10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 6:13 AM by dj_paige

Metadata

gullan1

Why doesen´t Lightroom as Picasa show that a picture i rotated in metadata?

• 1. Re: Metadata
          dj_paige Level 9

Could you provide more details? I don't understand the question. Thanks.

• 2. Re: Metadata
            gullan1 Level 1

In Lightroom the picture is shown rotated with the correct metadata, but in Picasa the picture i shown rotated 270 degrees? When i upload the actual picture to Portfoliobox it is rotated 270 degrees as Picasa says.

• 3. Re: Metadata
              areohbee Level 5

If you export, rotation shouldn't be an issue, since it's baked into the image.

If not exporting, then make sure you save xmp metadata, since otherwise rotation info is only in catalog.

• 4. Re: Metadata
                gullan1 Level 1

The problem is why Lightroom says the picture is correct when it actually i rotated 270 degrees?

• 5. Re: Metadata
                  dj_paige Level 9

That's how Lightroom works. By default, it stores the rotation information in its catalog file (and nowhere else), and displays the photo with the desired rotation. No other software knows about the rotation unless, as Rob said, you override the default behavior of Lightroom and save metadata to xmp, or export.

• 6. Re: Metadata
                    gullan1 Level 1

Take a look at Picasa and you will be supriced..

• 7. Re: Metadata
                      dj_paige Level 9

I have no idea what you mean. Can you be more specific?

• 8. Re: Metadata
                        gullan1 Level 1

Take vertical picture and import it in Lightroom and in Picasa and you will see what a mean.

• 9. Re: Metadata
                          areohbee Level 5

Initial rotation is metadata in photo source file, but when you rotate in Lightroom, it doesn't re-write the rotation metadata in the photo source file, it just stores it in the catalog. So, exporting always works, but if you want even the slightest chance of having the in-Lr rotation seen outside Lr, you'll need to save xmp metadata - and I still don't know if that will do it for Picasa - it may not be programmed to fetch Lr rotation from where it be after saving xmp metadata, i.e. it's possible it's only attending to the initial shooting metadata from camera, or it could be that it will try but interpret it "wrongly" (differently).

• 10. Re: Metadata
                            dj_paige Level 9

gullan1 wrote:

Take vertical picture and import it in Lightroom and in Picasa and you will see what a mean.

Since I have zero reason to expect Lightroom and Picasa work exactly the same, I won't take the time to see what you mean. The two programs are different. Not an issue in my mind.