2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2015 8:43 AM by johnrellis

Add location info after geotagging photos

dordi

I have a problem, or probably I wrong something, with the map module in LR 5.7.

If I tried to add some info, for example Sublocation info into a several photos in one shot that I previously auto geotagged by LR I lost all location info (City, State, Country) but not GPS coordinates.

If I add the same infos into the photos one by one I have not this problems....

It also appened if I tried to modify/correct an auto-filled geodata info (for example the City info), I lost all other auto-filled info!!!

Is it a bug or there is a way to add/modify geodata infos without lose all other geadata?

Thank you

Roberto 

• 1. Re: Add location info after geotagging photos
          Karsten Wind Level 1

When you geotag a photo either by having your camera imbed the gps coordinates or by using the map module in Lightroom then you can let Lightroom provide suggestions to Country, State, City and Sublimation. As soon as you start to overwrite one or several of these suggestions then the remainder of these suggestions will all be removed by Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Add location info after geotagging photos
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
            Is it a bug or there is a way to add/modify geodata infos without lose all other geadata?

It's working as designed, but many, many people have complained about how bad the design is; please add your vote and opinion to this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum:

Lightroom: improve control over reverse-geocoded Location metadata

As a clumsy workaround, you can first “commit” the italicized location fields by clicking on their label (e.g. click on “Country”). This records them permanently in the metadata, and you can then edit them without fear of them disappearing on you. 

Many people don't even bother to use LR's geoencoding tools and instead use third-party tools such as Geosetter or the Geoencoding Support plugin.