4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 7:52 AM by resdesign

Edge is giving me so many problems, I don't even know where to begin.

ARCWuLF Level 1

I am using Adobe Edge Animate 2014.1.1, and I'm scratching my head as to how Adobe can call this broken piece of software a "release" when it seems like a barely-functional beta.

Here are a list of the problems that I'm having with a minor project for a website - there is no way I'm ever going to make it live in the condition it is in.

1. Symbol bounding boxes. I re-sized a symbol's stage after I created it, and other than the numbers changing there is literally no difference when I exit the symbol. I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or if it doesn't work (like so much else in this program). This is kind of a problem when I want to hide the overflow.
      2. Animations stop working. I went to several tutorials and even (so help me) the official Edge Animate .pdf to figure out how to create a mouseover animations, but when I run it in my web browser preview they just stop working for no reason that I can see. I have gone over this for nearly 8 hours straight and I'm getting tired of dealing with it.
      3. Code snippets are gone. This one makes me pretty angry. They've been missing for awhile now, but not having them handy makes experimentation (and learning) even more difficult.
      4. Random C++ errors. No reason given, not even a clue as to what is causing them - they just kill the program.
      5. No "Save As" feature. If I could save my work as an older version of Edge Animate and use an older iteration of the program I would just do that, but no -- I can't open anything I made in the new version with the old versions. There's no HTML 5 video or audio in the animations I'm doing, so why can't I do this? Looks like another half-baked Adobe idea to force people to upgrade.
      6. Lousy official help. I have contacted Adobe about these issues a few times now, and the operators who "helped" me just sent me to the community forums, but every single time I "type a question" in the search bar nothing comes up, and I don't feel like rooting through thousands of posts to find one that MIGHT be of use to me a good use of my time.

Yes, I am a "noob." I have almost two decades worth of experience using Photoshop & Illustrator plus some college-level animation training, and I've never been able to wrap my head around how horrible Flash was, or how anyone could stand using it, but from what I'm seeing now Edge isn't much better.

• 1. Re: Edge is giving me so many problems, I don't even know where to begin.
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry for all your troubles. There are still some issues in this version but many have been corrected.

I assume you have 2014.1.1 version.

• resizing the stage of a symbol will update when you exit the symbol. If you reopen it you will see it was updated to the new size.
          • not sure why your events are not working. I use mouseenter and mouseleave rather thant mouseover and mouseout
          • this C++ error should be corrected in the 1.1 release
          • If you have both versions on your computer, you should be able to use the previous version and then open it in the new version if you want to upgrade. If you start with the new version, it is difficult to open in the old version because the versions are so different but you can if you edit the version number in the edge.js file. Then you will have to remove the last line in full code.
          • We all here try to help this community as much as we can.
          • 2. Re: Edge is giving me so many problems, I don't even know where to begin.
            ARCWuLF Level 1

@redesign :

I stated right off the bat that I was using 2014.1.1. Not to be rude, but if you're not going to read my post, please don't respond. I'm not trying to be a jerk with these posts but I've been having a very rough experience with Edge for the last week and it's really soured me on the whole thing.

1. No, re-sizing the stage is NOT WORKING. When I am inside the symbol the new stage is visible and correct, but when I exit the symbol the old stage sizes still apply. If I have hidden overflow turned on this is an issue - I basically have to make the entire symbol over from scratch.
            2. I have a button that controls another graphic that scales when you hover over it. Just to be clear, the rectangle with the hover is NOT the animation - the animation (which is separate), scales fine sometimes but at other times will pop to its max scale and pop down during the hover, with no animation. There seems to be no reason for it. Here is what I've done: I have a rectangle with the following (on mouseover OR mouseenter - I've tried both there is NO DIFFERENCE) sym.getSymbol("Button-Why-Sym").play(0); -- this causes the symbol to scale up in 250ms,   (on mouseout OR mouseleave - I've tried both there is NO DIFFERENCE) sym.getSymbol("Button-Why-Sym").playReverse(250); -- this causes it to return to its original size in 250ms. Each symbol has a "sym.stop();" trigger at 0ms and 250ms to keep it from animating as soon as it's created. If you try mousing over the rectangle multiple times, the animations break and won't reset. I'm sure that there is probably some simple fix but I can't find it - I'm using the same techniques that every single tutorial seems to use.
            3. The C++ errors occur, and always break whatever file I'm working on - usually permanently. They happen at random.
            4. That seems like a lot of work for something that is included out-of-the-box in many other Adobe applications, though it looks like that might be going the way of the dodo.
            5. I'm not bashing this community. I've found a lot of answers on this site, but Adobe customer service has been generally worthless. For a company that many people have claimed is a near-monopoly, the way the operators on the other end have stuck their fingers in their ears when I have reported these problems and deferred me to other (paying) users is reprehensible.

I was EXCITED for Edge Animate -- an easy way to make simple web animations without having to resort to Flash -- but the abysmal state of this program has me incensed.

• 3. Re: Edge is giving me so many problems, I don't even know where to begin.
              ARCWuLF Level 1

THE SIMPLE SOLUTION:

I removed the "stop" triggers, and reversed the animation. It now shrinks as soon as it's created, so I changed the order of the mouseover and mouseout animations. Now it works fine and doesn't seem to break.

• 4. Re: Edge is giving me so many problems, I don't even know where to begin.
                resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Fine. I will not respond to your posts from now on and since I receive hundred of emails for posts and PM requests for help, one less is great.