6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 8:03 AM by BobLevine

Interactive PDF problem, audio and standard poster disappear once uploaded to server

rsbisa Level 1

Experts,

I am working my way through the learning curve of iD CC and interactive PDFs. I have created a simple PDF for testing, upon which I have placed a media file (audio), and assigned the standard poster. I export to Interactive PDF. The document opens upon after completion. Locally, I see my audio poster, click it, and everything works beautifully. I then upload both the PDF and the audio (MP3; which is in the same folder) to my server. I then open the PDF from a [any] browser. It opens correctly, except my audio poster icon is gone and no audio, of course. My reader is Acrobat Reader X. (10.1.13).

I also uploaded a sample interactive PDF that I downloaded from Adobe Creative Cloud tutorials. Once again, works locally, not online.

I also tried playing the audio upon page open. Works locally, not online.

Once again, note that I did upload the actual MP3 in the same folder as the PDF.

Clearly I am missing a step or not understanding the entire process.  Seems that there must be a way to make this work. Otherwise, what would be the point of having the media features in inDesign if only viewable on the developer's local machine?

You can view my document here. http://www.examplebox.com/customer/benefits/eicn_benefits_epub.pdf

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Interactive PDF problem, audio and standard poster disappear once uploaded to server
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you're using the inbuilt PDF.JS renderer that many web browsers have decided to bundle, then none of the rich media or scripting features in ISO32000 will work. Even if you install Adobe Reader, it doesn't automatically become the default handler - you have to reconfigure the browser and disable their 'preferred' solution.

Unfortunately there's no sign that the PDF.JS engine will ever support all of ISO32000, nor is there any way at the HTTP request level to detect if a user has the Adobe Reader or Acrobat plugin. You just have to hope they can figure it out for themselves.

• 2. Re: Interactive PDF problem, audio and standard poster disappear once uploaded to server
            rsbisa Level 1

Dave, thank you for your response. I did test this by opening my document locally with browser(s) instead of local Reader. Like you said: no joy.

That's really troubling! Why all the fuss and features in iD CC about interactive PDF features? Why even have an embed media feature? Why all the tutorials on how to use these features? Where and when are these features even usable - or have any value, whatsoever - if embedded media is only viewable on the developer's machine? Or, if one must deliver to all end users the entire, heavy kit (PDF and media) so that they can open on their own machine with Reader?

It's just logical that there must be some practical way to use all this stuff that doesn't include tedious education and process for each lay-viewer. Is EPUB the solution?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Interactive PDF problem, audio and standard poster disappear once uploaded to server
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

FXL EPUB from InDesign CC2014.1 certainly is a consideration.

I wrote this up a couple of weeks ago: http://boblevine.us/why-im-finally-excited-about-epub/

• 4. Re: Interactive PDF problem, audio and standard poster disappear once uploaded to server
                Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

rsbisa wrote:

Why all the fuss and features in iD CC about interactive PDF features?

InDesign has interactive features so it can make EPUB files for DPS - that's the route Adobe has decided on at a corporate level. PDFs are 'documents' and don't contain anything exciting. Apps and EPUBs are 'publications' where all the videos and animations live. The fact ID can also export some of those elements to PDF is now pretty much a side effect.

Rich media in PDF files, and advanced PDF interactivity in general, was a fun concept for a world in which everyone used Adobe Reader on a desktop PC. That world has gone, and Adobe has moved on.

• 5. Re: Interactive PDF problem, audio and standard poster disappear once uploaded to server
                  rsbisa Level 1

Thanks, Bob!

I read your article. I then exported one of the samples I downloaded from Adobe and sent it to a server, emailed it to myself to test the experience. I was able to open the doc on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad, and the media worked exactly as intended! However, not so much fun with Windows 8 or current Vista update. I guess these platforms don't ship with an ePUB reader. Too bad.

My business purpose is to create an interactive, media rich publication that explains to the employees of a business certain aspects of their compensation package. The range of tech-skills of the intended recipient would be zero to, say, 6. If it is necessary that the (presumably mostly) PC viewers have to first download and install an add-on application, well, then the audience is lost before starting.

I guess this is a yet emerging process where the mass end-usability must catch up with the idea. Ugh.

Thank you again for your thoughtful input.

• 6. Re: Interactive PDF problem, audio and standard poster disappear once uploaded to server
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Right now the best reader for these is iBooks. You can try Adobe Digital Editions on Windows or Readium for Google Chrome.