16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 3:36 PM by station_two

Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?

Level 5

Not having the least interest in video or animation myself, I have not looked into After Effects in years. 

I've been an Adobe customer since the early 1980s and a user of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign for over a decade, or since those programs were launched, whatever came first. Been on the forums since the CompuServe days.

Am I totally wrong, or was there a time when After Effects was used by Photoshop users who, like me, did not need video features?  I am now surprised to see that AE is now mostly all about video editing.

I do have a sound reason for inquiring, but I don't want to bother the community with the details before they become pertinent.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
          EchoOut Level 1

Photoshop popped up around 1990, Adobe bought After Effects around 94 which was 3.0. In its most basic functionality (layers on a timeline, transform tools, basic effects) even before Adobe,  it wasn't SO different than now, so you've probably mistaken it for something else.

• 2. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the past I have used After Effects to do things I could not do in Photoshop for print ads. Sometimes now I use Photoshop to do things to video that are very difficult to do an After Effects. I've been using After Effects sense the Cosa days. That's more than 20 years.

• 3. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
              Level 5

No, I'm definitely not mistaking it for something else, but I may well be forgetting what features it had when I first learned about it.  As an old geezer, I do have my share of senior moments.

The date that Adobe bought AE is irrelevant for my purposes, I may well be thinking of reading about it before Adobe bought it, or after that.  It doesn't matter. My recollection is that some professional photographers that did not deal with video or animation used to own and use AE for some aspects of post production. 

Now I'll elaborate why I'm interested in After Effects all of a sudden:

Photoshop is and has always been my digital darkroom, nothing less and nothing more.  A substantial part of my workflow entails scanning film, both old a new film negatives.  Some of my cameras are digital SLRs and some others are expensive film cameras, including some Middle Format.

The best suite of grain management filters ever was and remains GrainSurgery, which Adobe acquired when they bought the assets of Visual Infinity at least 7 or 8 years ago/years ago and promptly killed as a separate suite.  (Grrrr…)

The GrainSurgery 2 filters do not run on Intel-Macs.

From a top Adobe Photoshop engineering brain, I learned that some of the Grain Surgery filters "were rolled into After Effects", which I've never used.

The suite of grain filters in Visual Infinity's consisted of

1. Add Grain,
              2. Auto Match Grain,
              3. Match Grain,
              4. Remove Grain, and
              5. Sample Grain

From an AE CS6 Reference PDF I downloaded from the Adobe site it looks to me like those filters are in fact in that version of After Effects, albeit renamed effects or something to that effect.

My plan would be to acquire AE CS6 or an earlier and/or more simplified version that includes the suites and can run on my Mac Pro with an Intel.  The newer and current versions are not supported by my Mac Pro.

Hence my interest in less video features.

Thank you for your response, Echo Out!

• 4. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                EchoOut Level 1

Yeah I remember feeling really late to the game but somehow it's been about 17 years for me as an AE user. I definitely do almost everything in AE now but definitely encourage my students who are interested in animating and doing specialized frame-by-frame work in Photoshop.

• 5. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                  Level 5

Rick Gerard wrote:

In the past I have used After Effects to do things I could not do in Photoshop for print ads. Sometimes now I use Photoshop to do things to video that are very difficult to do an After Effects. I've been using After Effects sense the Cosa days. That's more than 20 years.

Precisely!  Thank you so much for chiming in and satisfying me that I'm not completely nuts yet, Rick. 

That's exactly the kind of thing I remembered.

Any suggestions or should I just go ahead and buy AE CS6?

Thanks in advance.

• 6. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                    EchoOut Level 1

Wasn't intending to offend, just trying to summarize the period when After Effects seemed to hit the market on a really large level. I have read several times that the CoSA team that wrote After Effects intended it as "Photoshop for video" so I could definitely see how the lines between the two could get incredibly blurry.

• 7. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                      EchoOut Level 1

For what it's worth, it look like AE version 6.5 from 2006 was the first to roll in the Grain Surgery plugins and version 7.0 was the last before they moved to the Intel Universal Binary that may be the era you're trying to avoid with your Mac Pro. Man, I actually still have those!

• 8. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                        Level 5

Oh, I was not remotely offended, Echo! Quite the contrary, I was and still am grateful to both you and Rick.

My remark re sanity was in reference to my own doubts.

• 9. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I've certainly used AE as a print tool many times over the years. 

Before the existence of Smart Layers in Photoshop, the big advantage of using AE was that it allowed non-destructive editing.  If you scale a non-Smart layer in Photoshop, it is effectively changed forever.  Scale it down 50%, then change your mind and scale it up 200%, you've lost half your resolution.  But in AE, because every footage item is simply a reference to an external physical file, you can endlessly rescale without ever damaging the original or losing any pixels.  This advantage is mostly negated with Smart Layers (which effectively work like AE does by storing protected copies of the layer).

Another reason to use After Effects is to use the wealth of third party plugins available.  Back in the early 2000s when every graphic in the world had light beams coming out of it (thank goodness that's over!) filters like CC Light Rays and Trapcode Shine in After Effects were a really fast way to project light beams out of text and other objects.  After Effects has a lot more out-of-the-box effects included than PS.

After Effects is also a great place to render 3D extruded text and objects.  In the days before PS had a decent 3D engine in it, I often used the Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator plugin to generate extruded text for print work.  And there's few faster ways to throw together some really slick 3D text these days than VCP Element 3D.

• 10. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                            Level 5

EchoOut wrote:

For what it's worth, it look like AE version 6.5 from 2006 was the first to roll in the Grain Surgery plugins and version 7.0 was the last before they moved to the Intel Universal Binary that may be the era you're trying to avoid with your Mac Pro. Man, I actually still have those!

That information about the different versions is priceless!  Thank you so much.

I actually need to get past version 7.0 then, because my Mac Pro absolutely requires the Intel Universal Binary version, but I cannot go beyond version 11.0.something, because at one point, the Mac version required a version of the highest OS X that will run on my  machine, which happens to be Lion OS X 10.7.5; it will not support Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite.

It would be nice if one could sell older versions after you use them to upgrade to a higher version, but that would be absolutely illegal and the serial number wouldn't work for a different user.

Adobe still sells a perpetual version of AE CS6 for $1,000 which is a bit much to regain the filters on my Mac Pro.

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 11.59.21 PM.png

Actually, I have the GrainSurgery2 suite of filters installed and running on Photoshop CS4 under Tiger 11.0.4 on my Power Mac G5-Quad, which is networked and shares the keyboard and dual monitors with the Mac Pro.  It would be nice not to have to go through my little Ethernet 2-Macs network to use the GS2 grain filters.

Thank you very much.

• 11. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                              Level 5

Great and very helpful post, Andrew.  Thanks! 

• 12. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                                bogiesan Level 4

Sorryu to butt in, haven't read the whole thread. Brian Maffitt has published an extensive personal history of his love affair with AE beginning with v1.0 of CoSA. I do not have a link for you, it might not exist any longer.

I have used AE since it was CoSA and I have often used the unique filters to create still images or to set up animations that produced a particular still image. I do not use Photoshop at all.

• 13. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                                  Level 5

Thank you for chiming in.  Much appreciated.

• 14. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                                    Level 5

Well, I downloaded and installed the trail version of AE CS6 and updated it to 11.0.4.

As I understand it, this is the highest version of AE that will run in OS X Lion 10.7.5. Higher versions of OS X are not supported by my machine.

Of course, I was overwhelmed as soon as I saw the interface and the workspace.  I'm going to have to do a lot of reading before I can make sense of it.  I hope I can do it before the 30-day trial period expires.

I can see a couple of the Grain effects in The Finder; however all Effects appear to be grayed out in the trial version.

Thank you again to everyone who chimed in.  Much appreciated.

• 15. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You are misunderstanding; nothing is disabled in the trial version.

Start here to learn After Effects:

http://adobe.ly/AE_basics

• 16. Re: Maybe I'm dreaming: was there ever a before-video After Effects for Ps?
                                        Level 5

Without even clicking on your link, your post made me realize I was not doing it correctly.  Thank you.

Less than a minute later, I was in business. 

Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 3.25.14 PM.png

The three arrows point to three of the five GrainSurgery2 filters or their equivalents after being rolled onto AE.  I hope the other two are in the final version.

You have saved a lot of precious time, which is great during the trail period and during the holidays.

Much appreciated.