12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 7:05 AM by darryal987123

Using LR catalogue

darryal987123

USING CATALOGUS - I'm using Lr 4.4 on a Mac with OS X 10.6.8.  I'm trying to use the catalogue method for organizing my photos.  I go through these steps - I have my photos on an external hard drive in folder 1 / I open LR 4 and create a new catalogue / I name it the same as the folder where pix are stored / I use convert to DNG setting and tell Lr to place the DNG files and the new catalogue in the same folder / I have a number of folders inside the master folder 1 BTW /  I import /  I close and re-open the catalogue (Lr doesnt seem to see the photos until I do this / I see thumb nails of some photos and a lot of blank boarders / when I click on the blank boarders it tells me it can't find the original photo.  Am I doing something wrong - do all the photos need to be in one folder and not in separate folders inside a master folder?  any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you

• 1. Re: Using LR catalogue
          ~IanB~ Level 1

why are you using catalogus for file? (??)

• 2. Re: Using LR catalogue
            darryal987123 Level 1

Because people are recommending it may be a better way to organize photos

and streamline the Lr process

• 3. Re: Using LR catalogue
              dj_paige Level 9

While using a catalog can be a better way to organize photos, it usually is only a better way if you take advantage of the benefits of using a catalog. If you ignore the benefits of using a catalog, you are no better off than if you organized in your operating system with folders as the primary/only organizing structure, and you haven't streamlined anything, in fact you have anti-streamlined your workflow. In other words, in my opinion, you should use one catalog for ALL of your photos (streamlining your workflow), and then a rather flat folder structure (by capture date works) with keywords and other metadata used as your method of organizing/searching.

With regards to your specific problem, it sounds like you are saying that after you close Lightroom and re-open Lightroom, then Lightroom cannot find the original photos. Is that right? Have you moved the photos somehow after you import but before you re-open the photos? Are there question marks in the grey rectangle surrounding a photo? Can you show us screen capture?

By the way, could you use proper punctuation instead of a slash where you should be using a period? Thanks.

• 4. Re: Using LR catalogue
                darryal987123 Level 1

Hello and thanks for taking the time to respond I guess the catalogue

choice is a matter of opinion.  It's more suggested for professionals whom

like to keep shoots separated and mobile from computer to computer.  Some

say if you're working with a lot of photos, using 1 catalogue (how I was

originally organized) can become cumbersome for Lr.  In any case, I wanted

to try the catalogue method, soŠ.  The problem I'm experiencing, I think, is

getting Lr to find files that have been moved.  Lr sees the photo in preview

but if I switch to develop module, it gives an error message see enclosed

for reference. (top middle of the frame).

• 5. Re: Using LR catalogue
                  ~IanB~ Level 1

have heard of people using catalogs and each client has a personally catalog. Sounded complicated when there folders/collections/keywords within lightroom. I could understand old/dead files being kept in a separate catalog so they don't get backed up every time. I could understand very large/busy photo business using separate  catalogs for different types of photography/busines.

I have no idea how many files you have however it sounds like the old case of making digital photography/lightroom more complicated than it is or has to be

As for problem I feel I better leave that to the more experience/smarter as I got into lot of knots doing very similar to you . I have a feeling there is problem with "export/import as a catalog"

Your photos are still in the same/correct folders on the hard drive?

Sorry I can't be of more help. As we say down Aust  "If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it" or even try to fix.

• 6. Re: Using LR catalogue
                    dj_paige Level 9

Some say if you're working with a lot of photos, using 1 catalogue (how I was originally organized) can become cumbersome for Lr.

I disagree. I think the more photos you have, the more you need the power of Lightroom to organize them all. Nevertheless ...

The problem I'm experiencing, I think, is getting Lr to find files that have been move

Lightroom does not do this. You have to find the files that have been moved, not Lightroom.

Lr sees the photo in preview but if I switch to develop module, it gives an error message  see enclosed for reference. (top middle of the frame).

You can't attach photos via e-mail. These instructions fix this problem: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 7. Re: Using LR catalogue
                      darryal987123 Level 1

When you consider how you normally work with photographs you're only going

to be working with photos from one particular shoot at any given time, which

would presumably all be in the same catalogue anyway this opens big

workflow advantages to the user like catalogue wide editing, etc.  Opening

up another catalogue takes only seconds if you want to work on a different

batch of photographs it's only the initial importing that makes catalogues

difficult for people to work with but once you get used to the importing

work flow your world gets a lot easier.  If you want to look at all your

photos in one place like a gallery type format, which, granted is how many

people look at photos these days - catalogues is not the way to go.  But I

think if you're planning to do serious work on your photos, learning the

catalogue method may be in your best interest.

• 8. Re: Using LR catalogue
                        dj_paige Level 9

When you consider how you normally work with photographs you're only going

to be working with photos from one particular shoot at any given time

True for some people, not true for others. When I made a photobook, I need to select photos from my entire collection of photos, which I would not have been able to do if I had put them in many catalogs.

If you want to look at all your photos in one place like a gallery type format, which, granted is how many

people look at photos these days - catalogues is not the way to go.

Using one catalog is the best (and probably only) way to go. You can indeed look at all of your photos when they are all in a single catalog. You certainly can't do this if you have multiple catalogs; and you can't do this if you are using your operating system folders to organize.

But I think if you're planning to do serious work on your photos, learning the catalogue method may be in your best interest.

If by "serious work" you mean organizing and search, then yes indeed, one catalog is the way to go.

• 9. Re: Using LR catalogue
                          darryal987123 Level 1

I don't know I feel like selecting photos from a giant group of photos

gets unmanageable at some point but you're right; to each his/her own and

what ever works best, works best for each of us.  Cheers!

• 10. Re: Using LR catalogue
                            darryal987123 Level 1

Anyhow the problem I'm having is that after importing photos into a

catalogue, Lr seems to not know where the original pictures are even though

I'm adding the original pictures to the same folder where the catalogue

exists.  The previews let me see the photos, but when I switch to develop, I

get the following error messages.  I guess what I'm looking for is something

like in video editing software that let's users reconnect with the original

media- does anybody know if something like that exists in Lr 5?  I've

included a few screen shots hopefully they're helpful in further

explaining the situation.

• 12. Re: Using LR catalogue
                              darryal987123 Level 1

That's what I was looking for thank you so much dj_paige!