0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 1:25 PM by cinevit25

Alpha Channel / gradation interpretation problem

cinevit25

I have a very peculiar problem, which started happening after upgrading to CC 2014. I was hoping that the latest update would fix it but it didn't.

The problem is with the incorrect way Premiere interpreters Animation codec QT files with alpha with semi-transparent elements that were exported from AE. I have never seen this kind of behavior in any software before. As long as I had my alpha set to straight (unmatted), RGB + Alpha Millions of Colors+ when exporting from AE, everything has always worked fine. And it did in this project. I dropped the animation on the top of my footage in the sequence and it worked. But then after the upgrade to 2014 some unexpected results started to happen whenever I reposition the imported graphics that have alpha.

This image is correct before repositioning it:

test 1.jpg

And look what happens as soon as I move it:

test 2.jpg

The difference is huge and unacceptable!

The interesting thing is when I reset the position to original it looks fine again.

I checked several things:

- footage interpretation is correct: straight alpha

- sequence settings: composite in linear color is checked off (and if I turn it on it messes up the other elements - so I assume default off is correct)

- Changing the clip's opacity blending mode to Lighten fixes the problem in a way. But I can't use lighten on these graphics because I have some dark elements as well (which become transparent when in lighten mode)

The bottom line is - this just should work. Importing animation codec QT files with alpha is pretty straightforward and basic operation. So is there some kind of a bug?

I don't know what else I could do. This really messes my client revision process because I need to readjust position of the graphic elements. And just the way and why this is happening does not make sense to me.

Please help! Thanks.

Jim