4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 8:58 AM by BrettA

Persistent - CS 5.5 and userInteractionLevel = NEVER_INTERACT (is it possible)?

BrettA Level 1

#target InDesign 

#targetengine "session"

app.scriptPreferences.userInteractionLevel = 1699640946; //NEVER_INTERACT;

I've even tried to wrap this into a floating persistent dialog box script that runs, and for example "missing fonts" still pops up. But running it in a run-once script it will suppress the dialog box.

We need never to see any of the dialog boxes (period) they just get in the way in our workflow... and AutoHotkey; etc. script catching the window title and hitting "Ok" is proving to be too slow...

Any help would be literally amazing! Thanks!

• 1. Re: Persistent - CS 5.5 and userInteractionLevel = NEVER_INTERACT (is it possible)?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@BrettA – Did you consider using

app.scriptPreferences.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevels.NEVER_INTERACT;

as a startup script?

Or would this be too drastic to use for a workflow?
          (In my opinion it would be.)

Uwe

• 2. Re: Persistent - CS 5.5 and userInteractionLevel = NEVER_INTERACT (is it possible)?
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Laubender wrote:

[..] Or would this be too drastic to use for a workflow?
            (In my opinion it would be.)

What happens to the ol' "Save document before closing" dialog, for example? I'm not too sure suppressing it makes it always choose "Yes". I'm quite hesitant to try it out -- for obvious reasons!

• 4. Re: Persistent - CS 5.5 and userInteractionLevel = NEVER_INTERACT (is it possible)?
              BrettA Level 1

we use a Warehouse Management Service that is the back-end; to what I want to say uses XML and Javascript (I'm not even 100% certain) to copy and paste .indd files into a master template (it tends to work fairly well). All variable data is inserted using the "Script Label" attribute (i.e. "LINK1"). InDesigns' own XML and Data-Merge workflow would be the more modern and flexible way to go, yet the workflow was setup using the early versions of InDesign and is so far out of our departments control (and is so hidden), that to make changes to the script would be jumping through hoops. The only issue we see is having to manually (or programmaticly) clicking "OK" on the Missing Font Dialog, (1) I have used Autohotkey, using title window and have set it to click the OK button. (2) We are now testing johanneshuebner.com - ClickOff - and it always works as long as InDesign is in the foreground. (3) Using any font manager with an auto-activation plugin (i.e. Universal Type Client) is the slowest option yet. (4) we could manually mange 2,000 + template fonts, on each of 10 servers, but you know how that goes, Arial conflicts with Arial, per foundry, etc... (and being an OSX guy, I find that Windows is very capable being very buggy with fonts).

...but, the issue is that even the slight hesitation of the dialog causes a train-wreck on the servers. I'm so frustrated with InDesign not allowing this and was hoping to impress and quickly resolve this, but...

could it be the app."scriptPreferences". is isolating it to the script itself only? In the DOM I didn't find any other logical things to try.

Thanks so much for your interest Jongware & Laubender! I've definitely learned a'lot from your contributions to the JS community.