8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2014 2:13 PM by dj_paige

One or many cataloges

theking2 Level 1

I've received different recommendations on Lr Cataloges. One say use only one (helpx.adobe.com) and others say create catalogues for each project / reportage you are working on.

Which one would you recommend`?

• 1. Re: One or many cataloges
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Professional or Keen Amateur?

Keen Amateur- One Catalog. All images. All keyword indexed. All accessible all the time!

Professional- A Catalog for each Job or Project. Each Catalog archived away with the job images (maybe never to be seen again)

Lightroom can only open ONE catalog at the one time. Edits done in one catalog are not available in another, even though the image may have been imported into multiple catalogs.

With ONE catalog you will never have to ask yourself- Where did I edit that image??

• 2. Re: One or many cataloges
            Simon G E Garrett Level 2

There are lots of advantages in a single catalog: you can see everything at the same time, search for anything, form collections from any images.

I really can't think of any disadvantages.  There is no significant performance hit for large catalogs.   

I know some people prefer multiple catalogs, but I can't think of any reason for doing so that can't better be done better using a single catalog. 

• 3. Re: One or many cataloges
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The "correct" answer probably depends on the what you do with your photography.

I place all my personal photos in one catalog.

In a separate catalog I place all my event images for one year, usually named something like "2014_Events"

I shoot a lot of beach volleyball tournaments and high school volleyball matches and tournaments. For these two sports, a separate catalog is used to track one sport for one year. Makes for easy archiving. "2014_Beach_Volleyball", "2014_HS_Volleyball".

For me, the choice to use a separate or same catalog for multiple projects would depend on the size of the project and how I wanted to archive the catalog.

• 4. Re: One or many cataloges
                theking2 Level 1

Thanks! All very good advice. I will create different catalogues per project, Thereby keeping the images and edits seperated and easy findable.

• 5. Re: One or many cataloges
                  DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

What happens if you are trying to find a particular image and you do not know which project it is in?

• 6. Re: One or many cataloges
                    theking2 Level 1

I'm happy you asked that question, DdeGannes.

If I'm looking for a specific image I would now for which project it was. If the image was made for a specific project but has qualities beyond that I will include it in a seperate catalogue. For instance, I have a catalogue Buildings & Surroundings that includes images which are specific for that topic. It might, however, have been created during a project photo-shoot. It is the only way to handle the amount of images collected over years. It will also allow me to archive a project (catalog and images) to off-line storage, whilst keeping the images with a more eternal quality.

• 7. Re: One or many cataloges
                      Simon G E Garrett Level 2

theking2 wrote:

If I'm looking for a specific image I would now for which project it was.

You must be smarter than me!  Very often I know pretty much when a picture was taken, but in that case I don't need Lightroom's organisation capabilities.  It's when I can't remember that I really appreciate everything in one catalogue.  With over 65,000 images that does happen occasionally. 

theking2 wrote:

If the image was made for a specific project but has qualities beyond that I will include it in a seperate catalogue. For instance, I have a catalogue Buildings & Surroundings that includes images which are specific for that topic. It might, however, have been created during a project photo-shoot. It is the only way to handle the amount of images collected over years. It will also allow me to archive a project (catalog and images) to off-line storage, whilst keeping the images with a more eternal quality.

Do you mean you keep some images in multiple catalogues?  That way confusion lies.  Lightroom's confusion that is.  It doesn't cope well with images in multiple catalogues.  Perhaps I've misunderstood you. 

theking2 wrote:

It is the only way to handle the amount of images collected over years. It will also allow me to archive a project (catalog and images) to off-line storage, whilst keeping the images with a more eternal quality.

Again, I'm not sure I follow this.  There is no problem having a single catalogue where some of the images are offline. 

I've not yet found any disadvantage in a single catalogue, but I'm always keen to be enlightened. 

• 8. Re: One or many cataloges
                        dj_paige Level 9

It is the only way to handle the amount of images collected over years.

Clearly a false statement, it is not the only way, as many people manage their entire set of images in a single catalog. Within that single catalog, you can easily create meaningful subsets (the equivalent of your idea of separate catalogs) that contain only the photos you want, using either keywords or collections.

It will also allow me to archive a project (catalog and images) to off-line storage, whilst keeping the images with a more eternal quality.

Again, those of us who use a single catalog for all of our photos do not find this to be a necessary step at all. In fact, to me it seems like unnecessary work.