14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 11:34 AM by elpense

New D810 Import Problem

elpense

Help, please?! Can't import images from new Nikon D810, cf card, into Lightroom v4.4.  Using Nikon supplied UPC cord into any and all upc ports on computer (windows 7). Thumbnails appear but upon import get the message, "files are not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom."  I uninstalled old ViewNX2 and installed new ViewNX2 supplied with D810.  Also downloaded and installed most current Adobe DNG converter (8.7.0.309).  Device (D810) is seen by ViewNX2 but thumbnails to choose and transfer (import) do not appear. Clicking on device button results in nothing but "unselecting"  the D810.  Can't get images onto hard drive to convert to DNG and import into Lightroom.  I would prefer to just use Lightroom as that's 2 less programs for me to screw up in.  Please help?!!!

• 1. Re: New D810 Import Problem
          dj_paige Level 9

The D810 is not supported by Lightroom 4.4.

You need Lightroom 5.6 or later (the current version is 5.7).

Or, you can use the DNG converter, you should be able to copy the photos onto your hard disk using your operating system, and then run the DNG converter on those photos, turning the RAWs into DNGs which will import into Lightroom 4.4.

• 2. Re: New D810 Import Problem
            elpense Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.  I assumed that would be the workflow.  However, I can't get the images on to my hard drive to convert.  The Adobe DNG converter needs existing files.  The Nikon ViewNX2 doesn't allow me to import either.  Like Lightroom, it sees my device but selecting the device does not bring in files to import. I've been all over the help tutorials, YouTube, and asked several local "mentors"  but haven't found a solution other than subscribe to cloud services. I suppose I'll have to do that but feel frustrated that "fixes" for only slightly older software don't work.

• 3. Re: New D810 Import Problem
              Keith_Reeder Level 4

If you've got a card reader, just get your files off the card and onto the computer with that - no need to "ingest" them with dedicated software.

• 4. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "I would prefer to just use Lightroom as that's 2 less programs for me to screw up in.  Please help?!!!"

The perfect solution is to purchase the upgrade for Lightroom 5 see the link below.

Products

• 5. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                  dj_paige Level 9

The Adobe DNG converter needs existing files.

If you used your operating system to copy the photos onto your hard drive, then the DNG Converter expects you to select the FOLDER, not the individual files. If you select the folder containing the photos, then the DNG Converter will convert every file in the folder to DNG, and then you can import those into Lightroom.

• 6. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                    elpense Level 1

Thank you, everyone for your suggestions.  None of my os programs allow for importing.  They all see the device but don't allow for importing.  The path seems clear.  Several local pros tell me that using a card reader is a superior method to direct transfer from a camera so I'll be purchasing that today (computer has internal SD card reader, only).  I guess I'll need it regardless, but it will be interesting to see if it makes the difference in getting image files (placed in the appropriate folder) on to my hard drive for conversion. It also appears to be time for me to get in step with the times and start a cloud subscription for LR and PS.  Thank you again.

• 7. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                      dj_paige Level 9

Let me state that sometimes your language confuses me.

"OS programs"? Is that really your operating system, or programs that runs under your OS, like Lightroom and ViewNX2?

Can you use your operating system to copy the photos to your hard disk? I am confused by your statements so far, so can you state clearly YES or NO?

Your Lightroom 4.4 will not import the RAW photos from your D810. Period. Can't be done. However, Lightroom 4.4 can import the DNG files. So...

Did you specifically try to use the DNG Converter by selecting the FOLDER, not individual files? I don't see an answer to this question. If you did try this, what happened? Was there an error message? If so, what was it?

With regards to using a card reader, this will have no effect on this particular problem whatsoever. NONE. Once you fix this problem, then yes, a card reader will be faster, but not until you fix this problem.

• 8. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                        elpense Level 1

Sorry for the confusion.  I appreciate your patience.  Specifically, the programs I've tried to use to get files on to my hard drive are Lightroom, ViewNX2, Picture Control Utility 2, and Picasa. They all see my camera but do not allow me to import.  

Lightroom Error message: "files not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom." 

ViewNX2:  Sees device, but no thumbnails appear to select.  NOTHING appears regardless of preference selections.  Have been all over their help and tutorials and nothing addresses my problem.  Perhaps a card reader would help...

Picture Control Utility 2, upon clicking Import: error message, "Feature not available."  Suggests using a card reader.

Picasa:  Sees device but import key is greyed out.

Adobe DNG Converter doesn't import images.  Requires selection of folders already on hard drive.  Can't use this until I get files on to the hard drive.

• 9. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                          dj_paige Level 9

Use your operating system to copy the files to a folder on your hard drive.

• 10. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                            elpense Level 1

Now I'm really confused.  Obviously I'm a little technically challenged.  My operating system is windows 7.  Don't know how to use the system to import the image files.  The whole problem is getting the image files from the camera on to the hard drive.  I'll be ok (I think) if I can get to that point.  A recurring theme is the need for a card reader.

• 11. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                              dj_paige Level 9

There was no use of the word "import" in my question.

I am asking if you can COPY the photos to your hard disk, using whatever operating system methods you want, copy and paste, or drag and drop, or whatever. This is not an "import".

The camera (assuming it is plugged into the computer and turned on) should show up when you double-click on "Computer" in Windows 7, just like any other disk. Then you do the copy.

If you can do that, we're almost done.

• 12. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                                elpense Level 1

OMG!!  You are a genius and I could screw up a tin can and string!  The files are now on my hard drive waiting to go to the converter.  Will have to do tonight as I'm really late for work.  THANK YOU!!!  (Says sheepishly, that was too easy and none of my local pros suggested that!)

• 13. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                                  dj_paige Level 9

Run the DNG Converter, point to the folder on your hard disk (not the photos themselves) that contains the photos. Then convert. Try importing the DNGs into Lightroom.

• 14. Re: New D810 Import Problem
                                    elpense Level 1

Who needs to be on time for work?

Files are on the hard drive, successfully converted and successfully imported into Lightroom and correctly moved to the desired location.  All is well in my world!  Thank you again!!