7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2006 9:46 AM by jocyflossy

help creating/updating external links

jocyflossy
      Hi,

I'm a newbie to DW8, previously most familiar with DW4. In DW8, I cannot figure out how to create or update external links (to websites), such that when I click on that text or image on my site, an external webpage will open in the same (or new) window.

I read in the help section that in the 'edit link' section I'm meant to enter the absolute URL. My problem is that it still wants me to specify some local file or folder to find that link within. This does not make any sense to me! There must be a really simple way to right-click on any text on my site and create a hyperlink to an external webpage?

many thanks!

Els
        • 1. Re: help creating/updating external links
          Level 7
          In the Link box of the property inspector, type the full url; including the
          protocal of http://

http://www.example.com/thepage.html

suggestion- copy the full url from a browser window's address bar to avoid
          typos.

> I'm meant to enter
          > the absolute URL. My problem is that it still wants me to specify some local
          > file or folder to find that link within.

• 2. Re: help creating/updating external links
            Level 7
            Select the text/image in Design view, then just at the footer of the page,
            you will see the structure of the page <body> etc etc - select the <a> tag,
            which is corresponding to your link - and in the Property Inspector, type
            the URL you want to link to - http://blah... and make sure you hit Enter or
            Return when you have typed the last character of the URL. Done.

Brendon

"jocyflossy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ehopnk$mtj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi,
            >
            > I'm a newbie to DW8, previously most familiar with DW4. In DW8, I cannot
            > figure out how to create or update external links (to websites), such that
            > when
            > I click on that text or image on my site, an external webpage will open in
            > the
            > same (or new) window.
            >
            > I read in the help section that in the 'edit link' section I'm meant to
            > enter
            > the absolute URL. My problem is that it still wants me to specify some
            > local
            > file or folder to find that link within. This does not make any sense to
            > me!
            > There must be a really simple way to right-click on any text on my site
            > and
            > create a hyperlink to an external webpage?
            >
            > many thanks!
            >
            > Els
            >

• 3. Re: help creating/updating external links
              Level 7

> and make sure you hit Enter or
              > Return when you have typed the last character of the URL. Done.

or just click the mouse back into design view.

• 4. Re: help creating/updating external links
                Tkilgore
                Hi there,

We use many external links within our website. I've never used the right click, and just tried it and looks like thats more for internal links. I've always just highlighed what I want the link to be, and pasted the full URL into the link box in the property inspector. If you want to open in a new window, just under the link is a pulldown menu with Target in front....the set the target to _blank and when the link is clicked on it will go to the external website but in a new window.

At times the external links have changed, how I've worked these is doing a Find and Replace, Find In ..I choose the full website, Search...I choose Source Code, Find I use the full website using the old URL and replace put the new URL.

I'm no expert and don't know if these are the best ways....but I've gotten these to work. Good luck T
                • 5. Re: help creating/updating external links
                  jocyflossy Level 1
                  Thank you all! I did not have that Property Inspector window open earlier, but now that I do, I see how easy it is to check and fix those external links. My site is working beautifully.

cheers!

Els
                  • 6. Re: help creating/updating external links
                    Level 7
                    "jocyflossy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> I'm a newbie to DW8, previously most familiar with DW4. In DW8, I cannot
                    >figure out how to create or update external links (to websites), such that when
                    >I click on that text or image on my site, an external webpage will open in the
                    >same (or new) window.

This is one thing which didn't seem to work properly in Dreamweaver MX. There
                    may be a better way, but the way I developed (which works equally well in
                    Dreamweaver 8), is as follows:

1. Select the name/image you want to attack the link to

2. Drag the wheel on the 'Link' box (under 'Properties') to a convenient file in
                    your local directory (it doesn't matter which one you use)

3. Point your browser at the web page you wish to link to, highlight the
                    address, and copy it (ctrl_insert)

4. Find the code for the link you have just inserted. It will be something
                    like:

<label for="name"><a href="blog_01.php">Name:</a></label>

5. Highlight the local file name (between the two quotes) in the a href, e.g.
                    blog_01.php above

6. Paste in (shift_insert) the external Link, so that the code now reads
                    something like:

<label for="name"><a
                    href=" http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/ngvmembers/email/20061024/">Name:</a></label>

7. In the 'Target' box select '_blank' if you want the external page to open in
                    a new window (I always do).

Clancy
                    • 7. Re: help creating/updating external links
                      jocyflossy Level 1
                      thanks a lot for the info! I've printed out this topic and it will be a great reference - I see there are many ways to accomplish the same thing.

cheers!

Els