12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 8:36 AM by robgendreau

Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.

archontic Level 1

I am using LR 5.7 on a Mac OS 10.10.1 with a Time Machine backup - the vast majority of my photos were taken on an iPhone 5 in the year 2014 and are in a folder on my computer internal hard drive.

The structure is my Folders > Macintosh HD which has a folder inside called

Pictures Users/myname with 1719 photos in it -

when I click on this folder the following folders open up:

> folder dated 1904(?) with 2 items

> folder dated 2012 with 1 item

> folder dated 2013 with 1 item

> folder dated 2014 with 1352 items...

.... and so on until

>Exported Original Photos 365 (which are exports of photos from iPhoto that I wanted to catalog and develop in LR)

The Maths are correct. But as for the tags:

when I open the folder Pictures Users/myname containing 1719 photos and view them as thumbnails I see all the keywording applied to my collection of photos

BUT when I open the folder Pictures - Users/myname and then folder 2014, I see a list:

folder 2014 with 199 items

folder 2014-01-20 with 1 item

folder 2014-01-21 with 5 items

etc

All well and good.

BUT if I open these dated folders with small numbers of images in them (never more than 50 per day), view the images in a grid and click on a photo, there are no keyboard tags to be seen in the information panel. They only time I see any keyword tags that I have entered is when I open Macintosh HD > Pictures - Users/myname which contains my entire library of photos taken in 2014 and those added to the catalog from iPhoto.

Should I see tags for the photos in the individually dated folders e.g. Macintosh HD > Pictures - Users/myname > 2014 > 2014-01-20 and so on day by day ?

I have been tagging my photos with keywords after my weekly import. And have been doing this after viewing each photo from the grid view of photos displayed by clicking on  Macintosh HD >Pictures - Users/myname.

Have I made an error?

I want to tag my collection of photos by the correct method before it grows in size.

Many thanks

David (Brighton, UK)

• 1. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
          dj_paige Level 9

Please clarify something

When you are looking for keywords, are you looking in your operating system, or are you looking in Lightroom?

• 2. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
            archontic Level 1

When I view a grid of photos in LR there is a right hand side column with the Histogram, Quick Develop, Keywording, Metadata and Comments sections.

I have been entering keyword tags in the Keywording box. If I look at my entire library of photos in a grid of images then the keywords appear in this box when I click on a small representation of a larger photo.

Otherwise, I have the problem of missing keywords as described above.

Many thanks for your help,

David (Brighton, UK)

• 3. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
              dj_paige Level 9

So the same picture shows proper keywords when you click on the folder Macintosh HD > Pictures - Users/myname but not when you look at that photo after clicking on the folder Macintosh HD > Pictures - Users/myname > 2014 > 2014-01-20?

There is a dropdown menu in the Keywording Panel. What is it set to when you don't see any keywords? Is it set the same way when you switch folders?

If the answer is YES, the dropdown menu is set the same way, then this sure sounds like a bug, but you might want to try restarting the computer and see if it goes away, and if that doesn't work, close Lightroom and try deleting your preference file: Preference and other file locations in Lightroom 5

• 4. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
                robgendreau Level 3

In LR in the right sidebar where it says Folders, if you mouse down on the "+" sign and select "show photos in subfolders" to check it on, what happens? Do you see ALL your photos in Macintosh HD > Pictures - Users/myname? without duplicates?

And if you keyword the photo in Macintosh HD/Pictures - Users/myname/folder 2014-01-20 with 1 item does that keyword stick?

• 5. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
                  archontic Level 1

Hi,

I moused down on the "+" sign where it says Folders and "show photos in subfolders" was shown as already being "on".

I followed your suggestion:  I tried to keyword the photo in Macintosh HD/Pictures - Users/myname/folder 2014-01-20 with 1 item however it did not permit me to type in a keyword in the keyboarding section panel on the left hand side, so I was unable to check if it stuck.

I don't know whether this is important or not, but the list of folders, subfolders etc have slightly different arrow heads:

If I drop down the Macintosh HD location there is a SOLID, grey downward pointing arrow to the left hand side of the folder Pictures - Users/myname/..

However, if you drop down folders from Macintosh HD > Pictures - Users/myname/.. to show inner folders:

Macintosh HD> Pictures - Users/myname/... > folders dated 2014-01-20 etc., then there is a horizontal triangle that is made up of grey dots rather than a solid triangle for every dated folder - is this as expected?

• 6. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
                    archontic Level 1

YOU ASK: "So the same picture shows proper keywords when you click on the folder Macintosh HD > Pictures - Users/myname but not when you look at that photo after clicking on the folder Macintosh HD > Pictures - Users/myname > 2014 > 2014-01-20?" - that is correct

YOU ASK: " There is a dropdown menu in the Keywording Panel. What is it set to when you don't see any keywords? Is it set the same way when you switch folders?" It is set to "keywords and containing keywords" in each case.

I quit LR, restarted my computer, reopened LR and the missing keyword issue remains.

I have never deleted a LR preference file before and I understand the correct file to be deleted is located at:

file:///Users/myname/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist. Is that correct?

I don't know the possible consequences of deleting this file. I wouldn't cause my LR catalog to be deleted or anything else similar that is important to me?

Does the issue i am experiencing sound like a bug in LR and if it does then what next?

Many thanks for your time

David (Brighton, UK)

• 7. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
                      archontic Level 1

hi,

I have just discovered that there is a toolbar option under the Photo drop down menu accessed from the toolbar that allows me to add keywords and I found that they stick to the photos inside these individually dated folders. I can't face the task of having to add all the keywords to photos in subfolders for every date again. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for your time,

David (Brighton, UK)

• 8. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
                        robgendreau Level 3

Try making use of showing ALL the photos at once, i.e. all photos in all subfolders.

If you then sort by capture time, many taken at the same spot will show together, and it is more likely they will have common keywords. Use the keyword list and multiple selection of photos to add them; you click next to a keyword and it gets added to that photo.

keywords.png

• 9. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
                          dj_paige Level 9
                          I don't know the possible consequences of deleting this file. I wouldn't cause my LR catalog to be deleted or anything else similar that is important to me?

Perhaps you think we are giving you destructive advice, which will screw up everything? If so, why are you here?

That's not the case. Deleting preference file doesn't do anything terrible, it just resets a few preferences back to original, and often times fixes GUI problems.

• 10. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
                            archontic Level 1

Hi dj_paige

I am very sorry to appear to infer that I believe that you are giving me destructive advice. That wasn't my intention. I am sorry if you did. I am just anxious as I am new to using digital photography programs and wanted some reassurance as to the consequences/benefits of deleting a preference file (I don't even know that such a file existed nor what its function is).

Thank you for explaining what a preference is for and why deleting it might solve my issue.

Thank you for all your help and patience

David (Brighton, UK)

• 11. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
                              archontic Level 1

Hi robgendreau

I followed your advice: "Try making use of showing ALL the photos at once, i.e. all photos in all subfolders" and every photo shows the keywords when the photos are sorted by capture time. Thank you for the screenshots.

But should I expect to see keywords for each photo in the side panel if I click on photos shown as thumbnails when selecting a subfolder such as one located Macintosh HD > Pictures/Users/myname/.. > 2014 > 2014-03-14 for example?

My method of adding the keywords had been to open the folder containing all subfolders to show thumbnails of all my photos ordered according to capture time for the year 2014 and add keywords one photo at a time.

Many thanks,

David (Brighton, UK)

• 12. Re: Keyword tags for imported iPhone photos disappeared from LR5.7 catalog under OS 10.10.1Yosemite.
                                robgendreau Level 3

That keyword sidebar should be present no matter which folder you are in. If you are in /Pictures, and have "show subfolders" on, then every photo in every subfolder should show in the grid view, and any time you select a photo it should show its keywords in that box, and if you drop down the keyword list, the photo's keywords should have a check by them. You can add a keyword by either typing it in the box, or checking an existing keyword in the list.

If you go to say /Pictures/subfolder/subfolder/subfolder, it should work the same.

I am concerned that either you aren't seeing ALL photos in one of your views, either because you haven't selected the parent folder of ALL subfolders with photos, or because there is no such folder.

The "gray dotted" triangle means that folder has no subfolders.

Some screenshots, especially of the whole LR interface, when you are in a folder that won't let you keyword or doesn't have keywords would be helpful.