3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2014 1:16 AM by SquareEyez√

Where is all the basic clip metadata?!

b3film

I don't know why more people aren't up in arms about this. Final Cut 1.0 and Quicktime 7 could read more basic metadata than Premiere can, unless I'm being a total idiot, which I would love to be because then I wouldn't be going so crazy.

I have audio files that were recorded with a Zaxcom Nomad. The Nomad, just like many common field recorders these days, embeds clip metadata in the files it records. Lots of it. Simple stuff like scene and take info, to notes from the sound mixer himself. If I open these files in a program called Wave Agent, it is easily read and viewable. However, no matter how many boxes I check off in Premiere's "metadata display options," I cannot see any of this information. WHY?!

Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong. Because it is just absurd that simple info like this does not carry over into Premiere. Same goes for video files and the codec they used. It's absurd!

• 1. Re: Where is all the basic clip metadata?!
          SquareEyez√ Level 1

That seems odd- as there is a ridiculous amount of metadata viewable in premiere.

Reading your note- I'm not familiar with the classification of metadata your recorder would use... But Codec, for sure is in there, as I use it.

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 3.16.59 PM.png

Would your sound mixer be available to tell you what 'channel' the recorder stores the metadata in?

Not very helpful maybe, but I also find that the metadata window can be more useful than the 'metadata display' user options in the column layout of the project window

Good luck :/

• 2. Re: Where is all the basic clip metadata?!
            b3film Level 1

Video codec seems to work now, but I'm still getting zero metadata from the audio files. Don't mind the file names, I renamed them from "MARA_D10XXX" in Premiere...because there was no metadata.

Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 5.32.40 PM.png

But it's all there in Wave Agent.

Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 5.31.33 PM.png

• 3. Re: Where is all the basic clip metadata?!
              SquareEyez√ Level 1

Ugh- what a drag. Hate that time sucking crap.

So, in the interests of science, I'm assuming that the scene, comment etc columns have yielded nothing useful from the recorder metadata? I still think it would be useful to know the scheme of the recorder ie what it classifies certain data as.

I Wish I could be more helpful, but I barely scratch the surface of premieres metadata As I haven't really needed it all that much.