26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 9:18 AM by A.T. Romano

Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.

Heliossss

I just installed Premiere Element13. The program launches but when I select either "New" or "Existing" project, a pop-up will show with the message"Adobe Premiere Element.exe - No Disk" "Please insert disk in drive D". The pop-up cannot be dismissed and the program is stuck there and won't even close. I have to go to Task Manager to end it!  I am running Windows 8.1, i5 4670K CPU, 8G RAM, 1T HD with DVD burner. Any suggestion?

• 1. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No disk in drive possible fix https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1587187

-the fix has to do with installling Smartsound for Premiere Elements version 11

• 2. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
            Heliossss Level 1

Thanks John. I'll wait a bit to see if there are other suggestions before I try the SmartSound route since I have version 13 instead of 11.

• 3. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
              Heliossss Level 1

Thanks for the email info. I just downloaded the SmartSound  zip file and am going to going to give it a try since I haven't seen any other suggestions for version 13.

• 4. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                Heliossss Level 1

I installed Smartsound and tried to launch Premiere Element 13. The same thing is happening. "Adobe Premiere Element.exe - No Disk". I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling both Photoshop Element and Premiere Element 13 and do a CCClean and then see what is going to happen and post the result.

• 5. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Heliossss

Premiere Elements 13 does not have the SmartSound feature as does Premiere Elements 11. Instead it has Music Score which is in concept like SmartSound but not SmartSound. Consequently I believe that the no disc issue related to Premiere Elements 11 SmartSound has no relevancy in this thread. And SmartSound installation related to that notion is counterproductive.

The no disc issue seems to be presenting more and more in Premiere Elements 13, and no one fix has surfaced.

But, I would encourage you to go with your own assessment

1. Uninstall the program the usual Control Panel route

2. Do a free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete installs and reinstalls

CCleaner - Download

3. Reinstall the program with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Also, what is the description of your computer drives, especially the removable drives?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Looking forward to your follow up to this more and more frequently reported "no disc" for Premiere Elements 13.

ATR

• 6. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                    Heliossss Level 1

ATR:

Thanks. I shall try to do uninstall and cclean and reinstall after turning antivirus and firewall off. Should I leave the Smartsound on my computer or remove it since it has no bearing on Premiere Element 13? My HD is drive C; my DVD is drive H. My built-in card reader is drive F and only shows as F when I have a card in it. The USB port on the card reader is I: if I have a flash drive in it, otherwise it does not show.

• 7. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Heliossss

Do you have Premiere Elements 11 or earlier on your computer? If not, then I would get rid of any SmartSound installs of today.

I would go with the uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall scheme for now, leaving the drives as is.

When you look at your drives while you have this problem, do you ever see a D drive under Computer/Manage/Disc Management?

ATR

• 8. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                        PRE_help Adobe Employee

Could you try removing the Old Film effect from the installed location of Premiere Elements 13 and then try to launch the app? The exact file to be removed is (assuming you have installed it in the default location)

Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 13\Plug-Ins\Common\NewBlue\OldFilm.AEX

While we are not 100% certain this is to blame, we have seen internally that this has fixed the problem in some cases. Let us know if this helps.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 9. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thanks for the suggestion for No Disc error in Premiere Elements 13.

1. I have posted your suggestion for a try in another recent thread, that one for No Disc in Premiere Elements 12.

2. Your suggestion says to remove the OldFilm.AEX. Does that work if you just disable the OldFilm.AEX by renaming it

from OldFilm.AEX to OldFilm.AEXOLD?

ATR

• 10. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                            Heliossss Level 1

ATR:

I have Premiere Element 13. I removed Smartsound and uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere according to all the steps but to no avail. The same "No Disk" pop-up led to final crashing of the program. However your question about my Drive Manager prompted me to look and indeed I do have drives D;E;F;G which are assigned to my combo built-in card reader. F is for the SD card which I use. When my Premiere 13 first try to load an existing project or start a new one, the "No Disk" pop-up will appear with instruction to put disk in drive E. I can hit cancel or close repeatedly to make it go away and then get my video editing project going. However, when I try to access "Titles" or some other feature, "NO Disk" pops up again with instruction to put disk in drive D. This pop-up will not go away no matter what I do and eventually crash the program. After your prompting, I found an old compact disk and put that in my card reader and the pop-up for "No Disk" went away allowing me to access other features of the video editing program.

This is an easy fix. I probably need to find a xD card or memory stick and may be that should also take care of the initial pop-up looking for drive E. I am away from my computer now and have not tried suggestion by PRE_help via this forum and email to remove OldFilm.AEX. Thanks to all the help, I can work on my project and hope to get a video ready for a family gathering at Christmas. I'll post any new insight after I have a chance to work some more with the program and perhaps try the suggestion of PRE_help.

• 11. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Heliossss

Thanks for the major contributions to this No Disc issue that has been targeting Premiere Elements, especially lately Premiere Elements 13.

Threads seem to move through the first page of the forum quickly and fade into history. I will try to keep watch for reports of this type of issue and try to keep my fellow Premiere Elements users aware of the information and solutions for Premiere Elements No Disc error.

Looking forward to learning of your progress. Your sharing is appreciated by all. Hoping that PRE_help's contribution will be a major advance against this error.

ATR

• 12. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                PRE_help Adobe Employee

ATR,

Yes, renaming the file so the extension changes to anyuthing other than .AEX can also help.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 13. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                  Heliossss Level 1

ATR:

I just deleted the OldFilm.AEX and everything seems to be working fine so far. No more pop-ups and crashing of the program. Wonder if there is any advantage in keeping the file and renaming the extension as far as the functionality of Premiere Element 13 is concerned?

• 14. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Heliossss

That was very great news and gives the users the possible opportunity for a fix for the No Disk error. Until more is know about this, I am guarded

about any thoughts on No Disc fix(es). I wonder how many different glitches can trigger this same error message.

What I would do until PRE_help and team define the situation, is to keep the disabled version OldFilm.AEXOLD in place.

We will be watching for PRE_help's return to this thread. Right now, thanks to PRE_help for sharing this information with Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

And, thanks Heliossss for your contribution in sharing your positive result.

More later.

ATR

• 15. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                      whsprague Level 4

Wow!  This truly "finding a needle in a haystack"!

• 16. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                        PRE_help Adobe Employee

Thanks for confirming. We should take this up from here. We still think there could be other cases where this error could happen. So if anyone sees this error even after removing/renaming this plugin, let us know in this thread.

OldFilm.AEX is used in some effects. There is a category named New Blue Film Look and contains one effect named "Old Film" in it. And in the Hollywood Looks category "News Reel" and "Old Film" use this plugin. So these will not be listed at all and hence cannot be used when Premiere Elements is launched, if this filter has been renamed/deleted. When you rename this back to the original, the effects are visible and functional from the next launch.

Other than this, there is no other impact.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 17. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thanks for getting involved in solution(s) for this No Disc error of Premiere Elements 13.

Previously I wrote

Until more is know about this, I am guarded

about any thoughts on No Disc fix(es). I wonder how many different glitches can trigger this same error message.

and your comment in post 16

We still think there could be other cases where this error could happen

confirms the validity of the guarded approach to jumping to the conclusion that there is but on cause and effect involved in this issue.

We will be watching for further developments. As always, your involvement/presence in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum is much appreciated.

ATR

• 18. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                            mackmelo

Hi Guys,

I was having the same issue with the No Disk Error and I found out that it was happening when using the Old Film Effect.

Following the tips by ATR and whsprague that there was a probable temporary solution here, I renamed the OldFilm.AEX and when I restarted the App it stopped from happening.

Hopefully they will create a new Old Film effect to replace it or find out how to fix this one so we can have it back.

Thanks guys!

• 19. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                              Heliossss Level 1

ATR:

It seems that the OldFilm.AEX took care of the NO DISK problem. However, Premiere Element 13 seems to have other issues. After I completed my video project and tried to burn that to disk, the no .DLL plug in error occurred and I had to check the forum again and found a work around by unchecking the hardware acceleration (for Intel HD graphics 2xxx and up) as well as the "fit everything to disk" and moving the slider to highest quality. Kind of makes me wonder what else is lurking in Premiere Element 13 as one explores and uses it more?!

• 20. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Heliossss

I just installed the purchased version of Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit.  Interesting....

1. Beyond the usual, there seems to be a problem with this version's Interpret Footage and Properties readings for the .mod widescreen 16:9 file

Premiere Elements 13 Major .MOD Widescreen Concerns

2. With the Sept 2014 tryout there was a video transition named Funnel which is not there now in December 2014 in the

purchased version.

3. In the Sept. 2014 tryout, there were 2 new Movie Menu themes in the Kid's Corner category (Recital and Back to School). They

are not there in my December 2014 purchased Premiere Elements 13.

4. There are some reports about some .m2ts files having no sound only in the Elements Organizer 13 player. More news on that.

This just might be a problem with AC-3 (Dolby Digital) support in this particular user file in the Elements Organizer 13 player. If you run into this type of issue, please let us know.

But, right now all is moving along nicely. Hope all is going well there.

Best wishes

ATR

• 21. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                                  Retr0Rob

FYI I had the "No Disk" error and removing the Old Film Effect corrected it for me. Can this be avoided entirely by downloading the trial version and activating it?

• 22. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

retrOrob

With regard to the question that you have asked PRE_help regarding avoiding the No Disc error associated with Premiere Elements 13....

99.9999% of those reporting the No Disc error in 13 have solved the problem by following PRE_help's suggested fix of deletion of the OldFilm.AEX file.

I have used the Premiere Elements 13 tryout (download from Adobe) and later the purchased version (from disc) and have uninstalled reinstalled (from disc) the program at least once since September 2014 when 13 was released and have never gotten the No Disc error.

So, if a user is going to get this error, I would question any way to avoid this error, be it installation from installation files from download or installation from disc.

Can this be avoided entirely by downloading the trial version and activating it?

ATR

• 23. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                                      Retr0Rob Level 1

Sounds inline with my (admittedly limited) experience. Just while I have your attention I have to say I'm pretty happy with my experience thus far. I have been using iMovie and AVS to edit my Youtube videos and the Guys Games and Beer podcast and decided it would be smart to use the same platform to edit both (I use Mac for one and Windows for the other). All in all I have found the transition mostly painless. The interface is inline with norms and the tool selection is above average. Video output quality and stability are really very, very good. I would say this one little issue is small in comparison to the product quality. Basically for those reading this:  download the demo version and activate it using your registration key and all should go well.

• 24. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

retr0rob

Thanks for your follow up comments on your experiences with Premiere Elements 13. Glad that all is working well for you. Sounds like you did very well in working through the workflows to achieve your video editing goals. I envy you the opportunity to view the programs from the Windows and Mac perspectives.

Best wishes moving forward.

ATR

• 25. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                                          lindam41360898

I also had the error with the online delivered program. I renamed the OldFilm.AEX and so far the error hasn't happened again.

Probably a dumb question - but if this is the problem can't you fix the plugin or remove it from the installation?

At the very least put this on the front page of the forum - pinned so it is easy to find rather than buried at the bottom of a not so easy to find post.

• 26. Re: Newly installed Premiere Element 13 won't run.
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

lindam

Just user to user here.

The No Disk error is a well known Premiere Elements 13/13.1 issue which was not corrected by Adobe in the 13.1 Update. But, the issue and its solution are not buried at the bottom of a not so easy to find post.

A search of this forum or online with tags of Premiere Elements 13 No Disc will bring up quickly the issue and the Adobe solution.

We will be watching for PRE_help's reply to your question pointed to it.

Always remember, if you have questions or need clarification about your Premiere Elements workflows, never hesitate to ask in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum. We are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR