5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 2:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Thumbnail instead of icon.

patrickcady

How can I get a thumbnail picture to identify each video clip on the media screen rather than the generic icon of a clip of film?

• 1. Re: Thumbnail instead of icon.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

patrickcady

More information please.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Where are these thumbnails in which you want a frame from the video associated with it - Premiere Elements 13 Expert workspace/Project Assets or

Elements Organizer 13?

What are the properties of these videos? Knowing the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the videos might give us this type of needed information. Or are these thumbnails coming from lesson media from Classroom in a Book?

We will be watching for your follow up with details.

ATR

• 2. Re: Thumbnail instead of icon.
            patrickcady Level 1

Hello. I am new to Premiere 13 so please bear with me. I am using a Dell with a Pentium (R) Dual Core CPU T4300 @ 2.1 GHz and 3.00 GB of Memory. The problem is that when I load my pictures on the media screen all the still photos have a thumbnail of  the pic so I can recognize which one it is. However all the video clips have only an icon-like picture of a single frame of movie film complete with sprocket holes but no way to identify what is on the clip other than to click on it and wait for it to run and then give it a title. I have videos from my Android Ultra phone but mostly from a Canon Vixia HF R40.

Thanks

Patrick

• 3. Re: Thumbnail instead of icon.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Patrick

You say, when you load my videos on the media screen, you get the thumbnails without image from the video.

From your description, I get the impression that you are in the Elements Organizer 13 that comes with the Premiere Elements 13 and not

the Premiere Elements 13 Editor. Can you confirm that?

Where are you saving the files that you eventually import into the program? If they are saved to a place like My Videos, then I would like

you to import some of these videos into the Premiere Elements 13 Editor using the Editor's Expert workspace/Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

When the videos get into the Project Assets, do their thumbnail have within them image from the video?

Also, you mention 3.00 GB of Memory....what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on, and is it 32 or 64 bit ? Is that 3.00 GB of memory installed or available? How much installed RAM does your computer have?

You are probably importing AVCHD.mp4 into the Elements Organizer 13 part of Premiere Elements 13. If that is the case, which I suspect,

right click one of the thumbnails (one without video image), and select Update Thumbnail. Does that work to get a video image into the thumbnail.

If that does not work, then try renaming just the file extension from .mp4 to .mov and let us know what happens (also do an Update Thumbnail on the AVCHD.mov thumbnail from the file extension renaming.

Please review and consider. If you cannot answer any of the above, please give detail so that I can re-write to clarify.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Thumbnail instead of icon.
                patrickcady Level 1

Hello ATR.

I think I am in the Premiere Elements screen. There are the captions 'e-live,  media, people, etc.' at the top. At any rate the answer 'update thumbnails' in paragraph 4 worked! So you have answered my question. I will also tell you my comp is a 64 bit. I am wondering if I am in over my head in trying to do a little video editing. I have done Photoshop for years and have put off doing video. I was hoping Premiere Elements would be more user friendly. For instance I would not have known about update thumbnails or haw to do that. I did take a short intro course at International Camera and I am using how to use this forum so I'm not giving up yet but the introductory makes it sound like it is a lot easier than is suggested. I get around pretty well in the usual stuff but there is a lot I don't know. Any advice? I am going to also see if there are some more in-depth courses around. In the meantime thanks for your help so far!

Patrick

• 5. Re: Thumbnail instead of icon.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Patrick

Never be intimidated by Premiere Elements.

When I first got into "Elements" over ten years ago (never been there and done that ever before), I did that to find a way to repair a damaged photo of my late brother-in-law. Enter Photoshop Elements 3.0 into my life. Then that lured me into Premiere Elements 2.0. Then I got really worried and was overwhelmed "What have I gotten myself into?" I have never regretted the stick-to-it-tiveness approach and learning from whatever free sources I could find using large doses of exploration and experimentation and not always accepting the pat one line answers.

Lots to explore freely

The basic introductory links for the program include

Adobe TV Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Video Tutorials

http://tv.adobe.com/product/premiere-express/

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Overview/Features/Tech Specs/Reviews/FAQ/Reviews/FAQ/Buying Guide

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements.html

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Help PDF File

(at this point, needs to be checked out to make sure that it is really completely for 13 and not 12)

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

Elements 13 Organizer

(at this point, needs to be checked out to make sure that it is really completely for 13 and not 12)

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

Maybe consider taking a look at my Premiere Elements 13 First Look and Premiere Elements 13 Daily Discoveries blog posts.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/09/premiere-elements-13-first-look-details.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/09/premiere-elements-13-daily-discoveries.html

We are always glad for the opportunity to share what works for us and from what we have read.

Best wishes

ATR