5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 8:35 AM by Keith_Reeder

4.4 upgrade to LR 5 any regrets?

Vincent Walter Level 1

I get set in my ways..   Had some issues when I upgraded from 2 to 3 or something years ago.

Anyway been using LR4 for a while and am happy.  I got a new 27 i-mac and a $40 copy of LR5,

any issues that might send me into a tantrum if I upgrade? 

I use .NEF and .MOS files and do a little video from the D800.

Thanks.  ( I am trying to hold tight on the "pre-creative cloud") stuff, always hoping for the "last upgrade"

Personally I think the D800 is overkill as the File size potential is greater than the resolving power of most Nikkor lenses.

This is because I still get better results (in some situations ) with a Leaf Aptus 17MP back on a Hasselblad 500 (CF lenses T*)  rather than the larger files with less apparent visual information from the D800. The D700 is the sweet spot camera for DSLR work IMO.

• 1. Re: 4.4 upgrade to LR 5 any regrets?
          dj_paige Level 9

How would we know what would send you into a tantrum?

Why don't you try LR5 on a small number of relatively un-important photos and see for yourself?

• 2. Re: 4.4 upgrade to LR 5 any regrets?
            Vincent Walter Level 1

I guess I meant any major changes to how tools/ sorting work.

I'll give you points on your answer.

Didn't want to wast time, I just don't like going down paths of diminishing returns.

A need for crazy amounts of memory might be one too.

I should have thought of your answer first.  I seem to be on deadline a lot and end up going down a path of no-return with catalog upgrades and such.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: 4.4 upgrade to LR 5 any regrets?
              elie-d Level 4

For me the upgrade was definitely worthwhile. LR5 is not much different from LR4, the main differences being the addition of the Radial Filter and the Upright automation and the changes to the Heal/Clone tool to make it brushable. I use the Radial Filter a lot, often multiple times in the same image and find it faster than the Local Adjustments Brush unless the adjustment needs to be done to a complex shape. Upright can be a timesaver, but I don't always like what it has done and cancel it and straighten the horizon or correct distortion manually. The new Heal/Clone can often save me a trip to PS and the subsequent need to save a tiff.

• 4. Re: 4.4 upgrade to LR 5 any regrets?
                dj_paige Level 9

Vincent Walter wrote:

I guess I meant any major changes to how tools/ sorting work.

I'll give you points on your answer.

Didn't want to wast time, I just don't like going down paths of diminishing returns.

A need for crazy amounts of memory might be one too.

I should have thought of your answer first.  I seem to be on deadline a lot and end up going down a path of no-return with catalog upgrades and such.

Thank you.

You use words that are meaningful to you, but not meaningful to me. I don't know what a "path of diminishing returns" is for you, nor do I know your workflow to be able to judge what might be "diminishing returns" without you specifying in advance. I don't know what "crazy amounts of memory" is, and I don't know how any particular amount of memory will work on your system in your workflow with your photos.

So again, I advise you to give it a try and see what happens. That will surely give you a better answer than anything I can say.

• 5. Re: 4.4 upgrade to LR 5 any regrets?
                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

You're asking for objective answers to entirely subjective and arbitrarily defined questions, Vincent - can't be done.

Basically - what DJ said.