7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 2:18 PM by photo-enthusiast

How to move photos to the corresponding folder after changing aperture date/time of the photo?

felzi276

Hi,

I've imported some (old) scanned photos into LR5 (v5.6). The photos got the current date/time because there is no EXIF data available, so LR5 imported them to the folder 2014-12.

After import I've change the aperture date/time (Metadata menu) and renamed the photos (Library -> Rename photos: userdefined name + aperture date/time). From that perspective everything is well.

But the photos are still in the folder 2014-12. How can I bring LR5 to move them to the folder corresponding to the new aperture date/time (e.g. 2000-01)?

Any help welcome.

Thomas

• 1. Re: How to move photos to the corresponding folder after changing aperture date/time of the photo?
          Lr5user-pt Level 2

LR will not move files around on its own, you have to do it yourself, by dragging them to the destination folder you want (on the left panel of library module).

• 2. Re: How to move photos to the corresponding folder after changing aperture date/time of the photo?
            photo-enthusiast Level 1

felzi276 wrote:

But the photos are still in the folder 2014-12. How can I bring LR5 to move them to the folder corresponding to the new aperture date/time (e.g. 2000-01)?

Thomas

Thomas,

If what Lr5user-pt says is correct, there's another way to do this, provided you don't mind going through an import again.

1) In Aperture reorganize your images using the "file" "relocate originals" command and selecting a preset or custom subfolder format.  If moving images to a different drive, make sure you have room on the destination.

2) Once relocated, rerun the import into Lightroom.

3) If you originally had any "managed" images, your selection of import options will differ.

4) Might be easier to keep the images in place as you import.

• 3. Re: How to move photos to the corresponding folder after changing aperture date/time of the photo?
              felzi276 Level 1

photo-enthusiast schrieb:

If what Lr5user-pt says is correct, there's another way to do this, provided you don't mind going through an import again.

1) In Aperture reorganize your images using the "file" "relocate originals" command and selecting a preset or custom subfolder format.  If moving images to a different drive, make sure you have room on the destination.

2) Once relocated, rerun the import into Lightroom.

3) If you originally had any "managed" images, your selection of import options will differ.

4) Might be easier to keep the images in place as you import.

Even though I have the German LR5, there is no function "relocate originals" in File menu. Was it only a misspelling, that you wrote "Aperture"?

I just created the necessary folders within LR and moved the files from the library view to the folder.

• 4. Re: How to move photos to the corresponding folder after changing aperture date/time of the photo?
                dj_paige Level 9

Re-importing photos is an inefficient workflow, and bad practice. Moving the photos within Lightroom is the way to go.

• 5. Re: How to move photos to the corresponding folder after changing aperture date/time of the photo?
                  photo-enthusiast Level 1

dj_paige wrote:

Re-importing photos is an inefficient workflow, and bad practice. Moving the photos within Lightroom is the way to go.

I absolutely agree that reimporting photos is a bad practice.  But this is not what I suggested.

And unfortunately, manually moving files around in light room will not accomplish the Thomas' objective as easily as what Aperture can-do automatically.  Which is:

1) Discarding all work that has been done in Lightroom, 2) relocating originals in the original Aperture if it still exists, and 3) performing the one-way migration from Aperture to Lightroom a second time.

Thomas, I only suggest this procedure if all of the following are true:

1) you have dozens or hundreds of Aperture projects you want organized by date in Lightroom

2) you still have a solid backup of your aperture library

3) you are at liberty to discard all work done in Lightroom so far

if you cannot answer yes to all three questions, then my recommendation is not for you.  You will need to resort to manually moving the files as otherwise suggested. 

Here's the aperture documentation on how to relocate originals in the aperture library to a reference external location.  Look for "Relocating Referenced Masters".

Aperture 3 User Manual

The process of relocating masters is done on an image by image basis, so all images must be selected. It's this process that does the organizational heavy lifting for you.

• 6. Re: How to move photos to the corresponding folder after changing aperture date/time of the photo?
                    felzi276 Level 1

photo-enthusiast schrieb:

dj_paige wrote:

I absolutely agree that reimporting photos is a bad practice.  But this is not what I suggested.

And unfortunately, manually moving files around in light room will not accomplish the Thomas' objective as easily as what Aperture can-do automatically.  Which is:

1) Discarding all work that has been done in Lightroom, 2) relocating originals in the original Aperture if it still exists, and 3) performing the one-way migration from Aperture to Lightroom a second time.

Thomas, I only suggest this procedure if all of the following are true:

1) you have dozens or hundreds of Aperture projects you want organized by date in Lightroom

2) you still have a solid backup of your aperture library

3) you are at liberty to discard all work done in Lightroom so far

if you cannot answer yes to all three questions, then my recommendation is not for you.  You will need to resort to manually moving the files as otherwise suggested.

Here's the aperture documentation on how to relocate originals in the aperture library to a reference external location.  Look for "Relocating Referenced Masters".

Aperture 3 User Manual

The process of relocating masters is done on an image by image basis, so all images must be selected. It's this process that does the organizational heavy lifting for you.

My question had nothing to do with Aperture. It was just a LR question.