Photoshop Bitmap".

Mode Indexed color (BMP, 8 bit per pixel) uses a color look-up table, a CLUT:

256 rows with 3 bytes for R, G and B (one byte each).

The image contains for each pixel one byte, which is a pointer to the CLUT,  from where the

color bytes are taken. Finally we have a 24 bit per pixel color representation (True color).

For GIF it's almost the same, but one row in the CLUT means transparency.

Building the CLUT for an image which may contain originally 256^3 diffent colors is called

Color quantization (a key word for a further search).

If the display should require a smaller number of bits, e.g. 5R, 6G, 5B (green is more accurate),

then the CLUT can be taken from the Indexed color BMP image and modified:

R: Shift right 3 bits and round

G: Shift right 2 bits and round

B: Shift right 3 bits and round

Assemble R,G,B in one word with 16 bit.

Similarly, if the display should require 5R, 5G, 5B.

Such a table cannot be generated directly by Photoshop.

Mode High color (BMP, 16 bit per pixel) does not use a CLUT. Perhaps, at the time when these

file formats were developed, a CLUT with 2^16 rows was considered as nonsensical.

Photoshop can generate a BMP image with 16 bit per pixel by one of three modes, as explained

earlier in my previous post.

Thus it is possible to convert an image, which contains an arbitrary number of "swatches"

as defined by True Color 24 bit per pixel, into High color 16 bit per pixel by Photoshop. From the

result one can take the coding and build a table.

Arbitrary means: up to the maximal number, e.g. 32*64*32 swatches for 5R 6G 5B.

The further proceeding depends strongly on the decision   only 256 colors / more colors.

Accepting the 16 bit per pixel limit, one may use a fixed full size CLUT and an automatic conversion

True Color – High Color with Dithering.

• 9. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                          Octopus67 Level 1

Once again.

Thanks for all the feedback.

best,

Poul

• 10. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                            Octopus67 Level 1

Does anyone know if there is a program somewhere, which has the ability to work with a 16 bit CLUT?

Best regards,

Poul

• 11. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                              teliocide

I need to create a 16 bit BMP image for a multimedia device.

By this I mean a 16 bit file NOT 16 bit per channel.

The file has a diagonal colored gradient.

When the image is created as an RGB 8 bits per channel and saved as a 16 bit bmp file the gradient is horribly banded.

If I make the image "indexed color" I can only save it as an 8 bit file. The 8 bit file with 255 colors looks fine BUT the device will not accept it as it is not 16 bit bmp.

Is it possible to create a 16 bit bmp file with indexed color?

..... and of course HOW?

I am using CS4.

Teliocide

• 12. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                                Octopus67 Level 1

Hi Teloicide,

When you change your image to "Indexed colour", you have to choose the "Local (Selective)" option having 256 colours.

Then it is possible to save the image at a bmp. with 4 bit color depth. (4 bit = 2*2*2*2 = 16 bit image)

I am using Photoshop CC 2014.2.2 Release.

It should be possible in CS4 I would mean.

Best,

Poul

• 13. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                                  teliocide Level 1

Thanks for you help.

The results of my experiments are attached:

Top left original 8 bit per channel project file.

Top right default saving as a 16 bit file (1555)

Row 2 left red 255 black gradient saved as 565

Row 2 right green 255 black gradient saved as 565

------ you can see the different one bit makes with the green

Row 3 left blue 255 black gradient saved 565

Row 3 right green 255 black gradient saved 1555.

It is interesting (to my eyes) the banding seems less pronounced with the blue gradient. If I remember blue is not the most sensitive colour for human eyes.All combos.jpg

• 14. Re: Photoshop with 16 bit colors
                                    Level 7

That is because your eye is least sensitive to blue and changes in value blue.

(removed extra info on vision that might get too confusing)