5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 8:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Playback of imported video is blurry... what should i do?

Usora1 Level 1

Hello,  I am new to Premiere Elements and to this forum. I'm a novice to the whole thing.  

I am using Premiere Elements 8 and playback in the monitor is not clear enough to make editing easy. When i pause it though, it's perfectly clear. Please help on what i should do. I played around with the presets but what i found to fit well with the details below and the least blurry was NTSC-AVCHD-HD1080i 30. 

Here are the details, 

Source of Video: Canon Vixia HFM30 HD 

Video format: AVCHD (.mts) 1440x1080 29fps 

I am running on a Dell XPS L501x 8 GB, 64 bit OS, Windows 7 

Please let me know if i overlooked any other info you may need to help me. I'd be grateful to any information that you could provide me.  

Thanks kindly

• 1. Re: Playback of imported video is blurry... what should i do?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

-click the links about how to set up your project to match your video

• 2. Re: Playback of imported video is blurry... what should i do?
            Usora1 Level 1

Thank you John, it was helpful.

• 3. Re: Playback of imported video is blurry... what should i do?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Usora1

Is your issue resolved? Have you gotten rid of your blurry preview within the project?

What version of Premiere Elements are you using on Window 7 64 bit? For now, I will assume version 11, 12, or 13.

If not blurry previews still exist...

1. Have you (manually) or the project (automatically) set the project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080p30

in order to match the properties of your 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 source media?

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

2. When you were seeing the blurry preview in the Edit area monitor, were you looking at the unrendered or rendered

Timeline content in the playback? If you had an orange line above the Timeline content during that playback, does the blur go away if you press the Render key above the Timeline in order to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the playback of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor?

The program uses a colored line indicator above the Timeline content to tell you whether or not it is giving you the best possible

preview

1. No colored line = you are getting the best possible preview for the file that you just imported - no Timeline rendering needed or possible. Typically

associated with you or the project setting a matching project preset beforehand.

2. Orange line = you are not getting the best possible preview - Render.

3. Green line = you are getting the best possible preview - no Timeline rendering needed or possible.

If you have "no colored line" or "green line" indicating no Timeline rendering needed, after you edit that content, you will get the need Timeline

rendering indication again and another Timeline render is needed for that edited content to get back to the "best possible preview" status.

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Playback of imported video is blurry... what should i do?
                Usora1 Level 1

Dear ATR,

This solved my problem fully. I appreciate your help very much. Yes, the shakiness was in the unrendered preview because i thought rendering was done only after editing. I am learning as i go.

Thanks again

• 5. Re: Playback of imported video is blurry... what should i do?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Usora1

Wonderful news. Great job of following through on the troubleshooting.

That rendering of the Timeline is an interesting preview concept - with the associated color line indicator above the Timeline content as a message from the

program as to whether or not you are getting the best possible preview. Each time you render Timeline content with an orange line over it, the program

automatically generates preview files (for SD, dv.avi and for HD, mpeg2.mpg). These can pile up (default location = Adobe Folder/Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder). So, keep a watch for pile ups. If necessary, you can delete the preview files. The consequence of that is

you will have to re-render that Timeline content again if you want a best possible preview (green line over Timeline content). Lots and lots more details which we  can go into later.

Please let us know if any questions or need clarification.

Best wishes

ATR