4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 1:49 PM by wk59

HD video files blow up in size upon publishing in PrE 13. How to avoid?

wk59

Hello everyone, I'm using the Dutch version of PrE 13. So, some menu/button names will be dutch. I trust you'll spot what they would look like in the english edition.

I built a small project around .MTS video files, downloaded from a camcorder. AVCHD video, 1920x1080i, 25 fps, around 17000 kbps.

I did some simple editing: changing the entry and exit points in clips to remove bad footage. This left 1 min 52 sec of video that I wanted to publish to Computer. Selecting MPEG, there are two options that produce MPEG2 files: "MPEG2, 1920x1080i 25", needing 344 MB(!) and "Hoge kwaliteit, HDTV 1080i 25", needing 210 MB. Both MPEG2 files do not play in Windows Media Player, producing only sound (both video and audio were checked when publishing). What's wrong?

To be honest, I had expected that PrE would suggest me to produce MPEG4 files with a H264 codec. Under AVCHD, there is the option "MP4 - H264 1920x1080p 25 (p, not i). It uses "Bestandstype" H.264 and will produce a file of 439 MB(!). The size does not change when I select the settings to be the same as those of the imported video under the "Geavanceerd ..." button. I find it stunning that 1m52 takes so many MB. The orginal format needed about 100 MB/min of video. Is the codec suboptimal?

If this continues, it will be impossible to create a DVD or Blue-ray disk that holds an acceptable length of video.

I'm looking forward for advice. Thanks in advance.

Wouter

• 1. Re: HD video files blow up in size upon publishing in PrE 13. How to avoid?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

wk59

Your particular source's

bitrate can be expressed

17000 kbps (kilobits per second)

16.6 Mbps (megabits per second)

2.1 MBps (megabytes per second)

If you want to switch the time factor from seconds to minutes for your 1 minute and 52 seconds (112 seconds) clip with that bitrate, you could estimate a file size with that AVCHD compression as 126 MB.

If you take that 1 minute and 52 seconds Timeline to export as a file

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = MPEG2 1920 x 1080i25

you are working with a compression other than AVCHD and the default bitrates are higher for the Bitrate Settings (Minimum 18 Mbps, Target 25 Mbps, and Maximum 30 Mbps). Have you attempted to bring the default bitrate into line with the original footage's bitrate?

If you take that 1 minute and 52 seconds Timeline to export as a file

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = HD TV 1080i25

you are working with a compression other than AVCHD and the default bitrates are lower than those for MPEG2 1920 x 1080i25 (Minimum 4 Mbps, Target 15 Mbps, and Maximum 18.5 Mbps. These settings might be expected to give you a file size closer to the source even before you customize the bitrate.

But, I do not see anything extraordinary about this situation - given a source bitrate which is exported using the bitrate of the export settings. Are you adjusting the bitrate export settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab? Are you taking into consideration your video compression choice as well as your bitrate settings?

When you are using Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG, your video compression is going to be MPEG2 (with m2t or mpg file extension). If you are looking for H.264 video compression, that can be found under Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime as H.264.mov. Also, look at Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD for H.264.mp4 as well as H.264.m2t. But, check out the bitrates under the Advanced Button of the preset. You do not have to use the Adobe defaults, but rather find your own compromise between bitrate, quality, and file size under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset.

Playback of the MPEG2.m2t and MPEG2.mpg will be addressed in the next post.

ATR

• 2. Re: HD video files blow up in size upon publishing in PrE 13. How to avoid?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

wk59

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running?

I find no problem playing back the Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG's MPEG2.m2t or the MPEG.mpg in Windows Media Player 12.

Please take each of these files and run them through the codec utility named GSpot

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

And then tell us what you see for each for

Video Codec Name Status

as well as

Audio Name and Status

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: HD video files blow up in size upon publishing in PrE 13. How to avoid?
              wk59 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, the bitrate has a large impact on the file size. For my case (112 sec), the file size in MB is approximately 22 times the bitrate in Mbps. I assume that the factor 22 will be smaller (larger) for shorter (longer) length of produced video.

I wasn't aware that the bitrate was NOT automatically adjusted to the source files. I will select a lower bitrate to reduce the size of the output file. Trust that will work.

I'll reply to your other comment about the MPEG2 playback.

Regards, Wouter

• 4. Re: HD video files blow up in size upon publishing in PrE 13. How to avoid?
                wk59 Level 1

I'm running PrE 13 on a Windows 8.1 machine, 64-bits.

Windows Media Player version 12.0.9600.16384.

I ran the GSpot package on the following files. The order is that of the screenshots. I double-checked that both Video and Audio were selected.

1) Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG/MPEG2 1920x1080i 25, filename Naamloos.m2t (does not play in WMP)

2) Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG/Hoge kwaliteit, HDTV 1080p 25, filename Naamloos_HDTV.mpg (does not play in WMP)

3) Publish+Share/Computer/ACVHD/M2T - H.264 1920x1080i 25 (plays correctly, no screenshot)

Regards,

Wouter

Screenshot MPEG2 conversion.JPG

Screenshot MPEG2 - HDTV conversion.JPG