5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2014 1:22 PM by TacoRye

Red Rocket X and Adobe After Effects.  Benefit?

TacoRye Level 1

Hello,

I am attempting to utilize a Red Rocket X card with After Effects and have yet to see any difference when doing RAM preview.

Is there a benefit with RRX and After Effects?  If so, where does it help?

5k, R3D

Mac Pro 2012

2.9ghz

16g RAM

Quadro4000

Fiber Raid

Thanks!

- Ryan

• 1. Re: Red Rocket X and Adobe After Effects.  Benefit?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The Red Rocket X accelerates decoding and compressing of RED files.  According to posts on their forum, After Effects is not designed to take advantage of this process as well as Premiere Pro, and so the advantage is measurable, but not huge.  They suggest that I/O speeds are about twice as fast in After Effects with a Red Rocket X.  But file I/O is often only a small part of AE's render speed.  So if, for example, your normal system can read 1 frame of RED 4K footage in a second, it will read it in about half a second with a Red Rocket X card.  Across a 1000 frame render, that'll save you 500 seconds (8 minutes).

These are all very general guesstimates, but a vague guideline.  The reality is that the card won't make a dramatic difference to After Effects, but will in Premiere Pro.

• 2. Re: Red Rocket X and Adobe After Effects.  Benefit?
            TacoRye Level 1

Thanks Andrew!

I am not noticing a direct benefit in Premiere Pro.  Is there a certain procedure I need to do for it to work properly?

Cheers!

- Ryan

• 3. Re: Red Rocket X and Adobe After Effects.  Benefit?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What benefits are you expecting to see?  Like I said, all the Red Rocket card does is decode and encode RED format files more quickly.  But in many workflows that advantage will be fairly unnoticeable.  If you disable the card, can you play 4K RED files without any problems?

• 4. Re: Red Rocket X and Adobe After Effects.  Benefit?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Did you install the Rocket drivers after Adobe? Do you have the latest firmware? If your already getting realtime playback in Premiere then the way to know if the Rocket card is handling the load is look at the  CPU load during playback. If the load is under 20% then your using the Rocket card most likely. If it's over 20% especially over 50% then your most likely not using the Rocket card.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Red Rocket X and Adobe After Effects.  Benefit?
                  TacoRye Level 1

Thank you all.

After reseating the card, it magically began working faster.  Odd part about it, it originally worked fine in Red Cine, but not Premiere or AE.   But now it works in all three.

Thanks for the responses!

- Ryan