16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 3:16 PM by A.T. Romano

How do i trim a music score?

CurtEastin

I am trying to clip out 3 seconds from a music score in PE. So far, no success. If I trim or clip out a section, it seems to ignore the edit and simply play from the beginning. I am missing something? If not, is there any way to export to music and edit it outside of PE?

Thank you,

Curt

• 1. Re: How do i trim a music score?
          whsprague Level 4

You are missing something.  The capability to manage audio tracks is fundamental in PrE.  In order to help, you'll have to give a little more about how you're doing it. 

Basically, you should cut the track at the beginning and end of the 3 second section, highlight the "new" 3 second section and delete it.  The remaining pieces should slide together.

• 2. Re: How do i trim a music score?
            CurtEastin Level 1

Thank you whsprague. That's what I'm doing. When I delete the sections it doesn't it doesn't seem to have any effect. I attached a jing file to show you what I'm doing.

http://screencast.com/t/xaSJ5sous36f

Thank you.

• 3. Re: How do i trim a music score?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

CurtEastin

I understand completely what you want to do and what you are doing.

You are not working with an "ordinary soundtrack". You are working with one with SmartSound concept applied so that

you can alter the duration of the soundtrack without altering the arrangement.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? I am guessing Premiere Elements

If music score, probably 12 or 13.

I am confirming your results using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit using the Music Score Aura. Did this first hand.

I am now in the process of trying to determine if what you want to do with this Music Score clip is possible.

Right now I am exploring the Music Score files at the hard drive save location and wondering if you can use any of the components instead of

the Music Score for Aura under the program's Audio Tab. Exploration and experimentation at this point.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Music Score

All_Lang

Ambient

Aura

Your explanation was right on in your description.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

CurtEastin

I just saw your post  2 after I had posted my post 3. Your original explanation was good and did not need the video explanation, but thank you. It was perfectly understandable as originally written. Great job of communicating.

More later.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                  whsprague Level 4

I need to take lessons from you.  Your screencast is impressive.  I am going to learn how you do that.  Thanks.

Back to the subject.....  You are doing it exactly like I do it on a regular basis.  So I'm probably going to fail at helping much. 

First thought.... On previous posts I've followed in the couple years I've been trying to learn Premier Elements there have been times when the audio didn't function as expected.  Moving it to a different audio track would magically solve it.  Try moving it to down to the Soundtrack line.  If that doesn't work, try moving it up to Audio 2 or 3.  Usually, the Narration line is the one that caused problems.  Theoretically they should all work the same.  But????

Second thought is that the track may have some sort of copy protection built in and it won't allow a cut.

My third thought is a complete work around.  The program Audacity is free, popular and respected.  It is fun to use and capable.  You should be able to load the track and make a copy without the 3 seconds.  If not, Audacity will record anything playing on your computer to a new file that that can be edited.  

Good luck!  I'd love to know how this works out. 

Bill

• 6. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                    whsprague Level 4

Until ATR pointed it out, I didn't notice it was a built in Sound Effect.  I found it and tried it.  It works the same as for you.  It won't cut like a "normal" mp3.

But, I may have a quick and weird work around. 

Put in some keyframes and make the volume silent for three seconds.  Move all your other project clips to the right for three seconds.  Set the work area bars to match the project.  Then at output, check the box that says to limit the render to the work bar area only. 

Diagram attached: 

Capture.JPG

• 7. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

CurtEastin

I want to emphasize, Premiere Elements 11 is the last version of Premiere Elements to offer SmartSound with that SmartSound concept to which I have been referring.

Prime thought...Premiere Elements 12 and 13 do not have SmartSound. It now has Music Score which is based on the SmartSound concept but is not SmartSound.

I am addressing your question directly on Premiere Elements 12 and 13 Music Score feature, can and cannot do.

And, I am confirming your results with first hand details.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

CurtEastin

Just to point out, you are not working with a "built in Sound Effect". You are working with a Music Score....as you have stated from the beginning. And that Music Score appears to be Rock-Pop/Punk and Roll. That has been clear from the beginning.

Sound Effect is not characterized by the SmartSound concept. Just regular .wav files. You are not dealing with Sound Effect in this instance.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                          whsprague Level 4

ATR, that track is specificlly named in the 13 under audio in the Pop-Rock.

I tried my work around and it works.    I've added some red marks to show the items. 

Next for me will be learning Jing and Screencast.   So far I see that Jing is like a five minute max version of the well known Camtasia.   Can't wait to try it out!Capture.JPG

• 10. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                            CurtEastin Level 1

A.T. Romano,

Thank you for the details. Sorry to not include the details - I am using PE 13 on windows 7 - 64 bit and am a brand new user. You are correct. There is no smart sound on PE13. It is now music score. I looked on the C drive > program data. There isn't a single clip for the audio titles. Rather a bunch of individual clips that are layered over each other to produce the final result. This allows you to set the intensity level for each audio title. More intensity = more layered clips and visa versa. So, I don't think there is a way to do what I want within PE. whsprague may have a work around. I'll try that.

Thank you again!

Curt

• 11. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                              CurtEastin Level 1

whsprague,

Very creative work around. I'll give that a try. It sounds like its worked for you.

Thank you for the effort and great screen capture ex plainer. I really appreciate it!

Curt

• 12. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

CurtEastin

Thanks for the reply. I am still exploring alternatives. Looking forward to your results.

But, if you can export the segment based on muted/unmuted sound, that export should lose all is Music Score perks

of being able to alter its duration without altering its arrangement. Would that aspect work for you?

ATR

• 13. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                                  whsprague Level 4

CurtEastin wrote:

....and am a brand new user.

Curt

Curt,

I've used 4 of the last 5 versions and prefer getting my music tracks outside of Premier Elements.  It is not frequently explained, but it is easy.  Once you have a .mp3 on your computer, you bring it into the project exactly like a video clip through "Add Media".  Then you drop it on the time line on any audio track for trimming and adjusting.  A favorite for free and original music is Eric Matyas work on his soundimage.org website.  ( Sound Image ) .  If you don't mind paying a little there is a great source at the Vimeo Music Store ( Vimeo Music Store ), including music from SmartSound that ATR mentions.  SmartSound tracks cab be custom built to an exact length to match your requirements. 

Bill

• 14. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                                    CurtEastin Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

CurtEastin

Thanks for the reply. I am still exploring alternatives. Looking forward to your results.

But, if you can export the segment based on muted/unmuted sound, that export should lose all is Music Score perks

of being able to alter its duration without altering its arrangement. Would that aspect work for you?

ATR

ATR, you are correct about loosing the perks of the Music Score. I'm trying to use it in ways it wasn't intended - more of a clip for an intro I'm making rather than a score. The work around suggested by whsprague worked. After publishing the file, I had to bring it back into PE13 and trim the beginning and ending muted sections to get the proper length of 3 seconds. Kind of a lot of work but it accomplished my goal. I appreciate your help. If and look forward to any other insights you may have!

Curt

• 15. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                                      CurtEastin Level 1

Thanks Bill,

Your workaround definitely worked! I think I'll use your suggestion about outside music from her on. Thanks a bunch for your help and the music sources.

Curt

• 16. Re: How do i trim a music score?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Curt

Many thanks for the follow up and the details of the outcome. Great news.

I will write more about the Premiere Elements 12 and 13 Music Scores at a later date. But for now you are moving forward

in your projects. The details of your outcome are appreciated by all.

Best wishes

ATR