12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 10:20 AM by rob day

Google drive and In-Design

the_gravy

Hi

I'm working on a magazine in indesign, my indesign docs are located on my machine.

All the ads and various images are on a shared google drive.

When I send my files for another designer to work on, all of the images are shown as missing as the path relates to my computer something like this:

/Users/MyComputer/Google Drive/Magazine Shared Files/Magazine Content/Issue 21 - Jan 2015/pic1.jpg

and when I get the files back if he has imported an image it shows its missing on my computer.

The magazines are quite big and there are loads of image files and pdf located in quite a few folders

Is there away of changing the paths from e.g. /Users/JonsComputer/Google Drive/Magazine Shared Files to /Users/MyComputer/Google Drive/Magazine Shared Files

with out having to individually relinking all elements

thanks in advance for any help

cheers

D

• 1. Re: Google drive and In-Design
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Of course they’re missing. You didn’t send them along and the other person isn’t either.

Two choices: Everyone should be using the package command and sending the entire package or, dump everything into a dropbox folder and work from there.

I would opt for the dropbox solution, which I’ve used many, many times.

• 2. Re: Google drive and In-Design
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How about using the Relink to Folder command in the links panel flyout menu?

• 3. Re: Google drive and In-Design
              the_gravy Level 1

Hi Peter thanks for the message

Unfortunately there are multiple links 100 or so and some of these are in specific client folders, as part of a work flow, with issue dates for different advertising placement so with out doubling up on multiple links the images need to stay in their own folders really rather than all be bundled in one big folder.

thanks

D

• 4. Re: Google drive and In-Design
                the_gravy Level 1

Hi Bob

I know about packaging job thats not really what I'm after!

as the images, adverts etc are all saved on google drive, there are over 23,000 items in specific folders that editors, sub-editors, designers and photo editors work on so cant really be bundled into one big job without creating multiple version of the same image or advert as these are used across different issues, different languages etc.

Its more of a changing the path of the file from my computer to jon's without relinking every element, so the links in indesign are not missing when looking to export for a pdf atc.

thanks though

• 5. Re: Google drive and In-Design

Then why not put the InDesign file into a Dropbox folder. The other person can work on it even with the links missing. When you open it, the links will be right where they were and will be available.

• 6. Re: Google drive and In-Design
                    the_gravy Level 1

Hi Bob,

the issue we are having is that that various designers work on magazine pages, placing images, pes and pdf etc. but only one person will output the job to press, but at the moment they have to relink all images etc. as the paths for each element is showing the users computer:

/Users/MyComputer/Google Drive/Magazine Shared Files/Magazine Content/Issue 21 - Jan 2015/pic1.jpg

rather that just seeing Google Drive/Magazine Shared Files/Magazine Content/Issue 21 - Jan 2015/pic1.jpg

Dropbox may work differently but i suspect that the link is that case would be /Users/MyComputer/Dropbox/Magazine Shared Files/Magazine Content/Issue 21 - Jan 2015/pic1.jpg

Which i guess would still show as missing, would it not, I've not used dropbox for a few years so it may be a different story

thanks again Bob

D

• 7. Re: Google drive and In-Design

Somebody needs to examine this workflow because quite frankly, it’s not very efficient.

I’ve never done this with Google Drive but I’ve done it with Dropbox and even crossplatform InDesign finds every link in other folders.

• 8. Re: Google drive and In-Design
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which i guess would still show as missing, would it not, I've not used dropbox for a few years so it may be a different story

With Dropbox all of the placed assets need to be inside the shared folder for them to show as up to date. I can't place a file from somewhere else on my local machine and have the status show as OK to everyone else in the group.

• 9. Re: Google drive and In-Design
                          the_gravy Level 1

Hi Bob

I agree, not efficient at all, the publishing company was a small two man band, that has grown and uses designer from around the country (UK) / world!

So thats why I'm here is to try and find out the best way for all of us designers working across the same files and using the same elements located in one place, but still with all elements linking remotely

I'll check out dropbox as there seems to be a few people that favour that over google drive

thanks for all your help

ta

D

• 10. Re: Google drive and In-Design
                            the_gravy Level 1

Thanks Rob, will check out Dropbox.

ta

D

• 11. Re: Google drive and In-Design

Actually they don’t, but they do have to be in a folder that is accessible.

I use several shared folders for projects and as long as each user has those shared folders everything should work fine.

• 12. Re: Google drive and In-Design
                                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right, my wording could have been clearer—I meant files outside of the user's shared Dropbox folders