17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2015 9:41 PM by A.T. Romano

Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov

AlanKL Level 1

I'm using Premiere 12 on Windows 8.  I just got a sample from the company that converted 8mm film to 720HD ProRes422.mov onto a DVD.

I loaded into Premiere 12 without problem and can see, edit and publish.

However, what would be the best Input settings?  

Also, I plan to burn to play on a BluRay player for my HDTV.  What would be the best Publish settings?

Any other settings or adjustment I should use to improve the image?

• 1. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
          A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

Please clarify as to what you have as the source media that you are taking into the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 project.

8 mm film would be 720 x 480 4:3. What is this converted product "720 HD ProRes422.mov". 4:3 or 16:9?

If that is 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second as a H.264.mov file, then you set the project preset

to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p30

At burn to disc, then

NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

ATR

• 2. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
            AlanKL Level 1

The original file that the company who scanned and provided it is 1280x720. That includes a black border on each side of 160 pixels on each side so that the actual pixels of the picture is 960w x 720h.   (160+160+960= 1280w x 720h)  They charge a dollar more per 50 feet for HD claiming the picture is slightly better than providing 720x480 .   They say it's for QuickTime which does open it.    They call it ProRes422.mov

Frame rate is 14 per Premiere (NOT 29.97) when I clicked on properties which makes sense somewhat since it comes from an 8mm film.

Are your recommendations the same for Preset?

Regarding burning a disc, I'll be playing it on a BluRay player. Shouldn't I use AVCHD to take advantage of the 720h?  If so which one?

• 3. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
              AlanKL Level 1

PS  There is no sound on the file.  Silent 8mm.

• 4. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Are you going to settle for the final product with the black borders?

ATR

• 5. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                  AlanKL Level 1

What options are available?  Since I'm showing it on HDTV 16:9, then I would have to make it 1280 x 720, and leave the black borders to avoid distortion.  Are there other options I'm missing?

• 6. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Besides leaving what you have (960 x 720 image) in a 1280 x 720 frame with a black border to the right and left of the image,

You could try for a full frame 1280 x 720 by clicking on the image in the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box. And, then use

a handle of the bounding box to scale up (zoom in) on the image to the point where the left-right black borders cannot be seen. What does

that look like? Probably will take a 133% scale set.

Either way, you will be setting up for a 1280 x 720 project for a 1280 x 720 export.

We will watch for your decisions.

ATR

• 7. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                      AlanKL Level 1

I don't want to to expand the image horizontally to fill the screen because that will crop off the tops and bottoms.  I'd rather leave the left and right borders black and stick with the full 960w x 720h image that came from the film.  With that, what are the best Publish settings to burn a DVD with BluRay ACVHD?

Are there any other edits that help when working with 8mm film running at 14 frames?  Should I adjust any of the Presets?  I notice that the system currently is set for 30 fps Drop Frame TimeCode.  There are two other settings: 30fps Non-Drop Frame Timecode and Frames.  Are either of these two better for what I'm doing?  When are they used?

• 8. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

From what you wrote, the project preset will be

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p30

which is 1280 x 720 @ 30 progressive frames per second.

If that is going to AVCHD format on a DVD disc as a burn to disc...nothing to adjust...

Leave the display format settings alone

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD

with Presets = 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby (that is going to be 1920 x 1080 @ 23.94 progressive frames per second.

There is no way in Premiere Elements to get a burn to disc AVCHD on DVD that is 1280 x 720 @ 14 progressive frames per second.

ATR

• 9. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                          AlanKL Level 1

OK Thanks for your help. Alan.

• 10. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                            AlanKL Level 1

I had another company digitize the same film to compare.  They didn't provide ProRes but rather straight AVI,  1920x1080 Frame rate=29.97.

1. What Preset settings should I use?

2. Publish settings?

3. Looking at the AVI file they provided, there seems to be a slight horizontal banding.  When I freeze frame it almost looks like a picture on canvas, pixelated.  This company really did nothing but provide raw, it appears.  How to get rid of the banding, pixelation?

4. Sprocket holes are still in the digital file from the film.  How do I crop these out and keep the rest of the horizontal and vertical image?

• 11. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

Please let me know the video compression that was used for those .avi files. AVCHD.avi is bad news for Premiere Elements. Classically you cannot even import AVCHD.avi..

If you do not know the video compression, see if a GSpot readout will tell us.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

Based on that information, then we will decide what next is possible.

ATR

• 12. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                                AlanKL Level 1

Here's the image from  GSpot.  Note that although there is audio, since the film was silent, no sound is actually there.  Also not that I was able to insert it into the Premiere program I was using earlier for the ProRes and it's viewable in Premiere but of course the earlier one is at 720 and this one is at 1920x1080. 

Clipboard01.jpg

• 13. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

Good news. That footage is not AVCHD.avi. What you have is MotionJPEG.avi which is usually not good news for Premiere Elements. But, if you can import it in the first place, let us give it a go.

The video is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 frames per second. The GSpot codec program does not tell us if interlaced or progressive. The way to determine that for sure is with the MediaInfo readout.  But, let us try to avoid that with a "try and see" approach.

1. Open Premiere Elements 12 to its Expert workspace, and import your video into the project with Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. From Project

Assets, drag the video to the Timeline. Does it have an orange line over its content? If no, then our project preset stays at

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i30

And, we have the correct project preset. What does the playback in the Edit area monitor look like?

If there is an orange line over the Timeline content, we don't have the right project preset. So, close that project, and open a new one.

2. In the new Premiere Elements 12 project to its Expert workspace, with the File Menu/New/Project route, manually set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

Then import the video into the project with Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. From Project Assets, drag the video to the Timeline. Does it

have an orange line over its content? If no, then our project preset stays at

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

There will be no colored line over the Timeline content if we have the right project preset. What does the playback in the Edit area monitor look like?

At this point, please let us know the results, and we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                                    AlanKL Level 1

1. got orange line

2.  No orange line but got a screen question before putting on time line whether to fix and I said No.

Should I have said Yes? 

In any case there is no orange line using

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

• 15. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

Thanks for the details.

My experience has been to click "No" to avoid an assortment of unwanted problems unless you are absolutely sure of the consequences of a Yes click.

So, I would say, click No and do your own edits.

So, we are going to be going with the following project preset established by the project automatically when you first drag your 1080p30 video to the Expert workspace Timeline.

Project Settings would be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

Suggested Export Settings would be

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Have you been there and done that with this particular source video...the MotionJPEG.avi?

Does the Crop Effect under fx Effects/Transform/Crop work to remove the holes (presumed at right and left images in the frame)?

ATR

• 16. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                                        AlanKL Level 1

Yes crop worked.  This is the first time I got the MoptionJPEG.avi so I hadn't worked with it before.  I was able to Publish it per your settings.

Previous question-can you help on it?

3. Looking at the AVI file they provided, there seems to be a slight horizontal banding.  When I freeze frame it almost looks like a picture on canvas, pixelated.  This company really did nothing but provide raw, it appears.  How to get rid of the banding/pixelation?  I tried blurring but that didn't work too well. Anything else I could try?

• 17. Re: Input and Publish settings for 8mm film using PreRes422.mov
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

Let us make sure that there have not been any effects unknowingly applied to your footage.

Open a new project.

Set the project preset manually as discussed.

Next...Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure that there is a check mark next to "Show all do not show again messages".

Then...Import your MotionJPEG.avi into the project with the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video

to the Timeline. If you get any messages from the project, then in the pop up message, put a check mark next to "do not show again" and then click No.

The sequence for doing that is important.

Determine if the video is now OK or whether it still displays the irregularities that you have mentioned.

Thanks.

ATR