6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 3:25 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I level the colors in my video?

Tommyvincent Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 11 to edit my video. The video is three clips, about a minute each. It's a talking head shot against a black background. Even though the sun was dimmed down with a shade, at times the sun got brighter for a few seconds. This lightened the color of the face. Is there a way I can automatically reduce the shifts in color that are a consequence of the clouds passing over the sun?

• 1. Re: How do I level the colors in my video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

If this is a matter of lighting, have you explored the Premiere Elements 11 Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Lighting Panel expanded options

Lighting1.JPG

As well as the options under Lighting's More button....

Lighting2.JPG

And there is the Color Panel expanded and its options to consider under Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette with

and without More

Color1.JPG

ColorMore.JPG

Please consider.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I level the colors in my video?
            Tommyvincent Level 1

Thanks. That information helped me correct the lighting problem. Now the clips have an even color. The four-minute video looks a lot better.

• 3. Re: How do I level the colors in my video?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

Thanks for the follow up. Glad the Adjust options worked for you.

Did you ever get your thread answered on renaming files and exporting them separately? If not, I will search for that thread and try to reply to

it later today.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I level the colors in my video?
                Tommyvincent Level 1

There is probably an easier way to split several sets of clips on the same time line and rename them. But I did it the hard way. I added media again from my AVCHD camera but only the clips for the movie I'm working on, not the clips that I'll be working on in the future. I'll add the other stuff later and give in a new file name.

• 5. Re: How do I level the colors in my video?
                  Tommyvincent Level 1

Just one more question on this topic of correcting the lighting problem in my three clips. I notice that if I click the Project Assets button I can view my three clips - about four minutes of video. Now if I right click a clip, I see the Run Auto Analyzer option. Will this help to automatically correct the lighting problem - some frames are too dark. I also see the Smart Fix option. If I select a clip. Will this solve the lightness/darkness problem?

My four-minute movie does not look too bad but I'd like to polish it up a bit before I submit it to YouTube. The sound, by the way, is excellent. I used a lapel microphone connected to the camera for that. I think I may buy a cordless lapel microphone though. The cord gets in the way when I'm filming.

• 6. Re: How do I level the colors in my video?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

I have never had much success with Run AutoAnalzyer and Smart Fix. So, my take on your question would be to do a mini test run where you can compare the results from the Adjust Tab Lighting route versus the Run AutoAnalzyer and Adjust Tab Smart Fix.

My major problem with the Run AutoAnalzyer is that it leaves my clip as a bunch of split clips in a stack (the process cannot be reversed).

Please let us know the results. I suspect that you will benefit best from what was successful for your already.

ATR