5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 9:06 AM by A.T. Romano

No recorded sound on video

jake_j
      Hi,

I suspect that my question is an example of hope springing eternal, but I don't want to die wondering.  Before recording a video I fitted my DSLR with an external microphone but forgot to switch it on (yes, don't tell me!)  The video recorded fine, but the sound during playback of the MOV file is simply a stream of what sounds like static with not even a hint of what should have been recorded.  Is there any chance that the fact that the external mic wasn't switched on will have resulted in the audio being recorded by the built-in camera mic and be available through tweaking some Premiere settings?

Thanks,

Ian

• 1. Re: No recorded sound on video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think that is really a question for a support forum for your brand/model camera (or reading in the user guide) since PE can only work with what is there

• 2. Re: No recorded sound on video
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jake_j

I do not think it is going to matter, but in case we have to get into version specific information, what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

As I see it, Premiere Elements is not going to tweak or bring out audio that is not imported and is not going to distinguish between internal and external output from the microphones.. Even if you could have two audio streams from the camera (internal, on; external, off), there is going to be only one composite audio imported into Audio 1.

If you go into the camera directory for the internal memory, what do you find there that relates to the possibility of the recording being made simultaneously to internal and external memory? Does the camera manufacturer have any information on this? With my camera it is either internal memory or external memory but not both.

Until proven otherwise, that is my impression of your situation.

ATR

• 3. Re: No recorded sound on video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jake_j

I did not see John's reply until after I had posted mine. Looks like we went in the same direction on this.

ATR

• 4. Re: No recorded sound on video
                jake_j Level 1

Thanks for your comments, ATR and John.  I've checked the camera memory for any files other than the MOV ones that may have audio on them, but no luck.  It looks like my hope will have to stay eternal! 

Regards,

Ian

• 5. Re: No recorded sound on video
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

Thanks for the follow up.

Have you considered trying to create a new audio file to place under the video - either background music or a narration track with comments as the

video plays?

Right click the import (video with bad audio linked), select Delete Audio. And, then import your newly created audio replacement.

If the voices of the people in the movie are critical to the cherished memories aspect of the project, any chance of recording audio for these people

for insert into the project to accompany the video?

Best wishes

ATR