4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 9:08 AM by Szalam

GPU usage

Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

NordicFilmworks wrote:

Adobe has been completed silent on making significant updates to support Mac users, including supporting our GPUs, even though they had several years to do so.

After Effects does support GPUs in the new Macs. I'm not sure why you think they don't.

If you're referring to acceleration of the ray-traced renderer, that can only happen with NVIDIA cards since it uses CUDA technology. It simply cannot be accelerated on cards without CUDA. There are (undoubtedly) multiple reasons Adobe has quit development of the ray-traced renderer. I'm guessing the GPU-specific nature of it is one reason. Adobe has already (for the past couple of years) had an improved 3d workflow in the works. Granted, there are some things you can't do with it yet (expressions, etc.) that you can do with the ray-traced renderer, but the AE team has promised that those will be taken care of as they continue development.

To everyone else in this thread, the issue of the RAM preview lag is specific to Yosemite. It has something to do with the new OS. Unfortunately, it's not a simple issue to fix. TRUST ME. If it were, they would have a fix in the works!

The recent update was just a Camera RAW update which doesn't even have anything to do with the AE team.

However, the AE team has said they're planning to release an AE update in a week or so. That being said, the RAM preview issue isn't likely to be fixed in that update either or they would have said so. In my experience, the After Effects team has been very good about communicating progress on their bugs - especially on big bugs like this one. In this case, they have told us that both Apple and Adobe are working on figuring out where the issue is. My guess is that the lack of information from Adobe is due to the fact that there is no more information to give.

In the meantime, if you don't want to wait for your RAM preview to loop for it to work correctly, don't upgrade to Yosemite. If you get a new machine with Yosemite, learn to wait for it to loop. I mean, a RAM preview isn't going to be minutes long, and by the time I'm at the stage when I'm ready to RAM preview, I usually want to watch it through a few times anyway, so it shouldn't impact your workflow too much. Granted, twenty seconds here and there can certainly add up (and it's definitely annoying). So, hopefully Apple and Adobe can figure this issue out soon.

• 1. Re: GPU usage
          NordicFilmworks Level 1

WRONG!

Classic 3d is not GPU accelerated,which is the majority of my workflow.  To suggest that is baloney.  Premiere is GPU accelerated on AMD cards; the only thing that is GPU accelerated on AE is fast previews with AMD.

• 2. Re: GPU usage

NordicFilmworks wrote:

WRONG!

Classic 3d is not GPU accelerated,which is the majority of my workflow.  To suggest that is baloney.  Premiere is GPU accelerated on AMD cards; the only thing that is GPU accelerated on AE is fast previews with AMD.

I'm confused as to what I said that you think was incorrect. I didn't say anything about classic 3d. I talked about acceleration of the ray-traced renderer.

And, since you don't use the ray-traced renderer, I'm also confused about the complaint you made that I was initially responding to. What sort of support for your GPU do you want from the Adobe team? Your Mac's GPU is already doing what the GPU in any Windows machine would be doing in AE. That is to say, not much. GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

• 3. Re: GPU usage
              NordicFilmworks Level 1

Szalam wrote:

After Effects does support GPUs in the new Macs.

That is what you said that was so beyond incorrect its not even funny.  No, windows machines you can use GPU retraced 3d which is leaps and bounds better than classic 3d CPU powered.  The software is not equal on both machines.  Adobe should remove the "works on mac" sticker off the box lol

• 4. Re: GPU usage

NordicFilmworks wrote:

Szalam wrote:

After Effects does support GPUs in the new Macs.

That is what you said that was so beyond incorrect its not even funny.  No, windows machines you can use GPU retraced 3d which is leaps and bounds better than classic 3d CPU powered.  The software is not equal on both machines.  Adobe should remove the "works on mac" sticker off the box lol

I think we are misunderstanding each other. The issue it seems that you are discussing is not a Mac vs. Windows thing. It is a GPU thing. Lots of Macs have NVIDIA GPUs too. (Not the latest ones, but that's fine as I'm about to explain.)

The only feature that isn't supported on AMD cards is acceleration of the ray-traced renderer. You can still use the feature if you have AMD cards, but it is much slower. I would say that it's so slow that it is pretty useless. Again, this is an issue on Windows too if you have an AMD card.

However, you seem to be overestimating the importance of the ray-traced renderer. The ray-traced renderer is considered obsolete by the Adobe team and very few people use it.

I have NVIDIA cards in my computers at work and at home (including in my MacBook Pro), but I've never used the ray-traced renderer in a project. The classic renderer - which is faster than the ray-traced renderer no matter what GPU you have - is all that I use. If I want text to have depth, I use Cinema 4D (which comes free with After Effects). Sometimes I will use a plugin like Element (which also renders faster than the ray-traced renderer), but the point is, I don't use the ray-traced renderer. I don't know of anybody who uses it in a production workflow.