6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 10:24 PM by areohbee

Is my catalog size too big?

janygb143

My LR Preview File is 266GB for 112,000 photos (I shoot in RAW). I had to rebuild the Previews a few months ago due to corruption, and I think I might have duplicated some of the preview rebuilding (I was trying to determine the proper size for previews). What should I do? Delete the previews again and start over? Please help! I'm running out of hard drive space. Thank you!

PS. I'm on a MacBookPro.

• 1. Re: Is my catalog size too big?
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

112,000 isn't particularly big - well within Lr's capabilities: there are many on here with twice that number and more.

• 2. Re: Is my catalog size too big?
            janygb143 Level 1

Oops, I should have been more clear - is the GB size of the Preview file too large? 266GB is a really large chunk of my 750GB HD.

• 3. Re: Is my catalog size too big?
              areohbee Level 5

266GB may not be abnormal for catalog folder (mostly previews), but is WAY TOO BIG for catalog file (.lrcat extension).

If you want less storage to be taken by previews:

* reduce standard preview size

* have 1:1 previews removed after a day or week or month..

R

• 4. Re: Is my catalog size too big?
                janygb143 Level 1

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a few questions:

1. If I remove 1:1 previews, how does that affect zooming in on images?

2. I think I originally built the standard previews at 2048. I think that's too big for my 15" laptop monitor, so if I go back and rebuild the standard previews at something lower (1440 or 1680?), will it do anything? Or will LR skip them because they already have previews built?

3. My .lrcat file is 1.39GB. However, I have TWO .lrdata files in my folder. I think one is the older (corrupted) one and it's 50GB. The newer .lrdata file is 263GB (somehow dropped 3GB since this morning). Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: Is my catalog size too big?
                  areohbee Level 5

janygb143 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a few questions:

1. If I remove 1:1 previews, how does that affect zooming in on images?

2. I think I originally built the standard previews at 2048. I think that's too big for my 15" laptop monitor, so if I go back and rebuild the standard previews at something lower (1440 or 1680?), will it do anything? Or will LR skip them because they already have previews built?

3. My .lrcat file is 1.39GB. However, I have TWO .lrdata files in my folder. I think one is the older (corrupted) one and it's 50GB. The newer .lrdata file is 263GB (somehow dropped 3GB since this morning). Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

You're welcome.

1. 1:1 preview will be rebuilt on demand (when zooming in) if unavailable (e.g. because it was removed).

2. I'd drop the standard preview size down a notch (2048 is probably too big). To rebuild standard previews after changing settings, either delete all previews (.lrdata folder), or discard then rebuild 1:1 previews (discard 1:1's again afterward if not wanted). - there is no good way I know of to rebuild standard previews only - unfortunately (in my opinion) changed settings won't increase odds that they get rebuilt by Lr.

3. there should be "{catalog} Previews.lrdata" (always) and "{catalog} Smart Previews.lrdata" (if you built any smart previews). Any other .lrdata folder is not being used. If size went down, then maybe some 1:1's expired, that's the "usual" reason it goes down, but there are others..

~R.

• 6. Re: Is my catalog size too big?
                    janygb143 Level 1

Such helpful info. I really wasn't sure why I needed 1:1 previews. I guess I need to be willing to wait a few seconds to render, rather than have an out-of-control lrdata file. It's dropped significantly since I changed the settings.

In my Lightroom Catalog folder, I also have a few extraneous files, like Temporary Import Data-2.db. Leave those alone or tidy them up?

Thanks again for all your help!

• 7. Re: Is my catalog size too big?
                      areohbee Level 5

Yeah, if you know you're going to be culling in Library module for sharpness or whatever, it's a real time saver to have 1:1's pre-built, but if you're pretty-much done scrutinizing detail there, then there's not so much point in keeping them around forever - develop module doesn't really use them..

PS - I don't know what 'Temporary Import Data-2.db' is, maybe something created by Aperture->Lr migration? Lr-mobile? Maybe somebody who knows will answer.. - it sounds temporary (and if Windows, would show date when last accessed - dunno 'bout Mac), so it can probably be discarded eventually if not being accessed. One way to see if it would be a problem to delete is move to a purgatory folder, then see if any problems. I keep folders called "Delete in 2016", "Delete in 2017" etc. for such purposes - sorta like long-term recycle bins..

Cheers,

Rob