6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2014 11:30 AM by johnmcbay

Having trouble with frame size

johnmcbay

I am importing an mpeg2 into Premier Elements 13. The Frame size of the imported video is 1640x1080. The video is 1080p. No matter what I do in PE, the video (both in the monitor and on output) has a black bar on either side and is 1920 pixels wide. This creates an issue when uploaded to Vimeo and displayed full screen.

Is there any way that I can set the project's frame size to 1640x1080. I have tried numerous presets but they don't allow editing of the frame size. I also read that Dynamic Resizing should take place upon first import into a new project, but this doesn't change the frame size either in my case.

Any attempt to adjust the monitor image using Applied Effects > Motion results in forcing the 1640x1080 image to fill a 1920 pixel wide frame, thus stretching the content horizontally.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Having trouble with frame size
          A.T. Romano Level 7

johnmcbay

There are serious conflicts in the description of your problem.

You write that the frame size of your imported video is 1640 x 1080 and yet you say that "the video is 1080p". Not possible as implied..

1080p video is typically characterized by 1920 x 1080 @ ___ progressive frames per second. So we need to resolve that conflict and get that detail sorted out in order to  allow everything else to fall in place.

Where is this video coming from? Video is 4:3 or 16:9. 1640 x 1080 is neither of those. If you have 1080p video (as in 1920 x 1080) and assuming @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, then the project preset should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

That will give you a 1920 x 1080 16:9  @ 29.97 progressive frames per second project without black borders that should give you an excellent

1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second export for Vimeo or wherever.

So our target is to explain 1640 x 1080.

ATR

• 2. Re: Having trouble with frame size
            johnmcbay Level 1

ATR

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. As you have probably figured out, I am a novice at this, so please forgive me for mangling the jargon & the concepts.

I am creating a series of instructional videos that explain how to perform certain editing sequences in Photoshop. I am using the free-ware screen capture program CamStudio. One of the parameters that you can set is the size and position of the capture window. I initially tried to set the window to 1920x1080 but my monitor is not wide enough. I arbitrarily chose 1640x1080 because I could have a large capture window. In the parameters section of the codec choice in Cam Studio, I chose 1080p. After a lot of struggle with codecs and parameters, I was finally able to create a video. A program that displays video parameters indicates that this video is 1640x1080.

I uploaded it to Vimeo and had them display it at their highest resolution (1080p). When displayed at full screen, the video looks great, fills the screen from top to bottom and on my monitor most of the screen from left to right.

I discovered that I had about 20 seconds of dead air in the middle of a 50 minute video and figured that rather than redo the whole thing, I could purchase Premier Elements and edit out the 20 seconds. It seems that PE will only allow standard video frame sizes. I can do the edit, but no matter how I set up the project or how I output the video, it always ends up being 1920 wide and when uploaded to Vimeo looks different than the videos that I originally uploaded at 1640x1080.

This inconsistency in size and appearance is my problem.

If it would help, I can link you to two Vimeo videos that show the difference.

Thanks for your assistance.

John

• 3. Re: Having trouble with frame size
              A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Thank you for the reply. You explained the situation very well. I am not clear what Vimeo is doing to go full screen on the original 1640 x 1080.

Do you have the link which shows what the 1640 x 1080 upload looked like at Vimeo. It would be good to see it.

I think that I can suggest some video maneuvers within Premiere Elements to get an acceptable 1920 x 1080 from your 1640 x 1080. Video is

4:3 or 16:9. Vimeo documents says that it will accept atypical aspect ratio but cannot guarantee acceptable results. From what you wrote, it found a way to do that with your 1640 x 1080.

Just thinking ahead...have you thought about doing the screen captures at 1280 x 720 16:9 or some other setting that would be 16:9? Or, are you too far into

what you have been doing to modify your workflow?

Looking forward to viewing the Vimeo videos.

ATR

• 4. Re: Having trouble with frame size
                johnmcbay Level 1

Again, thank you for your prompt response.

Here is the link to the a Vimeo video that is displaying 1640x1080:

Chapter 4 - Sky Replacement on Vimeo

Here is a link for a 13 second test video that has been output from Premier Elements:

Premier Elements output @1920 on Vimeo

Note the quality difference of the images.

I am a good way into the project and it would be difficult to go back at this point.

Thanks again for your time, your help and your thoughts.

John

• 5. Re: Having trouble with frame size
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Thanks for the additional information.

I have been working through different scenarios on this most of the day. I even downloaded your Vimeo video (first screenshot) to work with.

I lost track of how many scenarios I tried. The key is to monitor what Vimeo is doing with the 1640 x 1080 3:2 aspect ratio of your screen capture taking it

to an apparent 16:9 player for best fit. I have only a basic Vimeo account so I ran into some problems with the 1920 x 1080 choice.

Could you go through this with the export being 1640 x 1080 3:2 using

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

and then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset customize to 1640 x 1080 Square Pixels.

Upload that file to Vimeo at the Vimeo web site.

Does that give any consistency to the videos already uploaded to Vimeo direct from Cam Studio?

ATR

• 6. Re: Having trouble with frame size
                    johnmcbay Level 1

ATR

I really appreciate the time that you have spent helping me with this.

I uploaded a test video (no audio) directly after Cam Studio. Here it is in vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/114482764

Here is the same video after it was exported from Premier Elements with the parameters you suggested:

http://vimeo.com/114483485

The resizing seems to cause a loss in video quality.

It is also frustrating (and aggravating) that Premier Elements has no problem outputting a video that is 1640x1080 (using the frame size parameters under the Advanced Button), but it is not happy importing one at the same size, without forcing it into a format that it did not start with.

Thanks again.