2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 8:11 AM by jholbo

best-practice for use of object styles to manage image text wrap issues when aiming at both print and EPUB output?

jholbo Level 1

I have a work-flow question about object styles, text-wrap, and preparing a long document with lots of images for dual print/EPUB output in InDesign CC 2014.

I am sort of experienced with InDesign but new to EPUB export. I have hundreds of pages and hundreds of images so I'd like to make my EPUB learning curve, in particular, less painful.

Let me talk you through what I'm planning and you tell me if it's stupid.

It's kind of a storybook-look I'm going for. Single column of text (6" by 9" page) with lots of small-to-medium images on the page (one or two images per page), and the text flowing around, sometimes right, sometimes left. Sometimes around the bounding box, sometimes following the edges of the images. So in each case I'm looking to tweak image size and placement and wrap settings so that the image is as close to the relevant text as possible and the layout isn't all wonky. Lovely print page the goal. Lots of fussy trade-offs and deciding what looks best. Inevitably, this will entail local overrides of paragraph styles. So what I want to do, I guess, is get the images as closely placed as possible, before I do any of that overriding. Then I divide my production line.

1) I set aside the uniformly-styled doc for later EPUB export. (This is wise, right? Start for EPUB export with a doc with pristine styles?)

2) With the EPUB-bound version set aside, I finish preparing the print side, making all my little tweaks. So many pages, so many images. So many little nudges. If I go back and nudge something at the beginning everything shifts a little. It's broken up into lots of separate stories, but still ... there is no way to make this non-tedious. But what is best practice? I'm basically just doing it by hand, eyeballing it and dropping an inline anchor to some close bit of text in case of some storm, i.e. if there's a major text change my image will still be almost where it belongs. Try to get the early bits right so that I don't have to go back and change them and then mess up stuff later. Object styles don't really help me with that. Do they? I haven't found a good use for them at this stage (Obviously if I had to draw a pink line around each image, or whatever, I'd use object styles for that.)

Now let me shift back to EPUB. Clearly I need object styles to prepare for export. I'm planning to make a left float style and a right float style and a couple of others for other cases. And I'm basically going to go through the whole doc selecting each image and styling it in whatever way seems likeliest. At this point I will change the inline anchors to above line or custom, since I'm told EPUB doesn't like the inline ones.

I guess maybe it comes down to this. I realize I have to use object styles for images for EPUB, but for print, manual placement - to make it look just right - and an inline anchor seems best? I sort of feel like if I'm going to bother to use object styles for EPUB I should also use them for print, but maybe that's just not necessary? It feels inefficient to make so many inline anchors and then trade them for a custom thing just for EPUB. But two different outputs means two different workflows. Sometimes you just have to do it twice.

Does this make sense? What am I missing, before I waste dozens of hours doing it wrong?