9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 7:58 PM by ashleyj56073739

Lightroom Mobile sync  and 2 computers

Rob.Wheatley

Hi All,

I've looked but I can't see a specific answer to this question, so I thought I'd make it my first posting.

I've just subscribed to Creative Cloud for Lightroom. I liked the idea of being able to sync different devices and continue work whilst I'm out, but I made a massive assumption that, I think, turns out not to be correct.

I thought that once I had synchronised a collection with the cloud, I could access it on my mobile device. This is true, and works well.

But, I also thought that if I had a 2nd computer with Lightroom on, it could also be used to work on the synchronised collection. It turns out that this isn't the case.

It seems such an obvious use case to me, especially given that when you subscribe to Creative Cloud, you can use Lightroom on 2 machines.

Here's my situation.

I have a Mac Pro in the house which is the main work station. I have a MacBook Air, I use when I'm out and about. I want to be able to use the MBA to at least do my "picks" when I'm travelling. I know I can use my iPhone/iPad for that, but the screen on the MBA is so much better, plus if I really wanted to, I could do a bit of developing on the MBA (I don't really see myself ever doing it on a Mobile device).

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get Lightroom on my MBA to see the 'Mobile' version of the collection the iPhone can see?

Rob.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Mobile sync  and 2 computers
          ronb27377241

I would also like an answer to this....

• 3. Re: Lightroom Mobile sync  and 2 computers
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rob.Wheatley wrote:

But, I also thought that if I had a 2nd computer with Lightroom on, it could also be used to work on the synchronised collection. It turns out that this isn't the case.

It seems such an obvious use case to me, especially given that when you subscribe to Creative Cloud, you can use Lightroom on 2 machines.

Here's my situation.

I have a Mac Pro in the house which is the main work station. I have a MacBook Air, I use when I'm out and about. I want to be able to use the MBA to at least do my "picks" when I'm travelling. I know I can use my iPhone/iPad for that, but the screen on the MBA is so much better, plus if I really wanted to, I could do a bit of developing on the MBA (I don't really see myself ever doing it on a Mobile device).

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get Lightroom on my MBA to see the 'Mobile' version of the collection the iPhone can see?

You can't do this using the normal desktop Lightroom application on your laptop, but what you can do is use Lightroom Web via your browser on any computer.

So on the MBA, go into your browser and log into your Adobe account at https://lightroom.adobe.com/. You can then:

• use the P, U, X keyboard shortcuts to add pick flags
            • use numbers 0-5 to add ratings
            • remove photos from collections
            • let others see a collection by making it public, sharing to FB etc, giving them the Adobe URL
            • add new originals to LrMobile by dragging them from the laptop's folders and dropping them in the browser - the newly uploaded file will be automatically added to your main catalogue. Try this, it's got lots of potential uses.

What you can't do is email individual pictures from the browser (unless I overlooked something) and you can't do any Develop work.

John

• 4. Re: Lightroom Mobile sync  and 2 computers
              joe.lafferty Level 1

me too - getting this feature would be very helpful.

currently I'm stuck with having to use new Mac Photos app while on the road along with iPad/macbook pro and Lightroom/Lightroom mobile, and I'd like to be able to transition all my photo editing on the road and in the office to Lightroom and ditch Apple Photos.

Joe

• 5. Re: Lightroom Mobile sync  and 2 computers
                tomn90800198

Yes me too

I have surface pro.

I use it on my shoots, but sync not working.

What's up with adobe and Microsoft?

You should be angry on Apple for flash not on MS. Especially with Windows 10

I hope you solve this.!!!!

• 6. Re: Lightroom Mobile sync  and 2 computers
                  Iain Malcolm Level 1

Nothing to see here except Adobe's usual silo design mentality.  We now have 3 lightroom "applications" This is my current undertstanding of which bits of functionality adobe have currently decided to drop into each app.

Full Lightroom: works on Windows or Apple's full OS.  Uses a "catalogue" as the centre of the universe and catalogues cannot be shared / distributed - there are tools to shuffle things from 1 catalogue to another (such as returning from a trip with a laptop with a "new" catalogue, and sucking it into your main catalogue on your desktop PC.

Lightroom mobile which can synch with defined "collections" within 1 or more catalogues but all from copies of lightroom running under your adobe account. Synched collections can be marked for offline editing, also use this to enable offline viewing. New photos added on the device can be synched (even automatically) and appear in a folder in Lightroom on your PC, but NOT raw file photos. Some editing tools are available (crop and the some other things from the full Lightroom develop module). Such edits done locally are syched back to Full Lightroom and appear there subject to network connectivity. Likewise edits done in Full lightroom to a photo in a synched collection will in due course appear on any tablets / phones. (I have not tried updating both places at once..... )

Lightroom Web which is a web site (private to your adobe account unless you make it public), accessible from any(?) web browser (once signed in) which can display and do some tag / flag type things to photos (but NO editing as such). Youb can drag and drop local photos into any collection here and they willl show up on your Lightroom web, in full Lightroom on your PC(s) and on devices with Lighroom Mobile installed. Strangley this INCLUDES raw files, although the image doesn't show up in the folder until it has been round tripped to Adobe's servers. The raw file DOES appear in your full Lightroom catalogue in a local folder.

Neither Lightroom mobile nor Lightroom web can access keywords or any of the other photo metadata.

• 7. Re: Lightroom Mobile sync  and 2 computers
                    ashleyj56073739

Is there a way to sync just the folders to Lightroom web/ mobile? I use those folders and keywords to organize and search normally and I don't typically create collections because thats just an extra step that I would rather not do. Is it possible to somehow just get those folders to sync so that I can add in keywords while I am on the go with my laptop? (The originals are on a desktop at home). Even though Mac's photos is not as great as a program I do like that all I have to do is keep the same login and all of my images and keywords and albums are all there no matter what device I use. It would be great if there was a similar way to use Lightroom.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Mobile sync  and 2 computers
                      john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No folders, you must create collections. Simple way, select folders in the Folders panel and drag them into the Collections panel. You'll still have to sync them.

Alternatively you can drag the photos and drop them in All Synced Photos which is in the Catalog panel. This way there are no collections.

• 9. Re: Lightroom Mobile sync  and 2 computers
                        ashleyj56073739 Level 1

I know that you can use the Lightroom web version to view collections and do some very basic editing but other then that I haven't figured out a way to get it to work on more then one computer. It is very frustrating, you can't even do any key-wording other then being on the main creative cloud computer.