3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 6:40 PM by washertruck

Has anyone seen a DRASTIC change in speed after upgrading to 5.7?

Shab

Has anyone seen a DRASTIC change in speed after upgrading to 5.7? Just the simple task of copying photos now takes FOREVER. Importing iphoto for just two years of photos (my smallest iphoto library by far) took A WEEK. I did not have access to Lightroom for a week. I thought it was just going to be the iphoto import, but now my regular import is taking almost 1/2 an hour and only 22 photos into the import.

• 1. Re: Has anyone seen a DRASTIC change in speed after upgrading to 5.7?
          washertruck

Oh no! I think I might be experiencing the same problem, oddly with almost exactly the same time to import from iPhoto, just shy of 7 days...

I also posted this problem to the form and am actually on the phone with Adobe support right now. I have an iPhoto library of ~15,000 photos and I didn't expect it to be very fast, but it's taking an average of at least 40 seconds per photo to import, and it has kept complete focus of LR so I can't even confirm that it isn't importing duplicates. By my calculations it should take over 166 hours to complete the import! Something has to be wrong here. I've been going for over 48 hours and am scared to stop the import if this really is normal performance.

Are normal import tasks also slow for you now? Can you share any more details? I can't test myself yet since the iPhoto import is still churning, but it could help troubleshooting with support. I'll let you know if they come back with anything, I'm on hold now.

• 2. Re: Has anyone seen a DRASTIC change in speed after upgrading to 5.7?
            Shab Level 1

In my case there was an issue with the hard drive. I haven't tried to

import any more iphoto photos yet, but will try overnight tonight and

report back what I find. I can now import into lightroom onto a different

hard drive so my lightroom is finally functional again. (although my drives

is giving me i/o error on some files, my backup of the drive lets me open

the files without issues, so I'm hoping that my problem has been resolved.

Good luck! Mine literally took over a week and that was my smallest file. I

would go to bed and wake up and it wouldn't have moved but 10% at times! It

was super frustrating.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 7:48 PM, washertruck <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Has anyone seen a DRASTIC change in speed after upgrading to 5.7?
              washertruck Level 1

Yeah, the support guys on the phone didn't know what was up but after confirming that the iPhoto import was not checking for duplicates (at least they thought) I canceled it and restarted my box. I've started a new import, still on my NAS, but this time to a fresh LR Catalog. It seems to be chugging along at a rate I would expect is closer to normal, about 2 photos per second (instead of 40 seconds per photo). I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it slows down as it progresses. If it does I'd suspect a pretty nasty memory leak somewhere and will report these two forum posts to feedback.photoshop.com.

But hopefully a reboot and importing to a fresh Catalog fixes it for now. And hopefully I'll be able to import one catalog into the other and detect duplicates that way...