13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 4:12 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom 5 corrupting files

REDennis Level 1

Hello all - I've read on the forums that some users have experienced file corruption they attribute to Lightroom, while others in response insist Lightroom cannot alter an original raw file in any way.  That said, it sure seems to me that Lightroom is somehow corrupting some of my Nikon NEF files.

This appears typically as lines of "ripped", blocky and unregistered color across the image left to right in horizontally formatted NEF files, as an example. Some portion of the image may also be missing and appears white on screen.  These were files shot in the field and originally imported to a laptop, backed up to external drives, and one of those drives used as the source for import into my desktop editing machine.  The corruption occurs after ingest into the desktop, and seems to happen randomly. 

On occasion I am able to discard the preview for the corrupted file and regenerate a preview, which in turn reveals the image is in fact okay.  However, as I encountered this afternoon, the regenerated preview results in no change to the apparent file corruption.  I took this file into One One Photo Suite software, and it originally showed a preview JPG as non corrupt but when I selected the image to edit full screen it would not read the file.  I took the same file then into View NX software where its preview again appeared fine in the grid view, then fine again when I brought the file up on full screen to edit.  I output a TIF version of the file from View NX and the output TIF exhibited the same visual corruption as I found initially in Lightroom. When back in View NX, I select the RAW button in the upper left corner - this seems to generate a new preview in View NX and indeed the new preview file appears corrupt.

The original file on the laptop and on its external backup drive check out okay - I re-ingested them to a test folder on the desktop, and they read fine in View NX and in Lightroom.  So the problem occurs on my desktop sometime after ingest from the laptop (I know this because the file was appeared a-okay after that laptop to desktop ingest, but now - a couple of days later - it is corrupt on the desktop harddrive).

I've checked and rechecked the desktop harddrive (a 4tb drive) and it checks out okay. 

It sure seems to me that Lightroom must read the original NEF file in order to extract metadata as well as the JPG preview file from it.  I don't see any other way for Lightroom to bring that information into its catalog, so my assumption therefore is that Lightroom in fact accesses the original NEF file to do this.  If it accesses it at least reads the file and my thought is that action must somehow corrupt the file data on random images, or perhaps in the process of extracting metadata and writing sidecar XMP files, as I've set my system up to do that by default.

BTW this has occurred most recently on D7100 camera files as well as my new D810 camera files.  The file in question came out of the D810.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Just reading a file will not corrupt it.  Writing must take place for that to happen.

What software are you using to transfer the files from your memory cards to your computer?

Can you link us to an example of your corrupted files?

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
            REDennis Level 1

I'm using Lightroom - latest version 5.7 (on both laptop and desktop) - to ingest from cards into laptop.  I then output a catalog containing the recent shoot to the laptop's external backup drive, take that drive to the desktop, connect via USB 3.0 and use Lightroom on the desktop to import the catalog to the desktop.

Here's a link to the corrupted NEF file in a dropbox folder:  Dropbox - VisWild-Moab-RD-120514-1074.NEF

and a link to a TIF version of the same corrupted file:  Dropbox - VisWild-Moab-RD-120514-1074.TIF

and a link to the uncorrupted version of the NEF file pulled from the laptop backup external drive (renamed to "...1074a.nef" so as not to overwrite the n.g. file in the same dropbox folder):  Dropbox - VisWild-Moab-RD-120514-1074a.NEF

• 3. Re: Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files

The "corrupted" NEF files is definitely corrupted.  Nikon's View NX2 shows that.  A quick file compare shows a single byte difference deep in the middle of the file.

My initial recommendation would be to try a different card reader.

Alternatively, try moving the files from the cards to the hard drive not by Lightroom as a test.

• 4. Re: Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
                REDennis Level 1

OK - but I don't think the card reader (the Hoodman USB3.0 Raw Steel UMDA reader) is at fault, as I used that for ingest to the laptop, where the file is not corrupt.

The laptop files are not corrupted - I pulled the uncorrupted NEF file from the external drive that was backed-up in the field directly from the laptop's internal drive.  I used that external backup drive as the source for ingest of all files to the desktop via USB 3.0, using Lightroom.  

After I found the corrupted file tonight I naturally went back to the external field backup drive where a copy of the original file still existed, and that file was not corrupt.  So corruption occurred sometime after ingest to the desktop, my review of those files on the desktop a few days ago, and my stumbling across the corrupted file tonight.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
                  dj_paige Level 9

Or the card reader only fails intermittently, some photos are read properly, but a few are not.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
                    johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

You also might have an intermittently failing disk drive or memory on your desktop.  LR does not write raw files (unless you have set Catalog  Settings > Metadata > Write date or time changes into proprietary raw files). 

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
                      vickib76060431

Did you ever find a solution for this?? , i have one photo that looks eerily similar to yours, just happened last night. only started using lightroom a week or so ago.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
                        Keith_Reeder Level 4

You've had your answers here, Vicki - it's a hardware problem:

Half of picture is bright pink and orange

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
                          vickib76060431 Level 1

well how do i figure it out?

brand new computer , less than a month old.

is it something to do with ViewNx2 and Lightroom not playing well together?

how do i figure that out so i dont have this happen again?

Thanks

• 10. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
                            vickib76060431 Level 1

I dont see why asking the fellow who obviously had a similar thing happen , how he resolved it  is the wrong thing to do.  I may have gotten the answer here but

I dont have a solution on how to resolve it .

thanks

• 11. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files

What you need to do is find the source of the corruption.

Try a different card reader.

Try a different USB cable from the reader to the computer.

Try copying the files using only your OS tools (no Adobe or Nikon software).

• 12. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
                                vickib76060431 Level 1

I am working on trying to find out what happened to prevent it from happening going forward.

I do not use a card reader , so that is obviously not the problem.

From what i have gathered doing some research on corrupt files, is that a corrupt file/image will show up when downloaded.

the photo in question was downloaded into viewnx2 , edited and exported as a jpeg about the beginning of march  (as far as i know jpg

is still fine)

approx 3 weeks later after installing lightroom , i was trying some presets out on it and that is when the corruption occured.

so it is a bit of mystery, I am planning on removing any photos that i have previously edited in ViewNx2 from my light room catalog , just so i dont have

this happen again.

I appreciate the suggestions and efforts to assist.

If you have any other thoughts , please let me know.

thanksVicki

• 13. Re: Lightroom 5 corrupting files
                                  dj_paige Level 9

I do not use a card reader , so that is obviously not the problem.

If you have any other thoughts , please let me know.

As stated by ManiacJoe and others, there are other possible sources of corruption than the card reader, including the USB Cable and USB port your are using. Please try importing using different cable and different USB port, also import to a different hard disk, or even better (if possible), import to Lightroom on a different computer entirely.

I am planning on removing any photos that i have previously edited in ViewNx2 from my light room catalog ,

If you have successfully imported photos into Lightroom, then they are not the cause of any problem we have been discussing, even if they were edited in ViewNX2, and thus this action will not fix the problem of slow importing.

This is the wrong path to go down -- and don't you want those photos in your LR catalog anyway? A few days ago, before this problem, yes, you did want those photos in your catalog. They're not causing the problem. Leave them alone.