23 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 1:00 AM by Cinema Photographer

Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

Cinema Photographer Level 1

Every Premiere Pro project I make, especially when using "Nest" sequences, results in a serious error that makes Premiere Pro, which I'd like to rename Premiere "Non-Pro," result in a fatal error / crash. I've been editing on Adobe since since CS3 and the last program bundle I bought was CS5.5 Production, which works so much better than CS2014!! How about a big old, YOU'RE WASTING MY TIME AND TAKING MY MONEY AND NOT MAKING ANYTHING BETTER WHEN A SIMPLE UPDATE ENABLING MERCURY PLAYBACK / OPEN CL SUPPORT WOULD SOLVE 99 PERCENT OF MY PROBLEMS!

Let me get this straight, I've contacted Technical support 5 times over the last month. Every time I contact Technical Support I have a new issue to discuss. Each issue is never addressed by technical support! Even my attempts to contact technical support result in a crash! As a user / customer I've consistently held up my end of the bargain and told you flat-out every fatal error and every serious problem. At this point, I am now even attempting to tell you of all the little quirks that make this program so completely backwards thinking and not forward thinking. I absolutely do not enjoy working with this application. I do not wish to pay for a program that is so faulty, so problematic, one that is so FALSELY LABELED “Pro." You need to sit down with someone who knows forward thinking and is able to create a logical forward-moving application. There is so much non-sense involved that you're in for a serious wake-up call!!!

I was told that support would contact me. I left my contact information. However, technical support did not call back. Adobe Premiere Pro has NO BUSINESS IN THE PROFESSIONAL MARKET. GIVE ME A CALL! FIX THE PROBLEMS!! WORK THIS OUT WITH ME!  I WILL NOT PAY FOR A SERVICE THIS IS SO FAULTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY IS ANYONE GETTING PAID TO MAKE SO MANY MISTAKES! GIVE ME TWO WEEKS AT 40 HOURS A WEEK, WRITE DOWN MY OBSERVATIONS AND YOU'LL HAVE A PROGRAM THAT IS LOGICAL. QUITE WORKING WITH PEOPLE WHO ENJOY ERRORS AND SPENDING THEIR TIME MOUSING AROUND WHEN THEY COULD ACTUALLY BE WORKING SMOOTHLY!

THIS FEELS LIKE AN APPLE / MICROSOFT problem if you catch my drift. Hopefully something between us will actually negate the current conflict. I'm editing on an Early 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with a 2.7 gHz i7 with Hyperthreading, 16GB ram at 1600mHz, and a 1GB NVIDIA 650M graphics card... I suppose that very few people are actually monitoring CS2014 Pr on a similar system / platform. Either way, this is a flaky program that shouldn't be hitting the masses based on my experience.

• 1. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!
          shooternz Level 6

Out of curiosity.  Why do you think think this is a solution

WHEN A SIMPLE UPDATE ENABLING MERCURY PLAYBACK / OPEN CL SUPPORT WOULD SOLVE 99 PERCENT OF MY PROBLEMS!

You have this...

1GB NVIDIA 650M graphics card

Is that not a supported card?

BTW - what is your hard drive set up ?

What media are you editing?

Did you update O.S lately, recently...?  What is it?

Why do you particularly think "nests" are the issue?

What actually is a "fatal error"?   Never seen one and is that a Mac only  "error/message"?

Other Mac Users (not me) should be able to advise you on their experiences with similar hardware...but I doubt that they will do so here in this forum.  Mac issues and otherwise seem to be unspoken of by Mac "evangilstas".

• 2. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

"Evangilstas..." No doubt, right? Hope that settles in with you in a good way.

CS 5.5 Does not support the card for Open CL / Cuda. I'd never use CS2014 if it did! I'm paying $22 a month just to have that feature! What a waist of time and money!

It seems after some research that the fatal error might be connected to the 650M Graphics Card chosen by Apple for the early 2013 Macbook Pro Retina. This card seems to suffer from heating / lagging. I'm thinking that it is tied into some type of a mis-synced clock type configuration whereby Premiere Pro suddenly needs to back out of it's operation. For example, when switching from the Open CL software to Cuda, I loose the preview monitor and source monitor entirely. It's a black screen. If I close the program and restart the program I'll get an image, but there are some strange lines and shapes that overlay on the image with scrubbing and sometimes with playback on occasion. Then, after the card warms up, I'll loose all visuals from the timeline and have to close Premiere Pro again. Oddly, Open CL really hasn't created  this issue, just CUDA. But, for some reason, the OpenCL is acting up and causing a ton of lag on my current project. However, a project with a higher resolution timeline the computer screams through it in Open CL as if it were nothing. I hate to point the finger at Apple's bad decision to choose this graphic card and also at Premiere Pro for not providing a consistent professional program, but some type of fatal error and or crash is happening on every single project at some point during the edit and that's that.

I've got a 512GB SSD with 300GB free space... I've had this issue with the PR since Mavericks, and now Yosemite.

I typically use "Nests" to apply warp stabilizer effects. I get random errors with Warp Stabilizer and random fatal errors even without using warp stabilizer and just simply using nests to create my sequences.

A "Fatal Error" means that Adobe, not Apple, states that the program is forced to shut down and will attempt to save the project file. The problem is completely random!! So if I don't have my timeline to auto save every 2 minutes I'm sure to loose a ton of work and time when I go searching for all the additional copy of project, copy of copy of project, copy of copy of copy of project files.... and so on.

• 3. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!
              shooternz Level 6

Heard from any Mac evangalistas yet?

You appear to be working with a single Drive ( SSD). !!!

You say the issue started with Mavericks and then followed onto Yosemite !  Assumably everything was fine before then.?

You appear to have identified a hardware issue *( from Mac) with the 650m card.   Heat / lagging.

You have somethings (clues)  to trouble shoot.  The drive and the card being priority.  I believe some of the OS issues are caused by "permissions" Check out Forum  with a search.

For the record as regards

"a consistent professional program"

I have been pounding my CC2014 12+ hours a day (editing 10 TVCs) for 15 days straight to meet a deadline ( yesterday).

Nests, warp stabilisers, SG Links, multiple sequences in 10 separate projects, grafix, AEFX DIs, Motion, masks, titles, layererd psds, prores, AVCHD...

One crash from a drop shadow effect.but other wise flawless performance.!

The crash message by the way was " A serious error..." and not described as a "Fatal error..."

I simply reopened the project and continued.

• 4. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

A serious error occurs every time I edit footage. It's easy to reopen the project and continue, however, this process, after having faced it every day since CS2014 was first released, is not full-proof. I send user data / crash reports every single time and never hear anything from anyone about what's wrong.

Here is an example of one of last night's random crashes...

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 3.02.13 AM.png

• 5. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!
                  shooternz Level 6

So what about the hardware "issues" you mentioned?

What about the hardware question I asked? eg single drive?

Have you taken a look at others experiences with those two Mac O.S's and potential fixes?

Maybe some one will chime in on that particular error message.

• 6. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

I'm going to the Apple store to address the possible hardware issue with the graphics card.

The OS and PR are running off the Apple 512GB internal SSD on the MBP Retina.

I have no idea how to change the coding of Premiere Pro to make it stop freaking out. I'll get in touch with Adobe Support again and again in the meantime.

• 7. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!
                      shooternz Level 6
                      The OS and PR are running off the Apple 512GB internal SSD on the MBP Retina.

Thats fine and standard...but where is the source media , scratch files, caches....etc ?

A single drive is not the way to get best performance out of an NLE.  ie "bottle necks"

• 8. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!
                        Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

You have CS5.5, it does support the CUDA MPE hardware acceleration!  Take a look at this site or just search this web site on how to use your nVidia 650M, you just have to add it to the list of cards.

• 9. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!
                          shooternz Level 6

Bill

He does say that he has CC2014 and th error message seems to confirm that.

• 10. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

Thanks for the "you're ready for a teacher" comments. Should I start

talking about every other little thing I learned from my teachers? Let's

take a step back and let some others address this situation. I say so,

because I don't think that you're methodology is going to address the root

of the problem. Sorry.

Levi Davis

Editor / Shooter / Writer

levidavis.wix.com/media

(1) 214-883-7381 (mobile)

• 11. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!
                              shooternz Level 6
                              Thanks for the "you're ready for a teacher" comments.

Huh?

You never confirmed your hardware single drive drive set up or otherwise....so I guess you have eliminated that..

Happy to leave you to your  Adobe rants and advice from others. I note you aint got much from the MAc users.

Good luck.

• 12. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

shooternz,

I realize he has CC 2014, but he was implying that he had no problems with CS5.5 except he could not get GPU acceleration, which is absolutely not true.

"and the last program bundle I bought was CS5.5 Production, which works so much better than CS2014!! How about a big old, YOU'RE WASTING MY TIME AND TAKING MY MONEY AND NOT MAKING ANYTHING BETTER WHEN A SIMPLE UPDATE ENABLING MERCURY PLAYBACK / OPEN CL SUPPORT WOULD SOLVE 99 PERCENT OF MY PROBLEMS!"

The other thing that confused me is his error message which has 2014.09???????????

• 13. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!
                                  shooternz Level 6

He has blown me off Bill ..so I dont much care anymore. 

We tried.

• 14. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

Here is an example of the random Serious Errors from using PR CS2014 earlier today.

Process:               Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 [400]

Path:                  /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014

Identifier:            com.adobe.AdobePremierePro

Version:               8.1.0 (8.1.0)

Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:        ??? [1]

Responsible:           Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 [400]

User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2014-12-13 14:58:53.061 -0700

OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.10.1 (14B25)

Report Version:        11

Anonymous UUID:        0FE6A156-AD12-5E1A-DC5D-6613517D8681

Time Awake Since Boot: 2000 seconds

Crashed Thread:        42  Dispatch queue: opencl_runtime

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008

VM Regions Near 0x8:

-->

__TEXT                 0000000100000000-0000000100003000 [   12K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014

Thread 0:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread...

(DELETED A LOT OF DATA)

Model: MacBookPro10,1, BootROM MBP101.00EE.B05, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.3f36

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Built-In

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, PCIe, 1024 MB

Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x802C, 0x384B54463531323634485A2D314736453120

Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x802C, 0x384B54463531323634485A2D314736453120

AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0xEF), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.124.12.10)

Bluetooth: Version 4.3.1f2 15015, 3 services, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports

Network Service: Wi-Fi 2, AirPort, en0

Serial ATA Device: APPLE SSD SD512E, 500.28 GB

USB Device: Backup+  Desk

USB Device: Hub

USB Device: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub

USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 23.4

• 15. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

PR CS 5.5 Does not support the Macbook Pro. I am unable to use Open CL and/or Cuda! I'd much prefer to use that program because it doesn't crash on my every time I use it. I've tried the patch key stuff that adds the NVIDEO 650M graphics card to the native list of supported graphics cards, but the program monitor was black often times and Adobe Media Encoder doesn't apply Open CL / Cuda Support. It's significantly slower.

If there is a way to use Open CL and Cuda with this Macbook Pro I'll be done with CS2014 in an instant. Are we aware of a solution to that?

• 16. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

If I render the same file using Encoder CS 5.5 and Encoder CS 2014 encoder CS 2014 is nearly 2 - 3 times faster. Additionally, when editing GH4 footage in CS 5.5 it is choppy and doesn't respond quickly, essentially because it's software and not Open CL in my current setup. CS2014 is making GH4 footage edits quick and streamlined, but with serious errors every time I use the program at some random point.

For example, earlier today, I made a nest sequence of some GH4 footage because I edit in 3072x1728 and Warp Stabilizer doesn't work unless the file is the same width and height as project file. PR finished analyzing the file and then began to stabilize the video. However, the program suffered a serious error and had to quit before applying the stabilizing. After saving a copy of the file, I found a way to finish the stabilization, but every time the playhead came up to the stabilized footage area PR crashes.

I've had to erase the nest and wasted a ton of time trying to stabilize footage because of all the crashes. Now, I'm back to editing the project without the stabilized footage and will have to add that shot to the visual effects After Effects post production phase.

• 17. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

Re-Installed the Cuda Patch for the Macbook for PR 5.5. It's working great over the last 10 - 15 minutes just playing around with the GH4 files. However, when attempting to export an EDL and/or an XML CS 5.5 states that a generic error occurred and that it cannot load the project. Here comes the ranting... Therefore, the powers that may be, have once again failed to build the bridge between the past and present. Blackmagic Design's DaVinci ingests the XML files from PR CS2014 just fine but CS 5.5 cannot. I'd edit on DaVinci but my computer isn't supported by DaVinci. I've basically got the lastest model of Macbook Pro 15 Retina's to not be supported because of the 1GB graphic card. Definitely a tip of the hat to Adobe for working with this Macbook. 4K is easy to edit, but HD is nearly impossible to edit and skips frames in DaVinci. Hope this helps others see what type of trap this particular model of computer is, even when combined with Adobe.

• 18. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

The CS 5.5 Cuda patch is causing my computer to completely crash and shut down. I was trying this because CS5.5 in software support only was always reliable. Anyway, the Macbook screen freezes and I loose the ability to do anything with the mouse or keyboard. It's happened twice in the last 15 minutes.

Two nights ago I spoke with tech support and they remote viewed my computer. When adjusting settings inside of PR CS2014 my computer crashed. It happened not long after CUDA was turned on. They never contacted me to tell what it means or why it might happen. I'm guessing that this Macbook Pro Retina suffers from some type of graphic-card failure... Anyone have any insight?

• 19. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

Update your GPU and the CUDA drivers!

Search the forums for Retina problems.

• 20. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

I'm using the latest Cuda driver 6.5.25 and have no idea how to update the GPU... That seems like it could be my problem. Looking online, it appears that numerous Macbook Pro Retina owners experienced crashes and black screen program windows and serious errors like what I'm experiencing but the majority were like a year or two ago.

Could you please provide information how to update the GPU? Thanks.

• 22. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!
                                                  zelca31018211 Level 1

Folks. all versions of all software used by the app have to be compatible with each other. let me guess you have some old plugin chillin somewhere on you machine from sole old version of some NLE?  yup, it will crash everything because of capability problems.

• 23. Re: Fatal Errors on Every Pr Project I've Created Since CS2014 Has Been Released!

Good answer. This was a small portion of the issue. Had some stuff related to Snow Leopard from Blackmagic Design that would automatically load on startup.

This case was related to the Macbook Pro Retina experiencing kernel panics as a result of Cuda Acceleration. Had the motherboard replaced (graphic cards too) along with the entire operating system wiped and re-installed (Mavericks and Yosemite). Nothing helped. The most stable I ever got the Apple to work in Cuda Acceleration was to have the program monitor completely turn black (randomly turned black after 5 seconds) and not show any footage. But, PR didn't shut down or crash.

On the flip-side, Open CL was working fine, but there was about 15% greater render speeds with Cuda and it was kind of frustrating to think that a Macbook Pro Retina couldn't utilize the "Pro" side of the graphics card. Ended up selling the computer and haven't bought an Apple computer since. Been a long road away from ProRes, outside of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera.