3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 7:17 AM by Szalam

Rendering very slowly

MediamotionAG

Hello,

this is my first Contact here in this Forum, so greets to all.

I have some trouble with my render-speed.

I have a Mac i5 and my project is on my external Raid 0 Harddisc, connect via thunderbolt. Normaly very fast.

Now i want to render my project, but AE takes only one processor and is very slow ( for my project here 5 hours and more).

I copy all the data to my internal hard disc an now AE takes all 4 cores and would be finish in proximately 20minutes.

The transfer-rate from my thunderbolt hard disc ist more speedy as my internal hard disc.

can somebody explain me, where is the secret switch in AE :-)

Best regards

Arne

• 1. Re: Rendering very slowly
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

There's no information in your post to give us any indication why your machine is rendering at a speed you call slow.  Sure, it could be, but we have no clue what you're doing.  For example, there are many effects in AE that are restrained to using just one processor.  When that happens, ALL the effects use just one processor.  Another one: if you have a 20-minute animation, a five-hour render time could be very reasonable, and downright speedy in many instances.

It sounds like you're a brand-new AE user, and you're jumping into the deep end of the pool.  It that's true, you really owe it to yourself to spend a good deal of quality time here:

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5,  CS6, & CC)

You can't run until you learn to walk, you know.

• 2. Re: Rendering very slowly
            MediamotionAG Level 1

Hi Dave,

thanks for your help.

Yes it´s true, i am a new User of AE :-)

So, i call it slow because the rendering time would be 5 hours when my project is on my external hard drive and AE use only one cpu. When i move the complete project on my internal hard drive, the speed is very high and AE use now all 4 cores from the CPU.

This is why i wondering.

• 3. Re: Rendering very slowly
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That does seem to be an odd issue. It sounds like an issue that would probably require some detailed, technical troubleshooting.

For that to happen, it would be helpful to know a lot more info. I mean, we don't even know your operating system!

What is in your project? Footage? Effects? Etc.