6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2014 2:42 PM by volocose

Keywording

volocose

I am trying to edit keywords and can't scroll them"Keyword List" as I work between this list and the "Keywording"  window.   Is there any way to pop out the "Keyword List" so that I can go back and forth more easily.  Very cumbersome to click on a keyword in the list, reveal the photos that have that keyword, go to the "Keywording" window, make the edits and then reopen the "Keyword List" and scan down till i see the last highlighted keyword.

Any suggestions?

Emily

• 1. Re: Keywording
          dj_paige Level 9

You can't pop out any panels in Lightroom.

Very cumbersome to click on a keyword in the list, reveal the photos that have that keyword, go to the "Keywording" window, make the edits and then reopen the "Keyword List" and scan down till i see the last highlighted keyword.

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing or why you are doing it this way. Can you explain in more detail (both the idea and the actions you are taking)?

• 2. Re: Keywording
            volocose Level 1

Thanks for responding.

I have a long list of keywords.  I am going through and combining now: bicycle, bicycles, bike, bikes and any misspelling are to be merged.  I want to be able to go through the keywords, see the photos that have that keyword and change them.  Then I want to get back to the last keyword i modified and keep going though the alphabet. 

Emily

• 3. Re: Re: Keywording
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              I am going through and combining now: bicycle, bicycles, bike, bikes and any misspelling are to be merged.  I want to be able to go through the keywords, see the photos that have that keyword and change them.  Then I want to get back to the last keyword i modified and keep going though the alphabet.

One technique to reduce the scrolling is to filter the keywords using the search box in the Keyword List pane:

Untitled.png

Only those keywords containing at least one of the entered terms will be displayed (a "boolean OR" in tech terms).  So you could enter "bicycle" (which will also match "bicycles"), "bike" (also matches "bikes"), and other misspellings, and only those keywords will be displayed.

Another technique to manage very large keyword lists is to introduce hierarchy, which makes the LR user interface a little easier to use.

Many people feel LR's keyword management overall is pretty weak.  If you agree, please add your vote and opinion to this thread in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Better keyword management

• 4. Re: Keywording
                volocose Level 1

OK. I joined the chorus of people who are frustrated by the keywording capacity.

Meanwhile, is it possible to export/print my current keyword list to see what i've got?

I think there is.

E

• 5. Re: Keywording
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Do Metadata > Export Keywords.

• 6. Re: Keywording
                    volocose Level 1

Thanks John. Happy Holidays.

E