14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 2:05 PM by A.T. Romano

Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13

HSThompson Level 1

As the title states, whenever I publish and share a video in Premiere Elements 13, the video quality is drastically reduced to an almost unwatchable level compared to the original video  This is even the case before any effects are added to the video.  If I add the media to the timeline and then directly publish+share before any changes are done, the video quality is still ruined.  When I click play full screen in elements, the quality and resolution is exactly where I want it, but once again, when I share the video, it's essentially destroyed.

When I play the newly created video there is giant black space above, below and to the sides of the video (where there is none in the original) and movement in the movie causes the video to grain with black lines.

I have been playing around with settings and researching online for a long time now but I can't seem to find the solution.  What I have been doing is going publish+share, ---> Computer, ---> AVI.  Then in advanced settings the video codec is selected to DV NTSC, and the basic video settings which are locked in (which I can't change) are set to quality 100, width 720, height 480.  The Aspect is D1/DV NTSC (0.9091).  I have selected render at maximum depth.  I have also tried saving it as MPEG and other video types but the result is the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I understand that I am new and have lots to learn, but it seams so strange to me that the simple process of putting a video in Elements would essentially destroy it.  Thanks again.

• 1. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

HSThompson

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

What are the properties of your source media (brand/model/settings of camera that recorded the source media, if you do not know).

I am looking for video and audio compressions, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, and pixel aspect ratio.

If these are HD sources going to a HD export, then you are not understanding and setting your export settings correctly.

What is your intended export for your Timeline content?

And, what are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source media?

With the answers to the above, I will customize a workflow to get you the end product that you seek.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
            HSThompson Level 1

A.T. Romano,

Thanks for responding.

I am running Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7 32 bit.

I am unsure of the recording settings on my camera.  It is a cheap 808 mini Key Chain camera used on things like bottle rockets and RC cars.  It is not HD, but still clear video.  There are many different versions of the camera with no way to tell what model I have so I cannot get specifics on how it was recorded.

The file extension is Avi.  Image size is 780X480.  Frame rate is 30.  The pixel Aspect ratio is 0.9091.  There is no audio on the file and is unimportant to me.

I want to say the video is interlaced as the outputted (horrible quality video from elements) shows clear signs of it.  However when I view the original I can see the lines so I cannot say for sure.

My project settings are as follows:

Editing Mode: HD 1080i (locked in as I can't change it)

Timebase: 29.97 frames/second (locked in)

Frame Size: 1920 Horizontal 1080 Vertical

Pixel Aspect ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)  (Locked in)

Fields: Upper fields first (locked in)

Display Format: (30 FPS Drop-frame timecode)

Title Safe Area: 20% horizontal 20% vertical

Action Safe area 10% Horizontal 10 % vertical

Video Render is set to maximum bit depth

My intended and ideal export for this project is as an AVI for viewing on the computer and potential future editing in premiere which I intend to burn as a DVD long down the road, but not now.

Thanks for your assistance.

• 3. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

HSThompson

Thanks for the information. I really would like to know more about the source .avi, but let us see if you can resolve your issue without that information. But just going on that it imports.....

Open Premiere Elements 13 to the Expert workspace.

Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In the Change Settings area, select the Project Preset = NTSC DV Standard.

After you click OK to Change Settings, you will see the new project dialog with your selected project preset named.

In that new project dialog, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on this Project". Click OK to get out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to bring your .avi into the project and the Timeline.

Do you see an orange line over its Timeline content? You should not. But, if you do, press the Render button above the TImeline to get the best

possible of preview of what you are seeing in the Edit area monitor.

For your export...

Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Standard for DV.AVI

or

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Standard for MPEG2.mpg

or

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 NTSC DV Standard for AVCHD.mp4

Use the default for the preset for now.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

Add On...Sure there isn't a brand name for that

• 4. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                HSThompson Level 1

Thanks for all your help, the video is almost the same as the original and from your replies I was able to google and investigate other concepts which have helped me greatly.  However, with all solutions comes more questions and I was hoping I could pick your brain with a few more.

While the video is near the same as the original now, I have noticed that the file size is about 5 times as large with no changes made.  What files types/codecs would be the best to save it as, in order to best edit in premiere, and along those same lines, will I be able to save the video as a smaller file later without sacrificing quality. My ultimate goal, after editing multiple smaller files, is to string many of these videos together and burn it onto a DVD.  As it stands the 2 minute video I published+shared in the above answer was 700Mb and I will have close to 2 hours of footage.  While the size of all the original footage would easily fit on a DVD, all of it converted in this fashion would not.

Another question about the solution you provided above is what will happen when I try to make a move in Premiere Elements 13 from multiple video sources.  I also have footage from a Sony Camcorder in addition to the small camera I used for the video above.  The video from the Sony Camcorder obviously has different resolution and properties from the other video source.  Will I be able to create a single quality film by including both of these video sources, or will one video no matter what loose a significant amount of quality by being placed along side the other in the same Premiere Elements project?

I know I am going off tangent from the original question, but you have been such a great help so far.

• 5. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                  Mary Lou Frost Level 1

I found this exchange when I searched for how to increase the quality of my exported video.  (I have been communicating with you in a different string.)

When I export my video project as either mpeg or Quicktime, I, too lose quality.  I want to play the short videos via my Mac laptop and a Canon projector.  They will be inserted in a longer slideshow a friend is presenting.

I had planned to have the videos appear in the right spot of the slideshow as seen via Bridge.  When the movie appears it was my plan to have the presenter doubleclick on it and it would open in Quicktime.  When finished he would return to Bridge to continue the slideshow.

The video clips that I have shared as Quicktime movies have lost some sharpness.

Is it possible to view them in Premiere but in fullscreen?

What is the best way to maintain quality?  I'm not worried about burning to a DVD at present...just showing them to an audience.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Mary Lou

• 6. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                    Mary Lou Frost Level 1

Whoops, it wasn't you Is was communicating with but perhaps you can help.

Mary Lou

• 7. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                      Mary Lou Frost Level 1

I clicked the reply to the wrong section.  You are the expert who has been helping me.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mary Lou

• 8. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mary Lou Frost

I am assuming that you are addressing your post 5 question to me.

If you import a video with given properties, say 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second with the right DSLR project preset

and

If you export the Timeline with an export setting described for 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

Specific video compression and bitrate used in the export settings are major factors on the quality of the end product.

You can control video compression by your choice under Share/Computer....AVCHD and its AVCHD.mp4 versus QuickTime and its H.264.mov.

Under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of each of these choices, you can customize the export settings, such as for Bitrate...higher the

Bitrate, greater the quality, but the larger is the file size. So, you go for a compromise for your purposes between bitrate level, quality, and

file size.

Just in case mention, be careful you do not fall into the trap of using default settings for a preset in the Share area. It might not be appropriate

for what you want to do. Example of what I mean...you have a 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second and you have project settings

to match. Great. But, when you go to export, a particular choice might have defaults of 720 x 480 not 1920 x 1080. That does not necessarily mean that you

cannot use that route, but rather you need to customize the export settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset so that you are

exporting to a 1920 x 1080 and not 720 x 480 file.

Please let me know if the above considerations are targeting the information that you seek.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                          Mary Lou Frost Level 1

That is certainly my problem.  I was choosing the Quicktime movie for export and it was a lower resolution output.

I'll take the same Premiere video and in share, I'll choose other options and see if it works.

The file size is unimportant to me for this project.  The quality is.

Thanks.

Mary Lou

• 10. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                            Mary Lou Frost Level 1

A question.  Which formats will run on a Mac?  When I tried some of the formats you suggested, they won't open and run on a Mac.

What I want is the highest quality that will run on a Mac.

If you can be explicit on the share choices, that would help

Mary Lou

• 11. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

HSTompson

It was not until Mary Lou Frost posted in your thread today that I realized that I did not see and reply to your questions in post 4 of your thread (dated December 15, 2014). Sorry about that.

If you want to match up the properties of the export file with the properties of the Timeline source media, often you need to direct your attention to

a. Publish+Share/Computer/......and trying to match up the video (especially) and audio compressions of the import with those of the export choice.

b. A frequent cause of a difference between import file size and export file size is the bitrate used by these files. The higher the bitrate, the greater the quality, but

the larger is the file size. So, trying to match import file and export file bitrates is also on the agenda. See the preset's Advanced Button/Video Tab and the settings

there for bitrate. The units for bitrate will be either kbps kilobits per second (also seen as Kbps) or Mbps megabits per second. We can go into that further if necessary.

Premiere Elements allows for the setting of one project preset which should match the properties of the source files. If you have "mixed source files", setting up the

project can become a challenge. The rule of thumb that I typically use involves setting priorities...

1. If videos and stills, I will set for the properties of the video and then size (or let the project size) the still to the frame size of the video

2. If just stills, I try for 1920 x 1080 stills and import them using a DLSR 1080p project preset...that seems to give sharper end product results when doing burn to disc.

Please review and consider and let me know if I have targeted your questions. Any questions please do not hesitate to ask. I try to respond daily to questions, so, if you do not see a timely, response, please send me an Adobe Forum private message asking me "What happened to you?".

Best wishes.

ATR

• 12. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mary Lou Frost

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but from what I have read and know of Premiere Elements Mac, your preferred choices should be

H.264.mov or AVCHD.mp4.

H.264.mov

See Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, set preset and then customize the preset under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of that preset.

AVCHD.mp4

See Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD, set the preset to the MP4 H.264 presents that best matches your project settings and project goals.

But each of those depend on you having the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer. And, each of those programs seems to require

being used by an Administrator of the computer.

ATR

• 13. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                                  Mary Lou Frost Level 1

I figured out this solution which seems to work well.  It does make a huge file but that is not a problem for me.

I did a "Share" to Quicktime movie and clicked advanced.  I raised the resolution to 1440 in width and that gave me a high quality movie that runs in Quicktime on my mac.

I then created a preset for this and am redoing the other videos.

I'll get back to you when I am done.

Mary Lou

• 14. Re: Publish+Share signifcantly reduces video quality in Premiere Elements 13
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mary Lou Frost

We will be watching for your results.

I will offer this comment for further exploration by you.

If you have 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, the 16:9 flag will stretch that 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

If you have 1920 x 1080 16:9, it is 16:9 already, no stretching....display is 1920 x 1080.

So, either way the display will be 1920 x 1080.

However...

Even if your source is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, it is to your advantage to use one of the 1920 x 1080, not 1440 x 1080, export settings to avoid

the 16:9 flag with which some players might have problems.(You would still use the 1440 x 1080 for the project preset however on the project import side of things.)

ATR