9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 11:55 AM by A.T. Romano

Circular frame

adobenewbie123 Level 1

I am working in a 1920 x 1080 project in premiere elements 10. Curious if there is a way to cut out a circle so a clip  plays in a circular frame.(with black screen outside of the circle)  Obviously this would cut out a portion of the picture which I am fine with for trying this idea.

• 1. Re: Circular frame
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know about circular, but search the help file for Picture in Picture... aka PIP

• 2. Re: Circular frame
            A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

The use of the Titler for your stated purposes should work nicely. I see no rationale behind getting PiPs involved in this.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Titler Shapes For Highlighting

You probably could achieve the effect that you seek with Track Matte keying, but check out creating the circle (frame) in the Titler

and then using the circles created there as your frame into which to fit your image. Do you need a how to on that?

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 3. Re: Circular frame
              adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Can you first verify if i am going down the right path?  I went into the titler and chose the ellipse tool, allowing me to draw a circle of any size within the frame. However the initial result is the opposite of what i am looking for.  It basically covers up the video clip with a circle in the center of my frame  and I can only view the actual video clip in the area surrounding the circle. The effect I am looking for is having the video to be seen inside the  circle, and the areas outside the circle would be cropped out and just look black. 

• 4. Re: Circular frame
                A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Referring to Premiere Elements 10....

You skipped essential steps. After you create the circular shape (solid) in the Titler, you go to Text Styles and apply one of the Styles that I mentioned in the blog

post or apply the Style named Kozuka Lean Green 28 for this explanation.

After you apply the Text Style, go to the Color Picker in the Titler tools. In the Color Picker, you set Gradients = Elimination. Uncheck Drop Shadow.

Should look like

Adobe.JPG

Please give this another try.

ATR

• 5. Re: Circular frame
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

How are you doing with your second look at creating your circle in the Premiere Elements 10 Titler?

By this time, you should have the circle created with the space inside the circle for your movie.

Now the rest of the story.

Your circle title on Video Track 2

Your video on Video Track 1

But, no matter what you do, you will see the landscape picture exceeding the circle frame. So....

Go to Edit header, Effects/Video Effects/Keying and select one of the Garbage Mattes to drag into

the video on Video Track 1. (Maybe start with the Sixteen-Point Garbage Matte.

Garbage Matte principle....Everything within the points of the Garbage Matte is visible, anything outside the Garbage Matte is not.

Highlight/select video on Video Track 1 and take the points of the Garbage Matte and use them to define the video as a circle.

GarbageMatte.JPG

Tips...

In order to see those points on screen to move there into place, in Properties for the video, have the Sixteen-Point

Garbage Matte Panel selected (see black highlight of panel).

To make sure that you have the right track selected (video on Video Track 1), right click the monitor, select Select, and

then make sure you have selected the name of the video on Video Track 1.

ATR

• 6. Re: Circular frame
                    adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey ATR,

It worked!!  I just needed the second half of your instructions to finish the job.  With a 16 point garbage matte, you can ultimately crop the frame into the exact circle that is needed .

Just one final question.  I followed your instructions verbatim and I'm left with thee green outline around the circle.  Is there any way I can make that invisible so I have a circle without the green frame?

• 7. Re: Circular frame
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Great news.

If you just want an image appearing as a circular shape rather than landscape, then I would suggest a Track Matte approach rather than the circular frame around an image that is made to fit into the frame's inner area.

Video 3 - Track Matte, circle created in the Titler

Video 2 - Your video, to which you have applied Edit header/Effects/Video Effects/Keying/Track Matte, designating Video 3 for Matte.

Video 1 - Whatever background you may want outside the circular image.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Circular frame
                        adobenewbie123 Level 1

This worked like a charm!  Basically I have an open jar that I zoomed in on from the top and wanted the footage to play so you are viewing it through the circular opening.  That is why I did not want it framed.

Thanks so much!!

• 9. Re: Circular frame
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Glad that worked for your project. That "This worked like a charm!" was wonderful news.

There are all sorts of Premiere Elements features one can put together to get interesting and creative effects like those you sought.

Best wishes

ATR