8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 7:42 PM by Trent Happel

Changes to Project Manager

RichCD33

I am trying to archive a project for the first time since upgrading to Premiere Pro 8.1 and the Project Manager settings have changed.  Now, there is no option that will trim my project while maintaining the original media codecs of each file.  Why are we now stuck with transcoding everything, which takes forever and results in flattened alpha channels and enormous file sizes.  Is there a work around?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Changes to Project Manager
          Alan_P Level 1

Resurrecting this old question because I just started using CC14 and have the same issues with the new Project Manager.

Any plans on fixing this? I would love to just have the options to "trim and NOT transcode". Why are we forced to transcode now? I just don't get it.......

• 2. Re: Changes to Project Manager
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Alan,

Resurrecting this old question because I just started using CC14 and have the same issues with the new Project Manager.

Any plans on fixing this? I would love to just have the options to "trim and NOT transcode". Why are we forced to transcode now? I just don't get it.......

What kind of footage is it?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 3. Re: Changes to Project Manager
              Alan_P Level 1

Doesn't matter what kind of footage does it?? My issue is that there is not an option for "no transcoding". How hard could it have been to include that??

• 4. Re: Changes to Project Manager
                Trent Happel Adobe Employee

The Trim option in previous versions was limited in the formats that it supported (basically a number of QuickTime codecs). With Consolidate and Transcode, it will Smart Render (like Trimming) for any supported codec (see Smart Rendering in Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.1, and later), & Premiere Pro CC). If you use a preset that matches your clips (that Smart Render supports), then it will effectively trim those clips. Granted, if you use different types of clips that don't match the preset then there will be transcode or copy involved.

It is not ideal, but you can always keep the prior version of Premiere (e.g.: CC 7.2.2) and CC 2014 8.2 installed on your system, so that you could leverage the Trim option in 7.2.2.

Please feel free to submit a feature request to bring back the Trim option in the Project Manager. Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 5. Re: Changes to Project Manager
                  Alan_P Level 1

Thanks Trent, that helps explain why it's different now...makes sense.

So, you are saying that if I choose a preset with the Consolidate and Transcode that is the same as my footage, it will not change those clips in any way (besides trimming them)?

If so, that's great! But, how do I figure out the proper settings I need for the 2 or 3 types of footage I use the most?

• 6. Re: Changes to Project Manager

If the clips are types/codecs supported by Smart Render and you have the matching preset, then yes. Basically Smart Render support includes:

- QuickTime: DV/DVCPRO, Animation, ProRes, DNxHD (requires codec from Avid), None, GoPro CineForm

- MXF OP1a: AVCI, XDCAMHD, XDCAMEX, XAVC

- DNxHD MXF OP1a: DNxHD

As far as the preset, in the Project Manager > Consolidate and Transcode, you would want to set Source: Individual Clips, Format: matching Smart Render supported format, Preset: Match Source - matching format. Many of these are already provided (AVC-Intra, XAVC, XDCAM EX, XDCAMHD, DNxHD, ProRes, GoPro CineForm). The remaining QuickTime presets you could create in Export Settings/AME. Select one of your clips, Export Media, set Format to QuickTime, under Video tab set your idea Codec and then click the Match Source button. Towards the top and to the right of the Preset drop-down menu, hold down OPT/ALT key and click the Save Preset button. This will allow you to export the preset. Now go to the Project Manager and under the Consolidate and Transcode drop-down menus, click the Import Preset button. Select your exported preset. Note: there are some caveats with Match Source and different compressions for some codecs (e.g.: XDCAMHD 18, 25, 35) where you may need to create a custom preset for Smart Render.

eg: If all your clips were XDCAMHD50, then you would open Project Manager and select Consolidate and Transcode. Set Source: Individual Clips, Format: MXF Op1a, Preset: Match Source - XDCAM HD.

If your clips are not supported by Smart Render OR they are supported, but preset does not match, then the clips will be transcoded or copied (depending on scenario). As long as all of your clips are the same type/codec, supported by Smart Render and you have matching preset, then this should work for you.

Hope this helps.

• 7. Re: Changes to Project Manager
                      Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

So all of us that are still in AVCHD-land are out of luck?

• 8. Re: Changes to Project Manager

Sorry, yes. Premiere has not yet added AVCHD-compatible Smart Render export.