7 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2006 2:33 PM by jthereliable

How do I recover a file?

jthereliable Level 1
      The problem was, I was playing around and checking out Dreamweaver 8 because I just installed it. I thought it would be better because it can update my computer and my site's file at the same time, without having me do all the FTPing... But, when I was testing this (with index.php) and wrote some extra line in it, it began to send functions.php... Then, Dreamweaver crashed and the functions.php from my computer and the site got destroyed... only 1/9th of the functions.php made it to the server... But for some reason, my computer only had the 1/9th also! I'm so frustrated because it took so long (10 days minimum) to write the functions.php... I can't rewrite it all because I don't remember what most of it was...
      So, my question was, when Dreamweaver cached everything, did it back up all my files somewhere? I've been looking all over but couldn't find anything... Is there anyway I can recover my file?

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: How do I recover a file?
          Level 7
          Unfortuately the cache does not go that far. If the site is on a hosted
          server I would check with them what their backups are because it may be
          possible to get it restored.

--
          Paul Whitham
          Certified Dreamweaver MX2004 Professional
          Adobe Community Expert - Dreamweaver

Valleybiz Internet Design
          www.valleybiz.net

"jthereliable" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e3to8p$ssp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > The problem was, I was playing around and checking out Dreamweaver 8
          > because I
          > just installed it. I thought it would be better because it can update my
          > computer and my site's file at the same time, without having me do all the
          > FTPing... But, when I was testing this (with index.php) and wrote some
          > extra
          > line in it, it began to send functions.php... Then, Dreamweaver crashed
          > and the
          > functions.php from my computer and the site got destroyed... only 1/9th of
          > the
          > functions.php made it to the server... But for some reason, my computer
          > only
          > had the 1/9th also! I'm so frustrated because it took so long (10 days
          > minimum)
          > to write the functions.php... I can't rewrite it all because I don't
          > remember
          > what most of it was...
          > So, my question was, when Dreamweaver cached everything, did it back up
          > all my
          > files somewhere? I've been looking all over but couldn't find anything...
          > Is
          > there anyway I can recover my file?
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >

• 2. Re: How do I recover a file?
            jthereliable Level 1
            Well... Thanks for the help, but the server doesn't have it backed up, I've been checking. Well, I guess I'll just rewrite everything. Well, I got all saturday to do that, thanks a lot for the help though
            • 3. Re: How do I recover a file?
              Level 7
              On Thu, 11 May 2006 01:27:47 +0000 (UTC), "jthereliable"
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Well... Thanks for the help, but the server doesn't have it backed up, I've
              >been checking.

He didn't say the server. He said the host. Any responsible hosting
              company will run periodic backups, usually nightly, but you'll have to
              specifically contact them and ask them to restore it. It's not something
              you can do from your end.

Gary
              • 4. Re: How do I recover a file?
                Level 7
                If you have Contribute Compatibility turned on for your Site, then DW
                stores the last 3 (by default) versions of you page. Right-click on the
                page in the Files Panel and select "Roll Back Page". It's saved me a few
                times

Thanks,
                Randy

> So, my question was, when Dreamweaver cached everything, did it back up all my
                > files somewhere? I've been looking all over but couldn't find anything... Is
                > there anyway I can recover my file?
                • 5. Re: How do I recover a file?
                  DianeV
                  And remember: whenever you're going to do anything radical to your site, make a copy first. This is best done periodically anyway -- if a crisis hits, or you just want to roll back to a previous versin, too many copies is better than none.
                  • 6. Re: How do I recover a file?
                    Level 7
                    not sure- but i'm guessing part of this happened from using a "site less"
                    site or whatever it's called in version 8, or some combination of
                    auto-save/auto-upload. A hiccup on the local computer or the internet
                    connection or the remote host; and there was no backup to revert to.

> And remember: whenever you're going to do anything radical to your site, make
                    > a copy first.

• 7. Re: How do I recover a file?
                      jthereliable Level 1
                      well, that's basically what happened... and then when it was uploading, the connection crashed half way or 1/9th of the way and that's all that made it through...