10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 7:43 AM by nselse

Export PDF inverts placed image

nselse

Whenever I export my file to PDF one of the placed images (tiff) is always inverted from white to black. I tried making the image black to see if it would invert to white but it still came out as black. Any ideas how to resolve this?

• 1. Re: Export PDF inverts placed image
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Always the same questions, please start your question with enough information:

1. Which OS?
          2. With which program and version are you exporting the PDF?
          3. What kind is the placed TIFF? RGB, CMYK, Grey, …?
          4. Does the TIFF have layers?
          5. What are the settings, when you export the PDF?
          6. Whitch viewer to you use to open the PDF? Acrobat? Reader? Or something else?

If someone don't want to guess what is going on he needs this information. (And often by answering those questions, the problem source becomes vey clear by the TE himself (or herself).

• 2. Re: Export PDF inverts placed image
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Typical of an InDesign PDF viewed in Apple Preview. Use Acrobat or Reader.

• 3. Re: Export PDF inverts placed image
              nselse Level 1

Here is some more specific information:

InDesign: CC ver. 10.1.0.71

TIFF (Photoshop CC): 8-bit grayscale, 2 layers, transparent background, 300dpi

PDF Export: HQ  print, standard=none, compatibility=Acrobat 5, options=(all unchecked), export=all

Viewing in Preview, Acrobat Pro X, Reader, Quickview (spacebar preview)

Exporting the pages individually as jpegs works fine but I need to generate one PDF.

• 4. Re: Export PDF inverts placed image

Use only Adobe Reader or Acrobat for viewing PDFs as Preview is not a reliable PDF viewer.

Do you get the same result in Acrobat and in Preview?

Your OS version does not exist so. 10.7. is not Maverick, it is Lion. Maverick is 10.9.

You are a CC subscriber, why are you using the older Acrobat Pro X, instead XI?

How is the image used in InDesign? With some kind of transparency?

You did not inform us on your PDF export settings.

Does the same happen, when you place a PSD or PDF instead of a TIFF in InDesign?

• 5. Re: Export PDF inverts placed image
                  nselse Level 1

I get the same result in Acrobat.

Sorry, yes this machine is Lion so maybe an update to 10.9 is in order.

Acrobat X is plenty trustworthy so that is not a big priority for me. My focus is on getting InDesign CC into my workflow successfully right now and I will get to Acrobat XI and the rest soon enough.

The image works great inside InDesign itself. It is placed over a black box and looks fantastic.

PDF Export: HQ  print, standard=none, compatibility=Acrobat 5, options=(all unchecked), export=all

The rest of the export PDF settings are default

Here is the InDesign version

InDesign version.png

Here is the exported PDF of the same page

Exported PDF.png

• 6. Re: Export PDF inverts placed image

How does it look, when you turn on the Overprint Preview in InDesign?

What is your transparency color blending space?

And still one important question left open: Did you apply any transparency to the image?

• 7. Re: Export PDF inverts placed image
                      nselse Level 1

It looks the same in overprint preview.

The blending space is CMYX b/c this is a print job.

There is no transparency applied in InDesign.

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Willi Adelberger <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: Export PDF inverts placed image
                        nselse Level 1

I have rebuilt the document using InDesign CS6 and it works great so I am

going to stick with that for now and maybe sign on for CC at a later date

(using it in trial mode now).

I appreciate the assistance.

• 9. Re: Export PDF inverts placed image
                          Danny Whitehead. Level 4

It looks the same in overprint preview.

The same as it does in Acrobat, or the same as it does in ID without Overprint Preview on?

Have you made the image white by applying the '[Paper]' swatch as the fill, or did you use another swatch? Because it looks to me like a spot colour with 'Overprint Fill' switched on. InDesign won't let you overprint  the '[Paper]' swatch (did you hear that, Illustrator team?!).

• 10. Re: Export PDF inverts placed image
                            nselse Level 1

Right, sorry... it looks the same as it does without Overprint preview on

(in InDesign).

I did not want to mark the question as answered though I have found a

solution by using version CS6 and it worked great.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Danny Whitehead. <forums_noreply@adobe.com>